-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Backup

Te

Backup

Postby Babs2 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 am

On my Windows 8.1 desktop I have always used the System Image backup procedure, backing up to an external drive.

If at any time my computer fails and is not repairable would I be able to use that backup on a different machine, possibly different make? Of course still using the same OS.

The reason I ask is that lately my computer has had on occasions not booted up correctly, and I sometimes get messages saying there's an error or corruption drive C.

Which leads me to another question, which I will post separately.
Babs2

Re: Backup

Postby Babs2 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:57 am

More regarding this question. After checking out the system image facility a bit more, it seems although you can use it on another machine there could be problems, which is what I thought. So I have decided to keep the system image backup going but to now use the File History backup as well and place it into a folder on my Homegroup laptop.

Two questions, can you continue to use either machine while a file history backup is in process and if so would it slow down whatever you were doing on either machine at that time?
Babs2

Re: Backup

Postby Babs2 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:09 am

Well I've actually done this now, it seems to run in the background. Once you have done the full backup, (apparently every so often, whatever time you choose), anything that has been changed gets backed up again, so it's not like a complete backup every time. I'll see how it goes.
Babs2

Return to Tech