-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Cant find printer

Te

Cant find printer

Postby Babs2 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:02 pm

We have moved and I now find my laptop won't connect to my Canon printer which is all part of my Homegroup. I am running Windows 8 on both the laptop and the desktop which has the printer connected to it via USB.

In our previous home the same computers and printer were all together in the same room but facing different ways to how they are now, (does this make any difference)?
Babs2

Re: Cant find printer

Postby Babs2 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:57 pm

The printer is not showing up on devices and printers list on the laptop and when I try to add it, it still can't find it?
Babs2

Postby Teleost » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:52 pm

Do you have printer sharing enabled on the desktop?

Actually, before we go there, can both computers see each other?
Teleost

Postby Babs2 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Thanks Teleost, yes in the Homegroup both can see each other and their contents.

I did go to the Canon site and install the specific driver, just in case that was the problem.

As far as I know nothing has changed since we moved, maybe we just haven't plugged something in. I should mention I can print from the desktop.

How do I check if printer sharing is enabled on the desktop, (if that is the next step)?
Babs2

Postby Alexmar11 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi Babs2,

To enable your remote desktop connection click the Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories, and then click Remote Desktop Connection. Click Options -> the Local Resources tab.
Under Local devices and resources, select the Printers check box. Click Connect to start the session. Hope it helps!
Expertise in consumer electronics and broadband service.
http://activ8me.net.au
Alexmar11

Postby Babs2 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks Alexmar11

Being on Windows 8.1 I couldn't follow your instructions, I did however get to add printer and the laptop sees the printer but when I try to add it an error message pops up just saying 'Windows couldn't connect to the printer, check the printer name and make sure the printer address is correct.

Is trying to add the printer the same as you are telling me to go through remote desktop connection?
Babs2

Postby Alexmar11 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:59 pm

If you are using this printer before then it's not a driver issue. Hope this step will help you..

Step 1. Go to Control Panel >>> Hardware >>> Devices and Printers then select Add a Printer.
Step 2. There will be a dialogue below says "The printer that I want isn’t listed" then click Next.
Step 3. Tick or choose "Add local printer / network printer with manual settings" on the option, usually it's located at the bottom of the choices.
Step 4. Tick the "Create a new port:" then choose local port on the drop down list.
Step 5. There will be a pop-up dialog asking you to enter a port name. You’ll get to specify the driver to use. Mine is like this "\\alexm\V505" v505 is my printer and my driver is alexm.
Step 6. Install the printer driver choose your printer model then click next.
Step 7. If it asks you to which version of the driver to use, tick the "Use the driver that is installed".
Expertise in consumer electronics and broadband service.
http://activ8me.net.au
Alexmar11

Postby Babs2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks Alex but I get stuck on........

Step 5. There will be a pop-up dialog asking you to enter a port name. You’ll get to specify the driver to use. Mine is like this "\\alexm\V505" v505 is my printer and my driver is alexm.

I just don't know what to enter as the port name. I don't know if it wants a path to my driver on the laptop or it wants to point to the printer set up on the main desktop where the printer is connected to. And how I find that out. Sorry I'm being so dumb.
Babs2

Postby Teleost » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:06 pm

If you go to the control panel on your desktop and select printers, your printer should be shown.

Right click and select properties.

You should be able to find an address for the printer (I'm locked out of our Win8 machine ATM so I can't be any more specific).
Teleost

Postby Babs2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Thanks everyone for trying to help, unfortunately it's still no go.

The printer is being seen by the laptop, it is on lpt1 port, it is set as default printer, it says it is working O.K. But still when I try to print from the laptop it says printer not responding.

Looks like I will have to start copying everything over every time I want to print from the laptop. Don't understand why it worked fine before our move but not now. Thanks anyway.
Babs2

Return to Tech