-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Chat

Sc

Re: Chat

Postby *jj* » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:33 pm

and from me too.
Was just woken by kid texting me "Happy New Year now, so I won't wake you later"
:)

Great NY honours list award in UK, Dr Sue Black
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35202667
*jj*

Postby *jj* » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:36 pm

Take Two
and from me too.
Was just woken by kid texting me "Happy New Year now, so I won't wake you later"

Great NY honours list award in UK, Dr Sue Black
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35202667
*jj*

Postby *jj* » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:38 pm

bugger it!
It will have to stay in chat
Nightio
*jj*

Postby Teleost » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:49 am

Happy new year. I heard the fireworks from town as I just as I was drifting off to sleep.
Teleost

Postby roughbarked » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:01 pm

I got my fireworks off the TV.

roughbarked

Postby nut » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Happy new year everyone.
nut

Postby Helix » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:36 pm

Hello, nut! Hope it's not too hot in your neck of the woods.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby Milieu intérieur » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:36 pm

very quiet (whispers)

dumb remembered me password
Milieu intérieur

Postby *jj* » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:44 am

Morning All ... and hi mi
We seem to have had enough rain to record at last
18mm here.
Everything looks/feels like it might be worth living for another day.
Luckily I collected a heap of seeds from the bush last week; all the seeds have since dropped.

After some months of thinking my eyesight was seriously deteriorating because I could rarely spot the pardalote I could hear close by, I've been laughingly told, "Didn't you know they can throw their voices?"
Since scanning more widely I have seen it twice this week, including this morning with a juvenile, so I'm pretty happy.
It does make me wonder
a) if it is true and
b) ) how it could be
What evolutionary pathway it could follow.
I can imagine bonuses but also downsides.

Anyhow, I will keep watching and listening and looking to see if it was just me not being careful enough with my direction-finding-apparatus.
In the meantime am pulling up more weeds while the ground is soft again ... agapanthus included now they have flowered and the birds finished partying in them
... cuppa time and outside
*jj*

Postby Milieu intérieur » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:45 am

>"Didn't you know they can throw their voices?"

Try to stay optometristic.

Nice day here.

Got some rain few days back, 'nough to 'ave puddles on sides of, and 'cross roads in places.
Milieu intérieur

Postby Milieu intérieur » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:33 pm

beer with meal near put me to sleep, not all bad
Milieu intérieur

Postby Milieu intérieur » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:53 pm

Coffee time. Been out checked all 'em water meters, all nine, none leaks, except a trough was slightly overflowin'. Has no PRV that very short line to a trough a single one, and the ballcock arm's not quite long 'enough, or the floats not quite big 'nough dependin' how you see it. Pressure varies some'n does gets high.

Sky's nice, few fluffy cloud but not many. Pleasant southerly breeze, warm in the sun, not hot.

Lady's down Tunarama Town, though's 'voiding that, been seen doctor get skin checked out, 'cause not so far back did have a melanoma removed, she's high-risk got it scottish skin.
Milieu intérieur

Postby roughbarked » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:10 am

roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:19 am

It looks like a beautiful day for their festival.

Three weeks or so ago I was there, camped at North Shields , looking across the bay to the town ... well, thel city I guess.
The rising sun caught what appeared to be a big new silo at the wharf.
Couldn't work it out, but it turned out to be a _huge_ ocean liner.
Pretty amazing seeing it parked in so close; little wonder the early people thought it a good location for the capital of SA.

Disappointed to realise that with today public holiday I won't have a kiddo to care for and so could have got away for a long w/e (coz am off duty for a couple more days) but probably too many on the road to relax anyhow.

It's time I got my camera out properly, rb, and learned to use it (traded old one in for "better" but I hate it ... too complicated ... time for a little discipline and get stuck into it)

Now, out into this glorious day here to continue replacing dead seedlings while weather is kindish ... then they can call this #SurvivalDay too.
Cheers Everyone.
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:56 am

*jj* wrote:It looks like a beautiful day for their festival.

