-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Uni text books COST

Sc

Uni text books COST

Postby moonmaid » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:38 am

I haven't popped in for a while.

Could someone give me a rough idea of how much it costs for First Year Bachelor of Science textbooks please?
And would it be any more for Adv-Honours Bachelor of Science?

Thanks
MM
moonmaid

Re: Uni text books COST

Postby Helix » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:16 pm

That's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of a string' question, MM! The reading list will depend on the units and the units will depend on the composition of the degree. I'd think your best bet is to get a copy of the reading list and go from there. If your son doesn't have a copy to hand, the uni's website for that degree might have a list, even if it is broken down by units. If that's the case, you'll prob. have to go through it unit by unit to get the books and then look up the cost. Similarly, the uni book shop might have a list online.

Generally, uni texts are fairly expensive, but -- depending on the topic -- sometimes slightly out of date editions available second-hand are okay. Also, the uni library will have multiple hard copies on reserve. There might also be electronic copies accessible in the library or at home. (Which reminds me that the library might also have a list of the relevant books.)
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby moonmaid » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks Helix,
I obviously have no idea! Finishing off the last of the scholarship applications, a local one for small amounts due in end of Dec. I had to list the costs for the first year. The kid is doing things, so has left me to finish it off. His having morning tea with the "high" haha achievers. None of them got a band 6 despite there being a few brilliant kids. It isn't the best school. They'll catch up in uni. Also getting photos taken for the local newspaper, his aunty is the journalist/photographer, so she can photoshop out his zits thank goodness :)
moonmaid

Postby Teleost » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:59 pm

As Helix says, it depends on a whole swag of things and unless your last name is Trump or Rockerfeller, buying every single book new is going to see you selling kidneys.

I reckon the best thing to do is to wait for a few weeks into a subject and decide whether it's even worth buying the text. In my first year at uni, I was poorer than poor. I certainly couldn't afford to buy all the texts. I made do quite well with books from the library.

In my whole time at uni, I only bought 3 or 4 brand new books. Nearly all the rest were second hand. Just before census time, there are usually a swathe of students dropping out of classes who need to get rid of books. That's a great time to get them at a good price. Another option is http://www.textbookexchange.com.au/content.php/25.html.
Teleost

Postby moonmaid » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:18 pm

Thanks Teleost! Your info is a great help.

M.M. Rinehart-Palmer
C/- 2 man tent in a relo's garage of tiny, old rental place.
(until I re-organise after uni starts).
Ha! I'm house sitting soon and looking after 2 dogs in about the best positioned house in the area, a huge waterfront.
-- from rags to riches, well for two weeks.
moonmaid

Postby Teleost » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:52 pm

I've got a bit of an idea on your situation Moonmaid.

I lived that way for a few years and can't imagine having a youngun with me while doing it.

The housesit thing is awesome. Once you've done a few, you get great refs and can get even more comfy digs.
Teleost

Return to Science