-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

PDFs for dummies

Te

PDFs for dummies

Postby booshkie » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi Techies,

I have been tasked with getting 800 or so foolscap pages online! Yikes!

I was thinking of scanning to PDFs but wondering what makes a PDF searchable?

cheers
booshkie
booshkie

Re: PDFs for dummies

Postby Helix » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:39 pm

There's an Adobe plug-in called Paper Capture (44pp, PDF) that makes scanned pages searchable. I haven't tried it, so I can't comment on its ease of use.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby Teleost » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:33 pm

You need OCR (Optical Character Recognition). The Adobe product in Helix's link has this.

IME, OCR can be a little hit and miss. You will need to proof read the result thoroughly to ensure text is captured properly. Having clear text on a clean page will help a lot. If it's from a book, often the edge of the page next to the spine can cause issues for OCR.

Good luck!
Teleost

Postby roughbarked » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:13 pm

Teleost wrote:You need OCR (Optical Character Recognition). The Adobe product in Helix's link has this.

IME, OCR can be a little hit and miss. You will need to proof read the result thoroughly to ensure text is captured properly. Having clear text on a clean page will help a lot. If it's from a book, often the edge of the page next to the spine can cause issues for OCR.

Good luck!

OCR may have come a long way since I last used it but otherwise it can be a laborious process best avoided if possible.
roughbarked

Return to Tech