Three weeks or so ago I was there, camped at North Shields , looking across the bay to the town ... well, thel city I guess.
The rising sun caught what appeared to be a big new silo at the wharf.
Couldn't work it out, but it turned out to be a _huge_ ocean liner.
Pretty amazing seeing it parked in so close; little wonder the early people thought it a good location for the capital of SA.

Disappointed to realise that with today public holiday I won't have a kiddo to care for and so could have got away for a long w/e (coz am off duty for a couple more days) but probably too many on the road to relax anyhow.

It's time I got my camera out properly, rb, and learned to use it (traded old one in for "better" but I hate it ... too complicated ... time for a little discipline and get stuck into it)

Now, out into this glorious day here to continue replacing dead seedlings while weather is kindish ... then they can call this #SurvivalDay too.
Cheers Everyone.

:) Survival day. I like it.

What is your new camera?

I'd love some decent modern equipment but again other priorities usually get all the money.

Yes. It was harbour depth and protection that were and still are the desirable criteria.
roughbarked

Postby Milieu intérieur » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:54 pm

Pleasant day, clear sky, maybe a south-westerly breeze (looking at bamboos out the window). Warm, not hot. 32C max today lady just responded.

Late trough cleaning session lastnight, back about 4:30am. I remembered that about fifty of one mob had jumped a fence into a paddock where haven't checked the trough for over a week.

All's well.
Milieu intérieur

Postby *jj* » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Kids in bed ... one crook so it's been a longish day and I have now handed them over to their parents and retreated to ALF where they'll deliver my evening meal later ... it's a good system .. works for me!

Have had beaut weather here too; always a bonus at the end of January, isn't it.

I am ready to put something like one of your farm type troughs in the bush at home, for the birds, mi, complete with float etc I haven't had any frogs / tadpoles in the little tiny permanent pond close to the house either, so think maybe something larger might help.

it's not that I don't lke doing bucketing water so much as that I am running out of puff. ON top of that the housesitter I usually get in when I am away isn't able to manage it ... so ... time to look online for some supplies I think.

Daughter and partner are ready to shoot neighbour's sheep that have got into their place and eaten off young grafted fruit trees ... not happy :)

My new(ish) camera is a Canon ... 7D ... "a nice piece of kit" I was told.
I fell for some flattery, so it serves me right :(

The program you mentioned buffy is the kind that would have had me turn a tv on, if I had one; every so often I am tempted.

So , that's me up to date... the thread about the work of minds has me wondering about meditation's play/collusion? with the elements of the discussion ... but more than that I can't think tonight.
cyaz
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:56 pm

"Daughter and partner are ready to shoot neighbour's sheep that have got into their place and eaten off young grafted fruit trees ... not happy :)"

Pen them and charge for agistment.

Canon make nice cameras. Have always done so. Probably a leader in digital cameras as well. Perhaps not as portable as some others though.
roughbarked

Postby buffy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:42 pm

>>The program you mentioned buffy is the kind that would have had me turn a tv on, if I had one; every so often I am tempted<<

it was a bit disappointing actually, seemed to be a prelude that never really got to the outcomes.
I think it's on YouTube or otherwise online if you can be bothered. I wouldn't worry.

The rain overshot us again. Geelong got theirs and ours and ended up flooded I hear.
buffy

Postby Milieu intérieur » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:20 am

lady'n I's in the city stayin' at daughter's. Probably off home after doctors 'pointment though's no hurry.

overcast, bit windy from westish

watchin' few movies on Netflix
Milieu intérieur

Postby Helix » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:40 am

That footage from Geelong was quite impressive. I'd be less impressed had I been parked near Deakin, but it looked amazing on the monitor.

