-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Best Antivirus ?

Te

Best Antivirus ?

Postby Grasshopper » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:15 am

I have the Free Avast on my W7 laptop and was thinking of getting the paid one ? is it worth it and also is it the best one to buy?

Thanks
Grasshopper

Re: Best Antivirus ?

Postby Helix » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:07 pm

My 2c (which is probably worth about half that): I had big problems with one version of the free Avast. It caused three computers (two laptops and a tablet, all running Windows) to freeze. Until then, it had been problem-free. Rather than risk that again, I uninstalled it and replaced it with Microsoft Security Essentials. No issues so far.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby Teleost » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:13 pm

Microsoft Security Essentials is fine http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows/security-essentials-download

I'd also upgrade to Windows 10 unless you have a good reason not to.
Teleost

Postby Mad Man Moon » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:34 pm

Helix wrote: I had big problems with one version of the free Avast. It caused three computers (two laptops and a tablet, all running Windows) to freeze. Until then, it had been problem-free. Rather than risk that again, I uninstalled it and replaced it...

I had the same thing about a month ago with Avast (slowed computer down so badly it looked like it had frozen) and did likewise. I replaced it with Avira free.

http://www.avira.com/

I don't think you need to fork out for the paid version.
‘I would teach the children music, physics and philosophy, but the most important is music; for in the patterns of the arts are the keys to all learning.’ -- Plato
Mad Man Moon

Postby *jj* » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:58 am

Good Morning and Good New Year Everyone;
my 2c worth.
I paid up for Avira and am sick to death of all the popups / warnings that I need this or that upgrade.
Wish I'd stayed with the freebie ... and I recall ilago, too, recommending the Windows dooverlacky as sufficient for most users' needs.
Thanks to all for your input on all kinds of tech stuff; I always read it.

It took me 9 hours to download windows 10 yesterday on my "fast" ie Telstra connection; god knows how long the satellite would have taken ... but the first thing it asked me to do was to delete the trackpad app, which frightened me enough to abort it.
:(
Cheers and Stay Safe this Summer!
*jj*

Postby Dinetta » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:19 pm

NOD32 by ESET,they have an australian office (kinda,at least an address that genuinely australian). Cheaper by the 2 -3 year licence. Have been using it for 14 years now.
Dinetta

Return to Tech