-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Mac password

Te

Mac password

Postby misty2011 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:06 pm

Good morning techies,
I have a problem that I hope you can solve.
I don't use my password on this computer, but now I need it to download an update from flashplayer.
How can I change my password (put a new one in) since I can't remember the original one.
I have tried re-installing the disc, but that didn't work
please help if you can
thanks
misty
misty2011

Re: Mac password

Postby roughbarked » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:03 am

This is the administrator password I presume?
It is done in System Preferences (settings ) under Security & Privacy. However you will need to know your old password in order to change it to a new one.

To change user password, which can also be the admin password if you are the only user.
Again in System Preferences go to Users & Groups. Again there is an option to change password and again, you will need to know the original password in order to do so.

Play with these preferences windows for a while but spend most of the time meditating on the windows. Perhaps you will get deja vu and remember.

Short of that you are going to have to erase everything and start again.
roughbarked

Postby Teleost » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:46 am

It can be done. The procedure can vary according to the version of OSX you have.

This thread is worth a look.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5028206?tstart=0
Teleost

Postby misty2011 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi again.,
thanks, but I have forgotten my password... have tried & tried to remember it, tried different combinations of what I thought it was etc etc. but no luck :(

Firstly I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8 (snow leopard I believe)
I did try re-installing with original disc, only to find that it took it back to 10.6 so a lot of my stuff (programs) didn't work, (so I had to update again to 10.6.8) & when re-installing the disc it didn't give me the option to do the password thingy as they said it would.
I have looked into a few different forums, but suggestions vary considerably ... some completely wiped peoples data.!!!!!
So am a bit nervous about trying them.
Was hoping to find a fail proof method from someone on this forum (it trust this one) who has done it themselves., .....or hopefully illago is still around :)

CD, i did look at that link you posted, but not sure which formula i should be following.

misty
misty2011

Postby misty2011 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Oops... sorry Teleost, just realised I called you CD by mistake :(
misty2011

Postby Teleost » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:43 pm

Happens all the time ;)

The last couple of Macs I've had I got second hand. I used the inbuilt recovery to reset them. All of the standard software survived the process and I reinstalled whatever else I wanted as well as setting a new admin password.

It's a bit different when you want to keep data and updates though.
Teleost

Postby roughbarked » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:10 pm

Apple ID can be used to reset your user account password.

Well I daresay this will only work if you took the time to set up an apple ID on their cloud at the inital set up. I didn't because it can be done later or not done if you so wish. In the latter instances I doubt an Apple ID would have been created.
roughbarked

Postby misty2011 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:01 am

Hello..... It's me again,
Still haven't sorted my admin password.... have just been using my laptop.
However, I would really like to be able to use my desktop as well, but still need to update flashplayer which requires my to enter my 'admin password'

Has anyone got any new ideas on how I can reset it?
Thanks in advance
misty2011

Postby roughbarked » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:28 am

Have you got it all backed up? You should be able to make backups without requiring admin pass. The information in the link that Teleost provided is all good. There is another link within the comments on that page which should work for you. Flash player doesn't really need upgrading as long as you only use it on trusted sites. It can be left turned off until you actually do want to use it. It will still work as long as you realise that it is only the latest update that has the security fixes.
roughbarked

Return to Tech