-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Chat

Sc

Re: Chat

Postby roughbarked » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:12 pm

Speaking of birds seen out the window. The landlord has an olive tree and speculation was that it is too hot here for olives because he hadn't got any olives from it in 30 years. I noticed a pair of white headed pigeons sitting in the top of the tree a couple of days running so I decided to try photographing them. It turned out that the reason they were there was also the reason he never saw an olive.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:36 pm

roughbarked wrote:Speaking of birds seen out the window. The landlord has an olive tree and speculation was that it is too hot here for olives because he hadn't got any olives from it in 30 years. I noticed a pair of white headed pigeons sitting in the top of the tree a couple of days running so I decided to try photographing them. It turned out that the reason they were there was also the reason he never saw an olive.

Northern NSW too hot for olives? No.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby Helix » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:51 pm

Over the past few days, the garden has been full of dark phase lemon (e)migrant butterflies. Hundreds of them. It's been magical. And, of course, I didn't take a photo when I had the opportunity.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:25 pm

Helix wrote:Over the past few days, the garden has been full of dark phase lemon (e)migrant butterflies. Hundreds of them. It's been magical. And, of course, I didn't take a photo when I had the opportunity.

They are hard to snap when they are flying. I saw a dozen lemon yellow ones trouping along like they were off to the movies together, Didn't have a camera with me..
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:27 pm

Helix wrote:
roughbarked wrote:Speaking of birds seen out the window. The landlord has an olive tree and speculation was that it is too hot here for olives because he hadn't got any olives from it in 30 years. I noticed a pair of white headed pigeons sitting in the top of the tree a couple of days running so I decided to try photographing them. It turned out that the reason they were there was also the reason he never saw an olive.

Northern NSW too hot for olives? No.

Anyway, the olives are at the top of the large tree and there's no way they'll drop on the ground as the pigeons will have them all before then.
roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:20 pm

flying spaghetti monster wrote:Thanks for the link to the Tim Winton article, jj. A good read.
This is a subject that has interested me since I was a young'un, watching those who believed they were the betters, and observing what became of them over the years. Sometimes, being a quiet watcher is a good thing.

Thanks for the feedback on that flying spaghetti monster.

It's a really touchy subject, I know .

I've been reading Craig McGregor's stuff on class in Australia for many years and always found him instructive too.

I think too, that it goes well with Elizabeth Warrren's "decline of the middle class" lecture, though it takes a quite different perspective ... in the USA there seems to be "the poor" (including the "working poor" which we too are finding out about now) rather than "working class".

Words are such traps, but I still like fighting with them for their layers of meanings.

So long as the words are somehow verboten we don't seem able to work out what is enabling the economic violence being done to those not so well-off, by others.

ON reading Winton I was reminded of my mother, on reading a US novel, "Christy" and coming across the term "white trash". It was like a lightbulb moment for her and she thought it useful ... AND made sure that we kids knew that is how her own family was regarded when she was a child. She was fierce about it.

She not only never forgot her own later good fortune but stressed the public humiliation of the lack of privacy for her and her siblings by being made to take "free" books etc at school.

I can't believe we are returning to that kind of public/punitive attitude to those needing support.

She also made sure we understood that infrastructure work provided employment and dignity for her Dad, who had been unemployed for ages ... pity I didn't realise much of the value of what she was saying long before she died.
Her derision for today's "fancy terms" (her word) dressing up the word "poor", was one of the few times I heard her swear ... "that fancy shit"

anyhow, enough of that ... we have a long haul ahead of us I think; better save up what energy I have :)
*jj*

Postby flying spaghetti monster » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:27 pm

>>Her derision for today's "fancy terms" (her word) dressing up the word "poor", was one of the few times I heard her swear ... "that fancy shit"<<

Made me laugh, that did.

>>we have a long haul ahead of us I think; better save up what energy I have :)<<

Heh heh. Yes.

I can well believe we are returning to that punitive attitude to those that need support, sadly, as it seems to be human nature, this need to find someone to heap derision upon. If it is not the unemployed, then it would be a different race, single mothers, other religions, the liberal party....

Ahhh, jj, that word dignity. That's what really gets to me. How so many decisions being taken have and will further strip away the dignity of the vulnerable. By people who seek to wear the trappings of dignity. Blue ties, mayoral chains, titles, lots of blah blah blah. But as my own family experience proved, none of the fancy trappings can protect you from an unexpected descent into vulnerability. So I'm afraid the only trappings of dignity I'll respond to is a person with brains who uses them well.

