-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Can't Boot Up

Te

Can't Boot Up

Postby Babs2 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:47 pm

Dell desktop running win 8.1.

Yesterday MBAM Premium popped up saying I had two Threats. Usually I quarantine them but that wasn't an option so they were removed. Now I find I can't boot up.

Trying to remember back I have a horrible suspicion the so called "threats" were something like Dell detect.
I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. On one reboot however everything did come back so I did a sfc scan and the log said some files had been corrupted and couldn't be repaired.

On trying to reboot later, back to the same non boot up problem.

When I try to roll back to a restore point and look at how many files will be affected I am not game to continue.

I do have a System Image Backup on and external drive. But when I go through that procedure I can't select the drive it is connected to. It just doesn't find it.

I can only try getting it to boot up by using F12 and F2 but most of that I don't understand.

Is there anything else basic that I can try? Or how do I get to that external drive location. If I wasn't grey already I would be now.
Babs2

Re: Can't Boot Up

Postby fsm » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:43 pm

If you can boot into Safe Mode then you should be able to access your external dive.

How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 or 8.1 (The Easy Way)
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Babs2 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:39 am

Thanks fsm. I can't get into safe mode and have checked out all the ways to try and do so.

Last night I switched everything off and then this morning what happens is after 30 'mins or so the desktop finally comes up but neither the mouse or keyboard are active, whereas yesterday they were.

Because the desktop and all its icons do come up does this mean that the hard drive is still O.K. and that files are either corrupt or missing?

Because the keyboard is now out I can't even get back into f12 or f2.

I discovered I had made a Dell repair disc and also put some kind of boot up on a usb stick but now can't use either of those as I can't get into the boot up procedure because of the lack of the keyboard. And of course I have the system image on the external drive. So all of these fix em things and I'm still stuck. Lucky I have a backup laptop.
Babs2

Postby Babs2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:33 pm

Anyone running a Dell machine should read the articles linked below.

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/

PC is in the shop at the moment awaiting the verdict.

Rather put me off Dell machines now, what are the options on the best make of all in one computers?
Babs2

Return to Tech