-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Astrophysics or Chemistry?

Sc

Astrophysics or Chemistry?

Postby moonmaid » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:00 pm

My son is finishing up his first year of BSc. Physics has always been his best subject and he thought that he would major in Astrophysics
but now he has a learn towards Chemistry and can't make up his mind between them.

He has to decide by the time uni starts again next year so he has a few months yet.

I can see mind boggling discoveries in astrophysics for the future what about Chemistry?

Maybe it's because he has made more friends with the Chemistry gang - and one of the tutors brings in beer that he has bought on special
for after their tut's or whatever on Friday evenings of cheap booze :)
moonmaid

Re: Astrophysics or Chemistry?

Postby Helix » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:17 pm

That's the thing about uni -- it opens up a range of possibilities! He might want to talk to the coordinators of all the courses he's considering to get an idea of where he might want to go in the future.

There are more jobs in chemistry than in astrophysics.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby Teleost » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:19 pm

He's in first year. There's no need to rush. What's his current major?

If he wants to change his major, it's a good time to be thinking about it.

In terms of job opportunities after uni, Chemistry would have to be the way to go. Astrophysics is short on companies needing staff as it's pretty much pure science. Whereas we all need a different smelling shampoor or better deodorant or a block of Flubber.
Teleost

Postby *jj* » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:15 am

What a dilemma, eh?

He will probably have made up his own mind by then, but fwiw ...

*anecdote*

One of the kids here was convinced to do engineering when Uni time came, by school counsellor,because of jobs prospects, instead of the chemistry which he loved.

Ten years later, well paid and not UNhappy but certainly not doing work he wished he had been, he quit and went back to Uni and did Chemistry.

While his pay and prospects aren't what they were (pay engineering in the "defence industry is not so bad) he is happy ... he also brews his own beer :)))

With a young family, the pay issue IS significant, but not enough to spend your days tied to something debilitating.

*end of sermon*
Good Luck
*jj*

Postby moonmaid » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks for your thoughts,

He was into engineering for a little while at High School and the School nominated him to go to Honeywell Engineering Summer School and the team his was in at another venue won The Great Engineering Challenge at UNSW ... all that was enough to decide that he didn't want to do it.

He hasn't got a major yet. As far as I know they don't have one in the first year. This year he has studied maths, physics, biology and chemistry. He would have like to do a computer course as well ... and wishes he had done that instead of biology ... biology definitely out now.
It seems a process of elimination. Only two left.

I encourage him to do whatever he is interested in instead of job prospects. I use to go the job way with Engineering in mind but now have turned around to go the greatest interest, a bit like JJ's friends' experience of not going with his passion.

He is doing a RSA/G course in his break to get work ... maybe he can be a barman if no astrophysics jobs for a while or keep studying. He will eventually get some $ when his old grandmother dies. Not a nice thought but the reality is that he will be able to pay off the Hex debt. He had been working in a modern penny-arcade thing for 3 years while at school but there isn't much call for that :) He hasn't worked this year at uni he received enough of a scholarship to scrape through. He wants to work as a Security Guard at the uni next year but needs his car licence for that (will have by then). I'm not happy with that job. He's 6'3" but hasn't done karate or boxing etc. and too many maniacs on drugs with knives.

Hope you pick the right nag today.
moonmaid

Postby *jj* » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:24 am

Definitely Astro stuff this week
:)
this is the twitter stream that might be of interest.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/CometLanding?src=hash
*jj*

Return to Science