I had a nice demonstration of this topic today. I brought home two new chickens last night, an ISA Brown and a bantam. I thought the bantam would be good company, but the big girl has been chasing the little one around mercilessly all day. Finally this afternoon, the bantam slipped out the door and wouldn't be caught. The big chook is now quite upset at being alone. Well....

Anyway, the Tim Winton made me go to the library and borrow one of his books, Eyrie. 10 pages in, and it's wonderful. From the jacket- 'Eyrie asks how, in an impossibly compromised world, we can ever hope to do the right thing'.

I reckon some of the right things start with a garden. And chickens. And liking being an undignified nanna.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
flying spaghetti monster

Postby *jj* » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:21 am

Hello Grasshopper :)

flying spaghetti monster wrote:...
I reckon some of the right things start with a garden. And chickens. And liking being an undignified nanna.

I'm up with all but the chickens, although I do have the chook pen ready to get them.
Am planning on bantam Light Sussex. :)
Can't get them until I am past taking trips away from home though .. my compensation!
:)
I spent a year living in Mum's shed a few years ago now; went inside when doing paperwork for work ... was horrified at it all and then one day I spoke of how I hated having to classify people by "socio-economic status" but if I didn't their family support could be affected ... she was aghast (and I didn't feel much better).
Now we are dependent on teachers doing the labeling for our disabled g'son to get professional help with his education ... #GotUsComingAndGoing
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:40 am

train your chooks to fight off the magpie. Image
roughbarked

Postby flying spaghetti monster » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:38 pm

Light Sussex bantams would be the very very nice to have.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
flying spaghetti monster

Postby roughbarked » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:47 pm

I like the red chooks. Best mentality.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:20 am

*looks at Qld election results*

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:19 am

Helix wrote:*looks at Qld election results*

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Congratulations Queensland. :)
roughbarked

Postby buffy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:47 am

But they said Federal politics didn't affect State politics......as someone said on the Holiday Forum...imagine what would have happened if Tony had actually participated in the Queensland campaign....
buffy

Postby Helix » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:10 pm

Tbh, the Qld LNP govt were so bad that they could have lost the election on their own. It was like having Joh in power, except more blatant!
Helix

Postby Teleost » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:36 pm

Joh was evil, but at least he had charisma!

I'm so glad that that vile, slimy, arrogant, cretinous, evil gnome has gone along with his boot licking ex Murdoch toady from Cairns but the damage has been done. They'll probably end up with a nice comfy trade mission somewhere while I'm left waiting for someone to die if I want career advancement.

I can't see the current situation being much of an improvement. As a friend said this morning "You know that feeling you get when you step out of that steaming pile of cow shit, only to step onto a big gooey dog turd?". The economy is unlikely to improve with this change. Anna II has inherited a very poor position. It's unlikely that she'll be able to alter the unemployment rate. The very, very cynical part of me that borders on conspiracy nut (I'll push him back into his box soon I promise ;) ) suggests that the LNP deliberately threw the election so they can become knights in shining armour again in 3-4 years time.

I miss the days when for good or bad, pollies had vision and personality. It doesn't seem to matter these days. They're all full of the proverbial, each one is as bad as the next and not a visionary or true leader amongst them. I'm tired of people voting them out with little concern about who/what they're voting in. That's how we ended up in this mess in the first place with both state and federal.

I wasn't a fan of Keating, but I love his phrase "unrepresentative swill".

The whole system is so broken that it's not worth fixing.
Teleost

Postby buffy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm sorry you feel so depressed about it all Teleost. I am more optimistic. We live in a beautiful country which by and large is OK. I worry about people of extremes, but I know about the bell curve. So I live in the knowledge that statistically speaking, most people are pretty good.

Don't despair. I think the human animal can be a really horrible animal, but we live a good life here really.
buffy

Postby Helix » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:21 pm

We're still waiting for the counting to finish. The predictions are ALP 44, LNP 42, KAP 2 and Ind 1. Since the independent has already indicated that he is happy to work with Labor and our local member Shane Knuth (KAP) has said once again that he won't have a bar of any government that includes Seeney and Nicholls, it looks as though a minority ALP government is on the way. I'd imagine working with Anna Palaszczuk would be easier than having to deal with the vicious, lawless associates of the LNP.
Helix

Postby fsm » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:56 am

Yesterday afternoon we went to catch up with Brendan to help celebrate his recent betrothal. There were enough SSSF people there to convene a mini-pud.

