-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

NBN updates

Te

NBN updates

Postby *jj* » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:11 am

Good Morning Techsters.
I am still (yep!) following the NbN stuff closely .. and can't work out whether I am enjoying finding Nick was right on so much, or sorry ... sorry about the whole mess now, is probably closest.

Regardless, I found this an interesting current piece and though others might appreciate it too.

http://stevej-on-nbn.blogspot.com.au/20 ... ie-to.html
*jj*

Re: NBN updates

Postby Helix » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:59 pm

Nick got into a stoush with an NBNCo spokesperson on Twitter the other day. I think he won.

According to the NBNCo map, they are building a wireless hub just out of town, near my old place. The coverage is extremely patchy. In fact, it's so patchy that it covers an area smaller than that already served by ADSL.

At least in NSW, RB will finally get to watch YouTube videos.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby *jj* » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:28 am

Now that I've given up on an NBN altogether, I can enjoy some of the info / feedback.

The comments from o'seas media/journalists are hilarious (if sad) as they notice Oz's poor service.

Those of you with good service, enjoy it for those of us who don't
:)
*jj*

Postby justjj » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:06 am

Helix wrote:Nick got into a stoush with an NBNCo spokesperson on Twitter the other day. I think he won.

According to the NBNCo map, they are building a wireless hub just out of town, near my old place. The coverage is extremely patchy. In fact, it's so patchy that it covers an area smaller than that already served by ADSL.

Mark Pesce ‏@mpesce 14h14 hours ago

"Everyone who argued in favour of a robust, fibre-based NBN predicted this day of failure would come." http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/08 ... terly_4ked
justjj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Helix » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:47 am

They sure did.

I really like the wrap up par on that piece.

We’re growing used to the studied ignorance an obvious fact: Australia has already fallen dangerously behind. The longer Australia hesitates, in a stubborn refusal to see the plain truth, the further behind it falls. Eventually, Australia will disappear from the map of Nations That Matter, as the nation stares at a spinning animation, waiting for a future that never finishes loading.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:49 am

Take Australia back to party line days in everything that allows the common people to know what is going on outside their door.

Keep us in the dark and charge us more money for it.
roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:52 am

It must be a grim "I did my level best to explain all this" feeling, for Nick Ross.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/telstra- ... ivgk6.html
*jj*

Postby Helix » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:01 am

FTTN...what a joke.
Helix

Postby *jj* » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:05 am

Helix wrote:FTTN...what a joke.

Yep.
maybe if Nick had said something more like that instead of trying to be precise on the technical stuff more would have "got it".
I'll never forget the way Turnbull targeted him.
*jj*

Postby Helix » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:10 am

It's a reminder, too, that Turnbull doesn't have clean hands when it comes to targeting the ABC.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:33 pm

Helix wrote:It's a reminder, too, that Turnbull doesn't have clean hands when it comes to targeting the ABC.

Turnbull seems too sleazy for me.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:58 am

*jj* wrote:
Helix wrote:FTTN...what a joke.

Yep.
maybe if Nick had said something more like that instead of trying to be precise on the technical stuff more would have "got it".
I'll never forget the way Turnbull targeted him.

And with the $15B blowout and delays on FTTN, Nick has been shown to not only be right, but also generous in his assessment.
Helix

Postby nut » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:13 pm

Hey JJ, have you looked into the Nick Ross story in the last day or so?

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... _ross_ama/

https://www.google.com.au/#q=nick+ross&tbm=nws
nut

Postby *jj* » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:21 pm

Yes
*jj*

Postby fsm » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:03 pm

I had a FTTN VDSL Tier 1 connection setup here the other day. 12Mbps down / 1Mbps up.

There is about 120 mt of copper between here and the node. It is working ok so far...
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby Teleost » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:24 pm

Currently waiting for my new modem to be delivered...............................................................
Teleost

Postby justjj » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:36 am

I'm reading reports of people finding that there service has got worse since going NBN compared with the Broadband that they had before.
How can that be?
There seemed to be no discussion about reverting to the BB ... does that indicate it isn't possible?
justjj

Postby buffy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:58 am

I'm a bit concerned about that too. We are apparently due to go NBN capable very shortly. Mr buffy has had a chat with Telstra. But I'm concerned the wireless NBN might be worse than our current ADSL1 and that we won't be able to return. I think we should make them do a promise in writing...
buffy

Postby Helix » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:19 am

We're supposed to be getting a fixed wireless service in this area. I'm expecting it to be a pile of poo. ADSL here is not brilliant, but it's perfectly serviceable for most things.
Helix

Postby fsm » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:49 pm

justjj wrote:I'm reading reports of people finding that there service has got worse since going NBN compared with the Broadband that they had before.
How can that be?