Not much rain around here, although the monsoon trough might reappear next week. Lots of trees are still flowering and fruiting, so there's plenty of wildlife around. Highlights: superb fruit-doves; pied, black-faced and spectacled monarchs; and rather too many brown tree snakes, including this feisty young 'un.

Helix

Postby Milieu intérieur » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:40 pm

'bout done with comedy today
had a strum of various guitars here, and other stringed instruments
larry's lookin' at me and done his sneeze thing, wantin' for a walk I'd expect

asked him if he wants, gave me a yap affirmation back, so'll go do
Milieu intérieur

Postby Milieu intérieur » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:20 pm

napped, pizza shortly, beer'n movie

coverup/rework (in progress) daughter did while back

Milieu intérieur

Postby *jj* » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:02 pm

That's looking a bit stirred up Helix ... what were you doing?! G'day to all and catch up when this thunder and lightning is done.
*jj*

Postby Helix » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:21 pm

*jj* wrote:That's looking a bit stirred up Helix ... what were you doing?! G'day to all and catch up when this thunder and lightning is done.

They're quite aggressive snakes. It was passing by, suddenly noticed me sitting at the computer and decided that I should go somewhere else. I ignored it (apart from taking the photo -- no flash, btw) and went on working. It stayed in that position for about twenty minutes. If it doesn't learn caution, it's going to disappear down the gullet of a small-eyed or red-bellied black snake very soon.
Helix

Postby Milieu intérieur » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:10 pm

Few light showers port lukin lastnight and this morn early, enough to settle the dust briefly.
Back home's less rain, shortly ago had a light shower, dust not settled at all, was windy all way home and continues.
Home sweet home and napped.
Canine Larry's on the sofa, one eye on the TV.
Ruminant Missy was out in the bean stubble when got home, then snuck down to the front gate while I was asleep, bleated to me later she wanted some oats, argy bargied me all the way to the gate while encouraged her out with a container of oats. She goes near across my path and stops, which in the sheep world isn't much likely to result in harm to another sheep, but for the taller bipedal human being able to extend that next leg out while mobile is critical to staying upright.
Milieu intérieur

Postby *jj* » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:54 am

That would un-nerve me Helix.
I have always been surprised at peoples' fear of snakes, but of course the ones I know are generally shy-ish unless provoked, even though venomous.

And I have all my digits, yes , but Hugo had to learn about putting a bandaid on ... just nipped the side of my hand down from my little finger ... a neat little snip!
It's VERY minor, but produced blood so the poor kid was mortified ... and I was a little taken aback as well. Valuable lesson for us both.

The great news is that we have had at least 60mm
of rain in this past few days ... we can hear the creek even this morning, although not "roaring" like it was last night.
*jj*

Postby *jj* » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:03 am

We must have got your rain, mi ... at least we didn't get too much wind (right here at home, at least).

Confession time ... I am loving Taylor Swift's music!

A couple of weeks ago H and I took a trip to see binjy and bro and he'd been given her latest CD so it was played for the whole trip ...
He's brought it with him again and I still like it ... H thinks that's funny ... apparently old people aren't supposed to like it!
I'll have to introduce him to "undiscriminating" some time. I'm equally ignorant about tattoos / tattooing, I know, but I do love your lass's work ... and so much time spent with g'kids also means with their dogs ... I'm turning into a dog-lover I think ... :/

H's cooking breakfast, so I had better look as if I am helping.
*jj*

Postby Milieu intérieur » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:48 pm

>We must have got your rain, mi

be do some serious waterin' startin' this evenin'
been puttin' it off, rain 'mounted to not much
keep ya vehicle window wound up, yeah hearin'
inner voice sayin' suck eggs, I a little envious
master Larry'n ol' headin' out stock rounds doin'
maybe 'nother leak to find'n fix 'ave us a look
pump troughs full first then back do meter read
check it flow, determine size'n in plumbin' if is
then check't obvious, then drive'n walk the line
look for indications, damp soil, or green grass
a dig here'n there check that moisture gradient
Milieu intérieur