Across the front row: Ms Spock, fsm, Ruby
Acrosss the back row: Fresnel Chick, Brendan, MissCarol, Starling Bird

Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby roughbarked » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:02 pm

cool. :)
roughbarked

Postby moonmaid » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:47 pm

Lovely rain, sigh, is a relief after the heat.

Question about all the countries that are in debt. Who loans them money? China? (for ALL of them).

I had a quick google and didn't find an answer but read that the government can also raise money from citizens who buy bonds.
moonmaid

Postby nut » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:07 pm

Salt lamps came up in conversation today. Always remember while they may look nice they don't do anything else beyond being a lamp.

Have a nice night :)
nut

Postby roughbarked » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:56 am

I'm told that Himalayan Salt Lamps help reduce allergens, moisture, pollutants, and electromagnetic frequencies, and create potentially soothing effects inside your home. Using a himalayan salt lamp can create negative ions in the air which reduce indoor air pollution, allergens and improves mood & sleep, and reduces stress.

How do they do this magic?

Himalayan pink salt lamps purify air through the power of hygroscopy, meaning that they attract water molecules from the surrounding... er surrounding what? I don't know, I only copied the headlines.

I wonder if they sharpen razor blades?
roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:59 pm

and greetings to all ... at the end of long day.
Saw senate enquiry / estimates re fire ants a week (or more?) ago, so hope that proves positive outcome for Teleost and teams.

Am weeding Disa like mad at home; glad to hear your report buffy

Red brome another pesty one ... watering seedling hakeas etc.

Hoping to take Hakea francisiana seedlings back to country for reveg project soonish and while there to collect (some) seed from single standing Grevillea juncifolia too, before it carks it.

Still only 5 YTBCs so far. So much country burnt out.
Loved seeing Red Tailed ones in WA.
That's it from me ... trust all are well / busy etc
*jj*

Postby Teleost » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:31 pm

*waves at jj*

Bloody senate estimates with their 10 green army team rubbish. I've got two teams and by the time I've get them trained to the standard they need to be, I lose them. We dispatched a letter post haste correcting their figures :)

At the moment we have a game of political tennis going on. The feds say they'll chip in as long as the state does. The state says the feds need to put the money on the table, and local government are doing their best to put their fingers in their ears going "lalalalalala".

I think we'll get there. The most important thing is to get them to come to terms before next June when we'll run out of money for bait.
Teleost

Postby roughbarked » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:35 am

Teleost wrote:*waves at jj*

Bloody senate estimates with their 10 green army team rubbish. I've got two teams and by the time I've get them trained to the standard they need to be, I lose them. We dispatched a letter post haste correcting their figures :)

At the moment we have a game of political tennis going on. The feds say they'll chip in as long as the state does. The state says the feds need to put the money on the table, and local government are doing their best to put their fingers in their ears going "lalalalalala".

I think we'll get there. The most important thing is to get them to come to terms before next June when we'll run out of money for bait.

This is the same as it is with the fifo backpackers.

I've seen bosses smacking them in the head and dropping them to the ground.

Sacking me for using my own initiative and never admitting their fault.

Er; by same, I didn't mean you.

What I meant was more like; why doesn't someone train the resources we do have?
roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:04 pm

I can't resist ...

https://firstdogonthemoon.com.au/shop/f ... -soft-toy/

but which to choose?
*jj*

Postby Helix » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:50 pm

*jj* wrote:I can't resist ...

https://firstdogonthemoon.com.au/shop/f ... -soft-toy/

but which to choose?

I bought a calendar and some Christmas cards. I do like the look of the ABC Interpretive Dance Bandicoot, as featured on this very site. (If it's still there.)
Helix

Postby nut » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:00 pm

*shakes head at JJ*

Though I do like the bandicoot :)
nut

Postby buffy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:09 pm

I'd go for Brenda, but then that is my sister's name. And it amuses me to see it used in that context.
buffy

Postby Helix » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:30 am

I went over to the house yesterday to unpack, because I am determined not to live among packing boxes for the next six years. Instead, I spent the time birdwatching. Maybe I'll just unpack a box a day.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:36 pm

Helix wrote:I went over to the house yesterday to unpack, because I am determined not to live among packing boxes for the next six years. Instead, I spent the time birdwatching. Maybe I'll just unpack a box a day.