The NBN consists of a variety of technologies and what you get depends on where you live. NBNco has a mandated requirement to deliver speeds of at least 25/5 Mbps to everyone across the NBN network. Fixed wireless and satellite seem to be the problem areas.

justjj wrote:There seemed to be no discussion about reverting to the BB ... does that indicate it isn't possible?

Over the next few years everyone will get the NBN and the old copper based systems will get shut down.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby roughbarked » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:48 am

fsm wrote:
justjj wrote:I'm reading reports of people finding that there service has got worse since going NBN compared with the Broadband that they had before.
How can that be?

The NBN consists of a variety of technologies and what you get depends on where you live. NBNco has a mandated requirement to deliver speeds of at least 25/5 Mbps to everyone across the NBN network. Fixed wireless and satellite seem to be the problem areas.

justjj wrote:There seemed to be no discussion about reverting to the BB ... does that indicate it isn't possible?

Over the next few years everyone will get the NBN and the old copper based systems will get shut down.

We have been ripped off. It was a sad day when Labor lost it and allowed the other mob to bugger up the rollout of the real NBN. Nothing else hodge podged can fix it now.
roughbarked

Postby justjj » Mon May 23, 2016 8:49 pm

Renai's lucky he doesn't work for the ABC, or Malcolm would be onto him

https://delimiter.com.au/2016/05/23/ipa ... us-errors/
justjj

Postby Helix » Mon May 23, 2016 10:57 pm

What amazes me is that the IPA is the Dunning-Kruger Effect in group form and yet the Coalition seems to take its output seriously. It's ludicrous.

Wasn't Delimiter named on the AFP warrant?
Helix

Postby justjj » Tue May 24, 2016 9:14 am

Helix wrote:What amazes me is that the IPA is the Dunning-Kruger Effect in group form and yet the Coalition seems to take its output seriously. It's ludicrous.

Wasn't Delimiter named on the AFP warrant?

No, not ludicrous if you consider they're working together for shared goals.
I think it falls under "whatever it takes"

And I'd think there would be a certain rough justice if he were caught up in this at this stage.
I see QLD has been getting even more rain ... I hope you are all warm and dry
Have you been affected by Telstra's outages?
justjj

Postby Helix » Tue May 24, 2016 9:59 am

It's ludicrous that the Coalition couldn't pick a bunch of people with more experience and gravitas. Hardly anyone at the IPA has relevant qualifications in the areas on which they comment. It's all tank and no think. I've just argued your point, haven't I? The IPA is an apron that the Coalition can wear to keep their suits clean of the muck that comes off the money-grubbers. (I should work on that metaphor a bit more. The IPA is a pair of gardening gloves?)

Still, I wish they'd made an effort and tried to hide their contempt for the rest of us.

Saturday was the big rain day -- 132 mm -- but it's been drizzling on and off since then. Lots of water in the river. So much that it's dislodged some of the debris that was washed in after last year's big rain event and there are tyres and rusty washing machines bobbing downstream. :(

We were hit by the Telstra outages, but it all seems to be working at the moment. I've given up contacting Telstra about their shitty service.
Helix

Postby buffy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:37 pm

Lost the "landline" again this afternoon. Mr buffy sat on the mobile to their complaints line for half and hour and gave up. Working again now. It seems to be something to do with the NBN router. Then again, as it seems to have happened in Melbourne too, maybe just too much wireless is too much. Perhaps copper was more reliable after all.
buffy

Postby Grasshopper » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:29 am

I have been able to get the FTTN NBN since LAST July -- but I have refused as so many in this area (and others) have had nothing but trouble and have been offline with the Landline AND the internet for up to 5 weeks at a time, quite a few times. We only have a small time frame to connect as the existing will be turned off.

It is a disgrace that we have gone backwards -- since "Mr Broadband" has been in charge
Grasshopper

Postby fsm » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:33 pm

I have been using FTTN NBN for quite a while and haven't had any problems. The connection is always good and solid. My ISP throw in national and local calls for free.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Return to Tech