-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

baking soda to washing soda

Sc

baking soda to washing soda

Postby Toni » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:20 pm

long story short I want to make a solution to prepare fabric for printing.
one of the ingredients is washing soda. I can probably get it in woolies, will check it out.
anyhow, I found a page that says to convert baking soda to washing soda, you heat it in a 400 deg oven until it becomes grainy
she says "The difference between baking soda and washing soda is water and carbon dioxide. Seriously. Baking soda's chemical makeup is NaHCO3 (1 sodium, 1 hydrogen, one carbon, and 3 oxygen molecules). Washing soda's chemical makeup is Na2CO3 (2 sodium, 1 carbon, and 3 oxygen molecules). When baking soda is heated up to high temperatures, it breaks down to become washing soda, water steam, and carbon dioxide.".

is this true?
just had a thought...do I need carbon dioxide in my oven?

also where would I find alum?

thanks
Toni

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: baking soda to washing soda

Postby justjj » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi Toni,
I don't know the answer to your first question, but of the last, we used to ge it from the local chemist.
justjj

Postby Toni » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:58 pm

hi jj :)
whats it used for?
Toni

Postby Helix » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:59 pm

You can make washing soda (sodium carbonate) from baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), but you'll probably end up with less than you started with. Much easier just to get washing soda. They cost about the same and there's none of that faffing around with hot ovens.

As justjj said, check with the pharmacy for alum. I haven't bought any for years. (I used it for drying animal skins.) It's not cheap. You can prob. get it online.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby Helix » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:02 pm

Alum is used as a mordant to fix dyes, I think. And I've just checked on eBay. It's not hugely expensive and you can buy it in 750g bags.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby Toni » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:06 pm

jolly good thanks.
I just read on another site that if you don't keep it airtight it can turn back to baking soda...
pretty sure they sell it with washing powder anyway. will check it out.
(someone in the US says they buy alum in the spice aisle....I'll probably try bunnings or similar)
Toni

Postby Teleost » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:47 am

You should be able to buy washing soda at the stupidmarket. The brand that comes to mind is "Lectric soda".

Alum is also used as a flocculant to clear dirty water.
Teleost

Postby Toni » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:52 pm

my bunnings is useless. no one knew what alum was. I tried looking around but didn't know where to start.
supermarket no longer sells washing soda.
gunna try asian grocery for alum, apparently its used in pickling.
today has been a day when I can't find anything I need. *sigh*
Toni

Postby Toni » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:58 pm

about my post before...where someone said that left exposed to air washing soda will revert to baking soda, is that right?
surely that would mean your packet of washing soda would be rendered useless pretty fast?
Toni

Postby justjj » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:03 pm

It sounded odd to me too Toni; maybe the two are interchangable?

I always used to get alum from the chemist shop.
It was used as part of a mix for deterring possums, in one case and for putting in dam water (I think) for another.
justjj

Postby morrie » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:22 pm

Alum has several meanings, but in your terms you are looking for Aluminium sulphate. Try a pool chemical shop.

Washing soda will absorb carbon dioxide. Whether it will go all the way to baking soda depends on conditions I think. There is a mixed carbonate called Trona, which occurs in vast deposits in Wyoming, having been formed under natural conditions.

Washing soda is commonly sold in supermarkets.
morrie

Postby Teleost » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:32 pm

Holy shit!

A chemist!

*Holds up crucifix and backs away hissing*
Teleost

Return to Science