Sounds good. A bit of unpacking and a lot of birdwatching. :) I was just harvesting lentils and a small brown snake slithered around my bare feet.
roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:44 am

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... s-any-more

"Something happened around 2006 or seven which meant that the usual politeness where you argue over ideas became, instead, a kind of assault – a propaganda assault – which most of us were not expecting."
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:39 pm

*jj* wrote:"Something happened around 2006 or seven which meant that the usual politeness where you argue over ideas became, instead, a kind of assault – a propaganda assault – which most of us were not expecting."

As far as it goes. It is like arguing with the Daesh.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:37 pm

Anyway, I have now been arguing with Diana for forty years since she wanted a marriage of ideas.
roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:02 pm

Imagine the Science / health / welfare / whatever we could "afford" if these people paid their taxes.
"Almost 600 major corporations did not pay tax in 2013-14 financial year, Australian Taxation Office says"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-17/a ... 14/7036324

And a more detailed consideration from the dreaded Crikey.
It's only available by subscription, hence the whole slab quoted for those interested.

"Transfield, News Corp and Exxon Mobil paid no tax in 2013-14

JOSH TAYLOR
Crikey journalist

The list of over 1500 large corporate taxpayers has been published by the Australian Taxation Office, for the first time revealing how much tax some of the biggest companies operating in Australia pay.

Under changes in tax transparency legislation passed by the former Labor government, the ATO is required to publish the name, income, taxable income, and tax payable for every public and foreign-owned corporation with income over $100 million.

The resulting list published on data.gov.au for the 2013-14 financial year contains over 1500 companies comprising 985 foreign-owned companies and 554 Australian-owned companies.

One of the most surprising results on the list is that Transfield Services, the controversial company running many of Australia's offshore immigration detention centres, had no tax payable in Australia in 2013-14, on its revenue of $2.8 billion and taxable income of $16 million. The company's annual report reveals its net profit for the year was $67 million.

News Australia Holdings, the owner of News' paper publishing and printing company, had $2.8 billion in revenues but paid no tax in the 2013-2014 financial year. Fairfax Media had $1.6 billion in revenues and paid $16 million on $69.7 million of taxable income.

The results reveal:

Wesfarmers tops the list at $67.4 billion in revenue, with a taxable income of $3.7 billion, and tax payable at $1 billion;
Woolworths is second at $49.6 billion in revenue, taxable income of $3.1 billion, and tax payable at $910 million; and
Telstra pays more tax than Woolworths and Wesfarmers at $1.7 billion, despite revenues of $26 billion. Taxable income was $5.9 billion.

The global tech companies, a favourite of politicians to target for tax minimisation in Australia were also included:

Apple had revenue of $6.1 billion, taxable income of $247 million, and tax payable of $74.1 million;
Google's revenue was $357 million, with a taxable income of $90.8 million, and tax payable of $9.2 million; and
Microsoft's revenue was $547 million, with a taxable income of $103.8 million, and tax payable of $31.1 million.

Which company had the most tax payable? BHP Billiton at $3.9 billion, followed by Rio Tinto at $3 billion, and the Commonwealth Bank at $2.8 billion.

Philip Morris, the tobacco giant, had revenue of $3.2 billion, with a taxable income of $746 million, and tax payable of $223 million.

Some of the biggest revenues reported in the year with no tax payable included:

Chevron with revenue of $3 billion;
CITEC Resources with revenue of $5 billion;
Downer EDI with revenue of $6.5 billion;
Energy Australia with $8.8 billion in revenue;
ExxonMobil with $9.6 billion in revenue;
GHP with $11.7 billion in revenue;
Lend Lease with $7.6 billion in revenue; and
Qantas with $14.9 billion in revenue.

The Commissioner of Taxation, Chris Jordan, has been at pains to point out that companies not paying tax in one financial year does not mean they are avoiding tax, with more than 20% of ASX-listed companies making an accounting loss in any given year, including Qantas, which reported a $2.84 billion loss in the 2013-2014 financial year:

"No tax paid does not necessarily mean tax avoidance. Any companies with unusual financial or taxation numbers are closely investigated by the ATO. Over half of these 1500 companies have been subject to ATO review or audit over the past three years, with the ATO’s risk and intelligence systems working all the time to ensure that we can all have confidence in the tax system."

