-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Faster download speed

Te

Faster download speed

Postby Babs2 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:35 pm

I have bought an electronic download of a large programme in 6 files. I have a very slow internet connection.

My connection is set up like this. I have a separate modem and router which are connected together and then connected to my desktop.

I want to download the programme to my laptop. When I started to do so it was so slow. I wondered would it make any difference to the speed of this download by having the ethernet cable coming from the modem router connected directly into the laptop instead of the desktop. Would it make any difference to the download speed?

As you can gather I know nothing about these connection thingies. Thanks.
Babs2

Re: Faster download speed

Postby Teleost » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:48 pm

If you have already downloaded the parts to the desktop, use a USB stick or external hard drive to transfer them to the other computer.

If you're downloading direct to the laptop, it will probably be a little quicker to plug it into the router directly but probably not quick enough for you to really notice the difference.
Teleost

Postby fsm » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:53 pm

Download speeds depend on many factors. Mainly server load (the computer you are getting your download from), network congestion (the computers and routers between you and the server) and your download speed. You don't have any control over the first two and the third is dependant on your ISP.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Babs2 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks everyone, I won't bother then.
Babs2

Postby fsm » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:31 pm

If your download speeds are generally lower than expected then you may have a hardware issue. A faulty filter, cable or network adapter can slow things down. You could log into the modem and check for firmware updates. Or take everything off that phone line and just plug in a standard telephone and listen for noise on the line. If you think the line is faulty get Telstra to check it. Is someone else using your download bandwidth? There could be many reasons that your downloads are slow.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Tech