Postby buffy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:25 pm

I have my fingers stuck firmly in my ears jj. You need to leave some of the rain to come over here to us. Stop being so greedy. The anti-windfarm people told us this would happen. They said the big fans would blow away the clouds...
buffy

Postby Milieu intérieur » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:42 pm

master larry fell out the ute window going across the paddock today, which wouldn't be maybe so much a concern but's on a retracting lead one loosely tied to the 4x4 stick, he stands on the seat half out the window with the other paw on the wing mirror, anyway my instinct was to turn left quick half a turn of the steering wheel and stand on the brakes so'd be a better chance he'd not get near, or if did he'd clear the back wheel. All turned out well, little fella jumped back in and rubbed the dirt from his eyes with his paws.
Milieu intérieur

Postby *jj* » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:29 pm

ouch, mi
... it only takes an unexpected bump for something like that to happen, doesn't it ... good to hear all's well.
Maybe it's only staying dry to help you find the leaks :P

And If it is any consolation at all, buffy, we do TRULY appreciate the rain ... today has been the prettiest possible day with brilliant blue skies and sunshiney enough to have everyone in t-shirts again, after lighting the fire early this am coz cold! (papers I wanted to burn, actually ).

Those Windfarm people absolutely defeat me.
I have been reading that people are beginning to claim not to believe the earth is round .
I'm not sure I can cope with much more wilful ignorance :(

In the meantime I am enjoying reading ... can recommend Margaret Atwoods "the Heart Goes Last" just finished ... a bit of a punishing read, but all's well that ends well. It's a bit much like the way our society is heading for comfort, but I tend to masochism with my reading choices.
*jj*

Postby nut » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:11 pm

Paddling at the lake tonight. Only had my phone. Was nice.

nut

Postby Helix » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:52 pm

Looks like a splendid evening, nut.
Helix

Postby Milieu intérieur » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:01 am

>Maybe it's only staying dry to help you find the leaks :P

60% chance rains monday lady sayin', good amounts possibly.

none leaks on that line, everything pumped came up zero flow under what meter can register, all good.

and's bedtime.
Milieu intérieur

Postby roughbarked » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:15 am

buffy wrote:I have my fingers stuck firmly in my ears jj. You need to leave some of the rain to come over here to us. Stop being so greedy. The anti-windfarm people told us this would happen. They said the big fans would blow away the clouds...

If that tale wasn't sad, it would be funny. :)
roughbarked

Postby buffy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:32 am

Rain! We have had around 15mm rain since around 4.30am. I woke up, and as I was lying there thinking I'd lie in and listen to the rain on the roof, I noticed I could hear a waterfall. So it was out, up the ladder, clear out the plugs of euc caps and stamens and some leaves so the water could go into the tanks. Mr buffy said it was the Penshurst wet t-shirt and ladder climbing event. But I figured my t-shirt and light shorts that I'd been sleeping in served well enough and went straight into the wash afterwards. And me into the shower to get the dirt off!

I think it's all passed over now. But it is truly beautiful and I think I can actually see the tomato plants growing. I'll be out there with more old stockings later when the leaves dry out a tad.
buffy

Postby buffy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:01 pm

20.5 beautiful mm.

buffy

Postby Helix » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:29 pm

buffy wrote:20.5 beautiful mm.

I'm envious.
Helix

Postby Milieu intérieur » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:30 pm

busy afternoon, got reaquainted with the jackhammer planted pepper trees, and another cedar

been out done the full water rounds, cleaned maybe 25+ troughs, checked bunch more, didn't get it done yesterday got sidetracked doing other things, checking fences etc.

listening John Lee Hooker with Ry Cooder doing some old school blues, old live recording just two guitars.
Milieu intérieur

Postby Milieu intérieur » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:25 am

little bye-byes note
passin' through here, finished up on Holiday Forum on 17th maybe it was
retirin' from forumin'
things to do, things to do elsewhere here't a courtesy departin' message
yes a rhyme's what
which maybe justify, if entry font same as after displayed'n probably not
Milieu intérieur

Postby *jj* » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:01 pm

ahh,
*waves goodbye* to Mi
(that's my version of a rhyme :))

Now I guess I'll head back to my online (lit) course again where we all pitch in, in all kinds of directions ... but I did like thinking about your thinking.