Nevertheless, Jordan says that the ATO will be continuing to challenge the way foreign-owned entities structure their companies to ensure very little tax is paid on profits generated in Australia, and says the publication of the data today will mean companies will now have to consider the reputational issues associated with having tax data available to the public.

Early next year the ATO releases similar information for Australian-owned private companies with revenues of over $200 million, under legislation passed by the government with the support of the Greens earlier this month. Labor was pushing for the threshold to be set at $100 million, and has complained that the deal done with the Greens to pass the legislation in the last sitting week of this year will exclude close to 600 Australian companies that have revenues of over $100 million but below $200 million from reporting."
*jj*

Postby *jj* » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:24 am

And a specially short sharp and shiny, but sincere "Thank You" to fsm for keeping this little home away from home going.
I appreciate it, even if I'm not here very much.
Cheers!
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:14 am

:) ditto.
roughbarked

Postby Grasshopper » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:53 pm

G'dayl and a Very Happy New Year to all.

Has this http://www.scienceforums.com/forum/11-biology/ taken place of the other forum that used to be with the Gardening forum? Or is the Holiday forum just there for the holiday time?
Grasshopper

Postby roughbarked » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:12 am

Grasshopper wrote:G'dayl and a Very Happy New Year to all.

Has this http://www.scienceforums.com/forum/11-biology/ taken place of the other forum that used to be with the Gardening forum? Or is the Holiday forum just there for the holiday time?

Don’t rub noses with a shark. It may be the last dental appointment you ever have, :phones:

Buffy

Well, buffy is there.. ;)
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:03 pm

I don't know that science forum, Grassie. I doubt that many of the old gang use it.

The holiday forum's still active, but I don't think they talk about science much.
Helix

Postby buffy » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:29 pm

Not me. Someone else. I've never been to that forum. And looking at the picture, I'd say a much younger one than me too.

We did get some rain. 20mm. For which we are truly grateful. But not looking forward to a 39 on Thursday. I hope there is not too much wind with it like last week.
buffy

Postby Teleost » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:59 pm

Everyone who's still around are either at the Holiday forum or on the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/55383347592/. It's just the small group of Scribblysaurs who keep this place alive.
Teleost

Postby Mad Man Moon » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:34 am

Happy Old Year, Grasshopper! ;)

I'm wondering if you picked up that forum from my Hyperforum page? When the Orange in the Dark forum disappeared, I put a link to that forum there because I thought people who still use the Hyperforum might find that community interesting.

Suppose I should put a FB group link on it as well.
‘I would teach the children music, physics and philosophy, but the most important is music; for in the patterns of the arts are the keys to all learning.’ -- Plato
Mad Man Moon

Postby roughbarked » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:10 am

buffy wrote:Not me. Someone else. I've never been to that forum. And looking at the picture, I'd say a much younger one than me too.

We did get some rain. 20mm. For which we are truly grateful. But not looking forward to a 39 on Thursday. I hope there is not too much wind with it like last week.

I think his/her avvy is of the real buffy the vampire slayer perhaps. We had 23 mm here which was a delightful chrissie pressie.

It is an interesting forum but the metallurgist should have told this bloke that there was little or no gold to extract from old electrical gear. http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/2874 ... ntry338578
roughbarked

Postby Mad Man Moon » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:59 am

Mad Man Moon wrote:Suppose I should put a FB group link on it as well.

Done. :)

http://chrw.customer.netspace.net.au/hf/hgd.html
‘I would teach the children music, physics and philosophy, but the most important is music; for in the patterns of the arts are the keys to all learning.’ -- Plato
Mad Man Moon

Postby roughbarked » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:09 am

Seems that most of the internet has converted to facebook. Maybe one day...
roughbarked

Postby Teleost » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:30 am

Who was that masked man?????
Teleost

Happy New Year!

Postby Helix » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:13 pm

I'll say it early because I will probably be asleep by midnight.

Happy New Year!
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:24 pm

:) I'll probably nod off by then as well.

happy new year to all.
roughbarked

PreviousNext

Return to Science