-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

OS reinstall no recovery partition

Te

OS reinstall no recovery partition

Postby moonmaid » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:08 pm

Hello Teleost, if you (or anyone else) has the time to read and help with this boring stuff it would really be appreciated.

Finally back after a couple of weeks in the too hard basket.
Toshiba L500 laptop, 32 bit. 320GB Hard Drive, 2GB DDR RAM
About 6 weeks ago Re-installed Windows 7 (Ultimate this time), originally was Home Premium.

As suggested by Teleost a few weeks ago, I have fixed flickering when using Browsers (installed update of graphic driver from Toshiba website) it told me to remove any installation media from the drives after installation (can't find anything when I google on that).
I don't know if I also have to remove any old graphic driver, think I saw a 'Vista' pop up at one stage when occasionally had pop ups saying graphics driver stopped working.

Fixed strange goings on with keyboard. Had the choice when re-installing of US International or US. Chose US International, who'd have thought it was just US ... not me :) but what do I know?

NEXT THING
I didn't do a partition of HD when re-installed. Haven't got a recovery partition. I can't recall having a recovery on it previously.

Can I set up a recovery on the laptop or not? And if so is it OK to do on an external Hard Drive instead of making a partition?

Originally when the computer was a mess I'd planned to go back to a restore point but I'd mucked around for 6 months before trying and the restore points were gone. I had backed up to an External Hard Drive but didn't do it properly and didn't work, hence the total re-install (that I never want to do again).

just read this on wikipedia about Windows 7: All editions will receive Mainstream Support (new features and bug fixes) until January 2015 and Extended Support (security updates) until January 2020 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

It might be worth buying a new laptop with Windows 8.1 soon, or will there be a Windows 9 worth hanging out for?

Time for a cuppa, this has taken me most of the day, lol.
thanks
MM
moonmaid

Re: OS reinstall no recovery partition

Postby Teleost » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:36 pm

The old driver installation files will be whereever you downloaded them to. Look in your downloads folder. It's no big deal if you don't delete them, they won't take up a lot of space.

If the machine is running nicely and is up to date - Win 7 has a lot of updates to download on a clean install these days, I'd take a system image to an external drive and then follow up with regular backups (weekly/fortnightly,monthly depending on how much recent work you're prepared to risk).

This page gives you easy to follow instructions:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

As for upgrading, personally I detest Windows 8. That's just me though and the only time I use it is when I have to clean up Mrs T's laptop so I'm not familiar enough with it to make a real judgement. I'd wait for Windows 9 (or 10 as many people are suggesting it will be called). Windows 7 extended support is not due to end until 2020 (As long as you have service pack 1, you'll still be kept up to date). So If you're happy with Windows 7, there's really no need to upgrade until you need to buy a new computer.
Teleost

Postby moonmaid » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:31 pm

Thanks Teleost,

I didn't download any other drivers so the graphics driver that caused the browsers flicker was what ever came in the Windows 7 install.

I think I have all update downloads for Windows 7 Service Pack 1, and stumbled across Miccrosoft Office 2007 Service Pack 3 to install. Also installed all the other little bits of programs ... eg for printer, Google Earth, Adobe Reader.

I've always wanted a system image! I hope I can do it, will try now that I am happy with the state of the computer.

Yes, I've read that Windows 8 will go the way of Vista and heard that a lot of people don't like it, but then some people do like it.
I think that it is best to get the next OS after there has been drastic changes. The next will have them ironed out, and hopefully more intuitive. I wonder if they test the new Operating Systems on basic users before release.

We have Windows 8.1 on Marine Rescue computer and a new SeaHawk tracking system, some of the oldies (older than me!) still have trouble. I'm one of the few who knows a little, which is barely anything, God help us, haha. Win 8 is so foreign to a lot of them/us compared to Win 7.

Oh good, I can't afford another computer unless I maxed the credit card. Bug Fixes end now but still get Security updates for another 5 years, was thinking Bug fixes might be a good thing but it doesn't matter with my "Mirror Image" and updates :) and definitely not before Windows 10.

cheers!
moonmaid

Postby moonmaid » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:41 am

Morning, nice drizzle of rain here this morning. It's lovely to get a break from the heat.

I'll do the Mirror Image in a few days when I have uninterrupted time. What external hard drive do you recommend as the one
I was going to use has terrible reviews (as below).

In the meantime ... I have 2 older External Hard Drives that may be of no use.

I have a more recent Samsung G3 Station Ext HD that I will use and have used once before for Win 7 but not sure how it worked
or if I did something wrong. Oh dear it has terrible reviews! http://www.productreview.com.au/p/samsu ... ation.html

Also have these two: Both are "Laser" brand

one is 3.5" USB V2.0, is for SATA but supports up to Vista only.

the other I bought cheap at an op-shop a fair while ago before I knew about SATA PATA
supports ATA PIO ect not sure what ATA is but not SATA like newer Hard Drives in computers (hope I have that correct).
It only supports up to XP.

My son said that he may be able to use one/both just for data storage? (he has Win 7 as well).

Thanks. I want to clear out useless old junk.
moonmaid

Postby Teleost » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:46 pm

Don't pay a lot of attention to internet user reviews. Like the old saying goes, if it's good, you'll tell your friends, if it's bad you'll tell everybody. I've noticed this a lot, there are likely to be 1000's of people who are happy with their product and just don't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops. That said, I've not had a good run with Samsung HDDs (or appliances for that matter) and tend to buy Seagate drives as a matter of personal preference.

Laser is a cheap Chinese brand, but if you open up the cases you're likely to find a drive from a well known manufacturer inside. There's not a huge number of hard drive makers. I've had some pretty good products from Laser (for the price).

They should all work fine with Windows 7. If you're likely to want to store large files, sometimes it pays to reformat them to NTFS, but honestly, most are usually fine as is. The support thing gives you an indication of age though. If it says XP, that means it's likely to be pretty old. The reason it doesn't list later OSs is that they weren't released at the time the drive was made. HDDs are mechanical devices so if they're regularly used, they eventually wear out. Sometimes they can seize up or have a coniption if they're fired up after sitting around feeling unloved for a very long time. It's not common, but it does happen.

If you're going to use it for backing up important data, I'd buy a reasonable sized drive from a quality manufacturer. The last one I bought was 3TB Seagate for less than $150 three years ago. You should be able to pick up a 1TB quite cheaply.

Given that you have three drives, plug them in, test them and make multiple backups which is always the best policy.
Teleost

Postby moonmaid » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:12 am

Goodo,

I'll give the Mirror Image a go in a few days.

:)
moonmaid

Return to Tech