-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Refresh PC

Te

Refresh PC

Postby Babs2 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Not having used my Windows 8.1 PC for nearly a month I switched it on and everything seemed normal and I opened up Windows Live Mail and checked on my emails etc.

Then I noticed lots of windows updates needing downloading and installing and proceeded to do so.
I realise now I should have probably done them bit by bit, but I just selected everything and left it for quite some time to download and install them.

When I tried to restart the machine it would not do so. Most of the time it will go into the Dell Logo and then the Windows logo sometimes it wants me to sign into my MS account, sometimes not. But whatever I do I just get a black half lit screen

After quite some time and fiddling around I managed to get to a troubleshoot section and selected Refresh. Now a few hours later I am still seeing the same black half lit screen. How do I know that the refresh is actually being performed, do you see any action on the screen while this procedure is happening? I guess I may have to leave it running for some hours but I'm wondering if anything is actually happening at all.

Some advice would be appreciated from anyone.
Babs2

Re: Refresh PC

Postby fsm » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:43 pm

If you have a broken update then you should be able to do a system restore to a time before the problem appeared. Turn off the computer and then turn it back on again. Hold down the F8 ( or Del) key until you see a boot menu. Select Safe Mode. When the computer has started in Safe mode you can search for System Restore and then follow the prompts.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby *jj* » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:57 pm

Might this be relevant, Babs2?

Ars Technica ‏@arstechnica

Bad Windows 7 update breaks future Windows 7 updates

http://ars.to/1A01FWC
*jj*

Postby Babs2 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:38 am

Thanks fsm and *jj*

I used F12 but could not see safe mode (I think win 8.1 needs a different procedure) but did select boot from Hard drive and that worked. Also on checking windows updates it showed that all had installed successfully, so don't know what caused the problem anyway. But luckily it was fixed and I was able to print off the remaining Christmas cards I needed.

But I noticed another problem, some rogueware so I will create a new post.
Babs2

Return to Tech