Scam ANZ emails

Te

Scam ANZ emails

Postby sci_fi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:28 pm

Beware
anz.com@anz.co.au

Emails

Account Suspended

these are doing the rounds and nearly had me fooled.

Once you click on the links you are in trouble.

Worth sharing?
sf
sci_fi

Re: Scam ANZ emails

Postby Teleost » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:10 pm

Banks do not email you directly. Every one that I'm aware of uses a secure mail through their web interfaces.

Never click on any email link that purports to have come from a financial institution. This includes Paypal.
Teleost

Postby roughbarked » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:06 am

Teleost wrote:Banks do not email you directly. Every one that I'm aware of uses a secure mail through their web interfaces.

Never click on any email link that purports to have come from a financial institution. This includes Paypal.

Hear hear. I printed out one that purported to be from my bank(St George at the time), deleted the email and took it to show the bank manager. He said, "you are one of those who didn't get sucked in". I asked how many did, he replied, "heaps". Though indeed, Westpac does email me with news rather than requests for details.
ie:
For your information only

Scammers will try anything to get your personal or financial information. They then use that information to steal your money or perform other fraudulent activities.

Lately we have seen an increase in the number of reported phone scams. These include calls from fraudsters claiming to be from your bank, phone company, computer provider or other well-known organisations. The fraudsters often request you give them remote access to your computer, which they can then use to access your online banking.

Remember, Westpac will never request remote access to your computer or your SMS Code over the phone.

If you're unsure, do not provide any information or grant them remote access to your computer!

To confirm the legitimacy of the call, ask for a reference number and call back on a trusted number (ie. use phone book).
roughbarked

Postby sci_fi » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:53 pm

Good advice.

I did get a call recently from an indian accented lady who said that she could fix "the problem" in my computer.
After playing the game for 15 or so minutes, she slowly realised that I was playing dumb.
I got called a "bloody barstard" in impecable Indian accent.

The email was anz.au@anz.co.au

One can easily see why (without your glasses on) one can get sucked in.
sci_fi

Postby roughbarked » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:30 am

sci_fi wrote:Good advice.

I did get a call recently from an indian accented lady who said that she could fix "the problem" in my computer.
After playing the game for 15 or so minutes, she slowly realised that I was playing dumb.
I got called a "bloody barstard" in impecable Indian accent.

The email was anz.au@anz.co.au

One can easily see why (without your glasses on) one can get sucked in.

It is far better to inform them that they are criminals engaging in criminal activity and that this phone is monitored by the AFP.
roughbarked

Return to Tech