-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Doling out wifi passwords for home

Te

Doling out wifi passwords for home

Postby Stan 101 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:12 am

I'm currently staying with family and sibling is having issues with mid teengaers taking advantage of internet when chores are to be done etc. I have been asked to assist and they didn't like my idea of boot camp :) We thought that a rule of chore completed had an internet time limit associated. Complete 3 chores and get X amount of internet time per day.

Problem is I don't know of any software that allows timed wifi connections.

Hardware available:
Boblite router
D Link wireless router
Windows 7 Laptop that can act as a gateway or access point.

Anybody have an idea of how to go about creating temp wifi passwords that have a pre-defined access time? Or am I going about this all wrong wifi wise?
Ravaged by peptides
Stan 101

Re: Doling out wifi passwords for home

Postby fsm » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Have a look for management features in your router. You should be able to set rules to control internet access.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Teleost » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:25 pm

Go to the modem using a browser. ip address 10.1.1.1. the default password should be "admin".

Select "Advanced settings" on the top tabs.
Option 4 on the left hand side is Parental controls. It allows you to set access to individual machines at certain times.

It's not exactly what you want, but it's probably the best you'll be able to do.

Personally, chores not done, no access. End of story.

But my kids reckon I'm mean :)
Teleost

Postby sibeen » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:54 pm

What goes on here then?
sibeen

Postby Stan 101 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks, Teleost. I had a look there but needed a few more variables. The kids are smart enough to spoof mac address or change their own IP and the blanket option doesn't work because the adults want access anytime.

Might work if I have the kids connected wirelessly via Bob and then have the adults contect to the D Link router that is connected to Bob via ethernet.

Sounds like my sister needs you to sort out the teenagers over a weekend :)

Oh, and have a good xmas and new year!
Ravaged by peptides
Stan 101

Return to Tech