-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Vaccinations (again)

Sc

Vaccinations (again)

Postby justjj » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:45 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/healt ... &seid=auto

"When Dr. Paul A. Offit published “Autism’s False Prophets” in 2008, he elected to skip the usual round of book signings. His defense of childhood vaccinations so enraged some people who consider them a cause of autism that he was getting credible death threats.

Others might have chosen to flee the public arena after that, but not Dr. Offit, the chief of infectious diseases at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, whose appetite for the good fight seems only to have grown. Over the last decade he has become a leading debunker of mass misconceptions surrounding infections and vaccines, and now he is taking on the entire field of alternative medicine, from acupuncture to vitamins.
..."

(single page http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/healt ... nted=print )
justjj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Vaccinations (again)

Postby Helix » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:19 pm

Paul Offit has had to put up with a lot of crap from the anti-vaxxers.

And in a not at all contrived segue, here's Ben Goldacre on the Awful Poo Lady (a.k.a Gillian McKeith).

...McKeith is a menace to the public understanding of science. She seems to misunderstand not nuances, but the most basic aspects of biology - things that a 14-year-old could put her straight on.

She talks endlessly about chlorophyll, for example: how it's "high in oxygen" and will "oxygenate your blood" - but chlorophyll will only make oxygen in the presence of light. It's dark in your intestines, and even if you stuck a searchlight up your bum to prove a point, you probably wouldn't absorb much oxygen in there, because you don't have gills in your gut. In fact, neither do fish. In fact, forgive me, but I don't think you really want oxygen up there, because methane fart gas mixed with oxygen is a potentially explosive combination.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby justjj » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:14 pm

and this wonderful science story ... which holds a lesson for us today in terms of persisting with long term studies and NOT hassling about short term results so much as we do.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-h ... y-mrc-nimr

"
80 years ago today: MRC researchers discover viral cause of flu

Forget bird flu and swine flu, it was ferret flu and The Field magazine that helped MRC scientists discover the influenza virus, after eleven years of dedicated research.

In the spring of 1933 a team of Medical Research Council (MRC) staff gathered nasal fluids and throat garglings from a sick researcher, filtered them, and dripped them into ferrets. Within forty-eight hours the ferrets would start sneezing and displaying signs of an influenza-like disease. This research formed the basis of an extraordinarily important Lancet paper by Wilson Smith, Christopher H Andrewes and Patrick Laidlaw, published on 8 July 1933, identifying a 'virus' as the primary causative agent for influenza. This was no serendipitous finding, but the result of a sustained campaign of funding and research.
The 1918-9 influenza pandemic and virus research

... "
justjj

Postby Helix » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Jonathan Tea Time wrote:The US Anti-Vaccine Body count

Gawd. That's a horribly high number of illnesses and deaths.
Helix

Postby Helix » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Following on from the body count, here's the New Yorker on Jenny McCarthy's dangerous views.

Jenny McCarthy, who will join “The View” in September, will be the show’s first co-host whose dangerous views on childhood vaccination may—if only indirectly—have contributed to the sickness and death of people throughout the Western world. (See jennymccarthybodycount.com.) McCarthy, who is savvy, telegenic, and pulchritudinous, is also the person most visibly associated with the deadly and authoritatively discredited anti-vaccine movement in the United States. She is not subtle: McCarthy once essentially threatened the actress Amanda Peet, who has often spoken out about the obvious benefits of childhood vaccinations, by warning Peet that she had an angry mob on her side. When people disagree with her views on television, McCarthy has been known to refute scientific data by shouting “bullshit.”

More at link.
Helix

Postby nut » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:06 pm

The Chiropractors' Association of Australia's policy on vaccination is as below:

The CAA (National) Board position on vaccination is:

Chiropractors do not provide vaccination services;
Chiropractors should encourage their patients to make informed health care decisions and to consult their GP in relation to the risks and benefits of vaccination.

Despite this the Chiropractors' Accociation provides links to Quest Chiropractic Coaching, a coaching organisation based out of Queensland. Quest believes that part of its Social Responsibility is to support both in "money and kind" the A[nti] Vaccination Network:

...Our commitment to humanity is to support those organizations that hold similar values to us and are out there doing great work. We support both in money and in kind.

Australian Vaccination Network

AVN is a volunteer organization with the aim to provide the public with resources to make an informed choice on vaccination issues. It is the most vocal public watchdog in the issue of forced mass medication.

Seems like a huge contradiction to me. A coaching orgainisation that promotes itself to all levels of its field is passing on its money, 'talent and wisdom' to professionals, undergraduates and students.

