-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Windows 10

Te

Windows 10

Postby Babs2 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi all, I haven't been able to log in for some time ??? but today managed to finally do so.

Has anyone received the Win 10 Upgrade download? I reserved a copy.

I appear to have received it and it is showing in the Windows Folder as $Windows.~BT. I am not receiving any error messages and Microsoft did not inform me it had downloaded it to my PC.

However every day it tries to install but fails. Does anyone have any advice about this?
Babs2

Re: Windows 10

Postby *jj* » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:19 pm

I "reserved" a copy but won't be proceeding until a few security things are sorted,
:)
(on the advice of people who know my skill levels)
Good Luck with yours
Signed,
Chicken
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:13 am

This is very handy as you know how annoying Windows updater can be + in Win 10 UI they don't give you the option.

This is how to disable Windows Update in Windows 10:

1. Right click Start and select Run. Then type 'services.msc'
2. Scroll down in services and find the Windows Update service.
3. Right Click then open 'Properties'
4. Set 'Start Up' type to 'disabled'
5. Click “Stop” the Service button.
6. Click Apply or OK button.

DONE! If you try to use windows update it will give you an error.
roughbarked

Postby Babs2 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:22 am

I seem to remember reading that if you didn't accept the automatic updates for win 8 you couldn't have Defender either run in real time or being able to schedule the auto scanning, I don't remember which it was but that's why I changed back to having Windows auto updates.

Are you now running Win 10 roughbarked?
Babs2

Postby roughbarked » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:25 am

No. I don't have Windows. I'm looking at updating the computer being used by my other half though. The problem being that WIN 8 is defenceless.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:02 pm

Apparently there's a specific tool for disablng updates here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/ ... indows-10/

(Scroll down after the info that RB C&P)
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby Helix » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:49 pm

And, as jj alluded to upthread, there are more than a few privacy issues with Windows 10.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby Teleost » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:58 pm

It downloaded and installed very nicely on Mrs T's machine.

I like it a lot more than Win 8.

I haven't booted into Windows on my machine for so long now that I'm considering removing it all together as it's tying up a full 40Gb of hard drive space. I'm afraid I've been fully converted to the dark side.
Teleost

Postby buffy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:48 am

This looks like a good place for this question.

On this machine of Mr buffy's he has Windows 10. Yesterday I could not get in as it would not accept the password. Apparently it took an update and reverted to another original password from the original download - or something. Anyway, I have two questions:

How do you change the password on Win10?

Can we turn off having to put in a password when you turn the machine on? I don't have a password on my machine (not running Win10), and it's a nuisance to have to do it. It's not really necessary in our circumstances.

Thanks guys.
buffy

Postby fsm » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:00 am

To change a password press Ctrl - Alt - Delete keys simultaneously and then select 'Change a password'.

To log on to the machine without a password:

Open the Run command box by simultaneously pressing Windows logo and R keys (Windows+R). In the Run dialog box, type netplwiz and then press Enter key. (The Windows logo key is marked with 4 squares and is usually located to the left of the spacebar)

Select your user account and then uncheck the option labelled 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer'. Click Apply.

In the next window, enter the details and press Enter to confirm.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby buffy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:11 am

Thank you fsm. You are a darling. I'll pass the info on.

:)
buffy

Postby Teleost » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:55 pm

The other thing that happens with Win10 is the Microsoft online account thingy (it's the Windows version of an apple id) resets your password when you set it up. You may have set a password on the machine, but if you've just joined the Microsift online account, try that password.
Teleost

Postby *jj* » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:21 pm

I finally downloaded it, but when it started asking to disable applications I chickened out/
:(
*jj*

Return to Tech