And
*waves hello* to everyone else
Am pleased to report that my wood gathering is going well; always a summer-long job and one I love.
Also that I took the plunge, after breaking the handle on my old axe, and bought a fiskar one that is exactly my size ... am wishing I'd done it before.

I'd been too ikey (don't know how to spell it) to spend up on such a simple tool as an axe, but the weight / balance etc is tops (for me).

Have been invited to have a look at a new Conservation Park ... this time I WILL talk to Parks People about their maps and up-to-date, verified access before venturing in very far!
Cheers
*jj*

Postby *jj* » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:03 am

coffee
and MORE rain ... it feels so good and appears to be heading SE, buffy.
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR641.loop.shtml
The creek is still running so will take the lad down to chuck a few rocks and collect some water.

It's been many years since I set up a freshwater aquarium of any kind.
Last week we made one using the water from the little lilly / frog pond just outside the door (no frogs for yonks though), but there isn't much happening apart from water snails (that I can see).

Some water boatmen or something would be nice if we can find some.

H and M had good first days of school; for M it was first day of High School already!

Wishing you all good days,
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:49 pm

*jj* wrote:coffee
and MORE rain ... it feels so good and appears to be heading SE, buffy.
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR641.loop.shtml
The creek is still running so will take the lad down to chuck a few rocks and collect some water.

It's been many years since I set up a freshwater aquarium of any kind.
Last week we made one using the water from the little lilly / frog pond just outside the door (no frogs for yonks though), but there isn't much happening apart from water snails (that I can see).

Some water boatmen or something would be nice if we can find some.

H and M had good first days of school; for M it was first day of High School already!

Wishing you all good days,

Why not try using some water carried from the creek?
roughbarked

Postby morrie » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:45 pm

I tend to use trip advisor for holiday advice. This looks like a nice spot to visit.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhot ... _Ohio.html
morrie

Postby roughbarked » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:12 pm

morrie wrote:I tend to use trip advisor for holiday advice. This looks like a nice spot to visit.

Good to see you out and about mate.
roughbarked

Postby justjj » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:33 am

morrie wrote:I tend to use trip advisor for holiday advice. This looks like a nice spot to visit.

Sure does :)

On the computer front, I took the plunge and updated my little DELL to Win10 and have been (mostly) pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to do .
Issues with the graphics card is one, I assume.
The screen image goes all unreadable every so often then resolves after a few minutes ) and the touch pad no longer works.
It will be like buffy's printer, I expect ... updating drivers (when I can face risking it; I'm a great one for putting up with things before biting bullets )

All are hoping for rain today; I'm a bit fed up with bucketing water.
Mary thinks it likely; she has a double Ag Studies session out in the field and reckons that makes it a certainty.
Hope you are all doing well.
justjj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby roughbarked » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:44 am

http://www.essentialenergy.com.au/content/stormtracker Looks like you are getting the rain, jj. Send some my way.
roughbarked

Postby justjj » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:14 pm

While I'm NOT watching some horror dinosaur movie (the soundtrack's bad enough) I found this and thought it might interest you guys(sorry mr morrison)

https://www.clueyvoter.com/
I'm a "fill in all the blanks" person, but a mistake one year saw me support a dreadful choice
Am planning to do better this time
Cheerio
justjj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Helix » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:16 pm

I told myself I was going to number every box below the line this year, but I'm having problems trying to decide which pack of bastards I hate most.

Here's a reminder from Mad As Hell on the changes in senate voting.

Helix

PreviousNext

Return to Science