I found this after watching the Catalyst program Chiropractors. I left a message for the Chiropractic Association a week back but received only an automated reply "Thank you for taking the time contact the CAA. Your enquiry will be responded to shortly. ".
nut

Postby Teleost » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:03 am

You only need to have a look through the Quest's products page to work out that it's largely about providing very expensive promotional material.

Reception Area Presentation

"Transformative Thinking" is a DVD (1 hour and 45 minutes, containing 387 slides) designed for your reception area.

It contains a great wealth of chiropractic and medical research from pre-conception through to old age. There are also many chiropractic-related inspirational quotes, which will inform and inspire everyone in your reception area. Most of the slides have references to websites where the full article or quote can be accessed. No media download found.

Price:

Member $284.00
Non-member $355.00

I like the irony of a chriro being ripped off for services of dubious value :)
Teleost

Postby Jonathan Tea Time » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:46 am

Wales is in the grip of a measles epidemic, thanks to the anti-vaccine scare more than a decade ago. Once the critical mass of herd immunity dropped below a certain threshold, in came the old, deadly -- and utterly preventable -- disease.
Jonathan Tea Time

Postby Helix » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Teleost wrote:I like the irony of a chriro being ripped off for services of dubious value :)

Me too

*starts writing a business plan*
Helix

Postby Helix » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:11 pm

Have some schadenfreude pie. Also, good on the PM.

http://reasonablehank.com/2013/08/18/pr ... ryl-dorey/

ETA: And the Opposition leader too, I suppose:

http://reasonablehank.com/2013/08/18/op ... ryl-dorey/
Helix

Postby ilago » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:09 pm

I think this belongs in this old thread rather than a new one.

The map puts a bit of a picture to the childhood vaccination rates, in particular the areas where vaccination rates are low. If you click on an area it will bring up the stats for that area. Based on Google maps it may be a bit slow on some connections

Interactive map of rates of vaccination of children
ilago

Postby Woollybutt » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:02 pm

ilago wrote:I think this belongs in this old thread rather than a new one.[/url]

I'm already feeling back home again, vaccination thread :)
Woollybutt

Postby ilago » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:08 pm

And in a further development, the misnamed Australian Vaccination Network is to be forced to change it's name - finally.

The Administrative Decisions Tribunal decided the name "Australian Vaccination Network" (AVN) was likely to mislead an ordinary member of the public into thinking it provided comprehensive information about vaccination.
The victory is the end of long-running legal battles between the AVN and various arms of the NSW government as they have sought to prevent it from spreading misinformation about vaccines.

The AVN Group to be forced to change their name

A bonus of the decision is that they also lose their charity status.
ilago

Postby Jace Not JTQ » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:44 pm

AWESOME :)

Glad they also lose their charity status. They don't deserve it.
Solidarity brother!
Jace Not JTQ

Postby justjj » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:16 am

this is devastating .. in a couple of ways.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik ... z2r9zIeZ42

"Aaron Carroll today offers a graphic depiction of the toll of the anti-vaccination movement. (H/t: Kevin Drum.) It comes from a Council on Foreign Relations interactive map of "vaccine-preventable outbreaks" worldwide 2008-2014.

A couple of manifestations stand out. One is the prevalence of measles in Europe -- especially Britain -- and the U.S. Measles is endemic in the underdeveloped world because of the unavailability of the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine.

But in the developed world it's an artifact of the anti-vaccination movement, which has associated the vaccine with autism. That connection, promoted by the discredited British physician Andrew Wakefield
..."

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik ... z2rA0It2cE
justjj

Postby Helix » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:01 am

'ning

And this should be mandatory reading for anti-vaxxers. (Warning: NSFW)

How do vaccines cause autism?
Helix

Postby justjj » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:38 am

Good one Helix AND thanks too for that link Jonathan Teatime.

I thought this map might interest people as well, but can't recall if I have posted it before.

http://www.cfr.org/interactives/GH_Vacc ... x.html#map
justjj

Postby justjj » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:09 am

Gawd, I should stop reading these sites.

I've had a fungal ear infection which got medicos going .. so I looked up the internet and found this! I won't go looking again .. still, I wonder if scientists working on such vaccinations ever think it not worth it, given the dismissal of their work.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... demic.html
justjj

Postby Helix » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:30 am

Urk! There are a lot of mycoses and they're all unpleasant. (That's my valuable contribution for the day.)
Helix

Return to Science