-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Status monitor on printer

Te

Status monitor on printer

Postby buffy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:10 pm

Hello again. I've recently had some problems with my printer - FujiXerox CP105b - in that it decided to refuse to print. I used it, went to see a couple of patients and then it refused. The trouble shoot thingie said it wanted a USB2.0 instead of a USB3.0 port, but considering it's been using the same port for a couple of years, this seemed an odd thing. Anyway, I tried removing the device, but it just kept popping back when I turned the printer back on. And still it would not print. My young receptionist uninstalled it, but partway through the reinstall it decided it didn't want to go any further. I told her I would get a friend in who knows what he is doing. But just out of interest I turned the printer off....and lo and behold, there it was again in the devices. It had lost it's default status, but I reset that and now it will print for me.

But...

I have no status monitor going and I can't find where it is to turn it back on. We lost some of it some time ago and I'd never bothered to find it, but now I've even lost the quick flip it gave when it started printing. And if I don't have the right size paper in the printer it is not telling me....it used to. I've looked at the instructions stuff on the disc that came with it, and apparently I need to go in via the fujuxerox programme from the start button. But the programme is not showing there now, since we (tried) to uninstall it. Any ideas where the programme might be hiding? I think I have to turn on something called SimpleMonitor....which would be good if we could find it either on my harddisk or on the setup disk.

:)
buffy

Re: Status monitor on printer

Postby fsm » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:00 pm

Try downloading and installing the latest driver for that printer...

http://www.fujixeroxprinters.com.au/en/Downloads.aspx?product=9932
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby buffy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:44 pm

Thanks fsm. That was on my list of things to try. It's rather puzzling. I think I took a Microsoft download sometime last week (I still have some dialup, kept going as an emergency, so I just set it going to do updates when I think of it) I'm rarely online at work, and there is nothing important on that computer, so it isn't really completely up to date most of the time.
buffy

Postby buffy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:55 am

Um....how do I actually update the drivers on the computer now I've downloaded them? I've flipped around the printer in devices and can't see how you do that update.

I know. I just expect the things to work for me. They are not supposed to play sillybuggers.
buffy

Postby fsm » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:51 pm

buffy wrote:Um....how do I actually update the drivers on the computer now I've downloaded them? I've flipped around the printer in devices and can't see how you do that update.

I know. I just expect the things to work for me. They are not supposed to play sillybuggers.

If you double click the driver file it should run you through the install process.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby buffy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:12 pm

Ah, double click. I was single clicking. I think. I'll give it a go when I get to the practice tomorrow. I also have a geeky friend calling in tomorrow, so if all else fails, I'll cajole him into having a look.

Thanks again.
buffy

Postby buffy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:52 pm

I had to get the geeky friend. He had the same trouble I had with it not wanting to load etc. I left him to faff about for a bit and he reports that even though I had the original disk and had downloaded the drivers he had to "drill down" and what was required was not very helpfully labelled. Whatever that means. Anyway, I have a working printer again, with the status monitor working again too.

Thanks fsm for you suggestions. At least I had everything ready for him to work with.
buffy

Postby buffy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:09 pm

And now it is complaining about the cyan cartridge. That's one I didn't have a backup for, so I took the part used one from the other (identical) printer.....and the bloody thing won't accept the cartridge. So that is it. I'm going to purchase myself the simplest mono laser printer I can find. I don't need these fancy schmancy colour things. I only print letters and envelopes. We picked this one up on special, probably about 3 or 4 years ago (I can't find the record quickly). This time we get what I wanted in the first place.
buffy

Postby buffy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:09 pm

And it continues....it was a fun morning. “I want a basic mono laser printer to print letters and envelopes” “Yes, madam, this one will do that for you” Neither of us looked at the box…..only supports A4 paper. And we didn’t find this out until I’d brought it back here, plugged it in, installed it, run a couple of sample pages and tried for an envelope.

So I took it back. The next one up the scale only supports A4 also, even though it’s got a scanner too. So I don’t have a replacement printer after all. And it was such a lovely small, light thing too.
buffy

Postby fsm » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:55 pm

Many laser printers have a slot/door on the back that allows you to feed envelopes and such-like through on a straight paper path (the envelopes don't have to try going around the rollers).
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby buffy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:27 pm

Nah, we checked the box....says it doesn't support anything other than A4. Seems ridiculous to me. It's not like it would be difficult to build that in. But there you are.
buffy

Postby Teleost » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:44 pm

In my experience, it's vastly easier to set up sticker templates than it is to get a printer to work well with envelopes. Even out super duper all singing, all dancing print, collate, staple anything office printer buggers things up when it comes to envelopes.
Teleost

Postby buffy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:50 pm

We haven't really had trouble with envelopes before. Anyway, I've calmed down a bit now. I'll reinstate the one I banished, wait for the toner cartridge to arrive and see if it will work. I really lost it when I put the toner cartridge from another identical printer in and it wouldn't accept it. I know it was partly used. But it's the same printer make and model and it should have used the partly used cartridge. I have a new one ordered....if the thing doesn't work with a new cartridge, I'll resume the search.
buffy

Return to Tech