-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

SeaGate external drive

Te

SeaGate external drive

Postby Dinetta » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:29 pm

I have inherited a SeaGate FreeAgent Desk external drive.

My laptop (Windows 7 professional, service pack 1) can't see it.

The drive turns on OK, it is connected by USB to the laptop, but the laptop doesn't get all egg-sited and tell me Ooh! you have a new device connected.

It's a brown thing, with what I guess is the power adaptor attached to the bottom (as a stand), orange light and orange SeaGate logo...

Have looked at the Australian SeaGate site and it is hopeless...have typed in the serial number and the product number, to no avail...
Dinetta

Re: SeaGate external drive

Postby fsm » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Try it with another computer to make sure that it actually works.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Teleost » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Does it have an external power supply and is it plugged in?
Teleost

Postby Dinetta » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:04 pm

Yes Teleost, External power supply and is plugged in. This makes an orange stripe down the front, light up...

It's a mystery, nobody knows nuffing about it so I was hoping to check it out.
Dinetta

Postby roughbarked » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:20 am

Dinetta wrote:Yes Teleost, External power supply and is plugged in. This makes an orange stripe down the front, light up...

It's a mystery, nobody knows nuffing about it so I was hoping to check it out.

Try changing the usb cable.
roughbarked

Postby Dinetta » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Power surge on hub port.

Also:

A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub drive. You should disconnect the device.

I'm inclined to think that there's USB cables and there's USB cables...
Dinetta

Postby roughbarked » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:32 pm

Dinetta wrote:Power surge on hub port.

Also:

A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub drive. You should disconnect the device.

The ones where both ends fit, should be good.
roughbarked

Postby Dinetta » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:22 am

Both ends fit.
Dinetta

Postby roughbarked » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:41 pm

Dinetta wrote:Both ends fit.

This indicates that there should be no discrepancies. Either this or that cable with the correct fitings will either work or not, depending upon the health of the cable. Trying more than one is advisable.

Purchasing a new one may or may not fix the problem, if the cable is actually that problem or not.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:45 pm

Dinetta wrote:Power surge on hub port.

Also:

If a power surge at the port, this likley indicates that there is something wrong at the port or somewhere between, which part, is the cable.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:48 pm

Dinetta wrote:I have inherited a SeaGate FreeAgent Desk external drive.

My laptop (Windows 7 professional, service pack 1) can't see it.

The drive turns on OK, it is connected by USB to the laptop, but the laptop doesn't get all egg-sited and tell me Ooh! you have a new device connected.

It's a brown thing, with what I guess is the power adaptor attached to the bottom (as a stand), orange light and orange SeaGate logo...

Have looked at the Australian SeaGate site and it is hopeless...have typed in the serial number and the product number, to no avail...

this post is confusing. Do you see the icon on the desktop or not?
roughbarked

Postby Dinetta » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:54 am

No, no icon showing up at all. The computer is not "seeing" it. I think you could have something with the USB cord. For example, with the camera, I have two similar USBs, but one has a cylindrical adapter built into it, and this is the one that works with the camera: the other will not. The "other" USB came with something else.

Seagate are not at all helpful on their website. "Nobody knows" what this external drive has on it. Will ask Sonny Jim in the morning, well later this morning, if he recognises it...
Dinetta

Postby Dinetta » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:38 pm

Have found another USB cable with the correct fitting ends, and this cable has one of those cylindrical things along the cable. The HDD is now 100km away so I have to wait to introduce the (hopefully) happy couple...
Dinetta

Postby fsm » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:33 pm

Dinetta wrote:Have found another USB cable with the correct fitting ends, and this cable has one of those cylindrical things along the cable. The HDD is now 100km away so I have to wait to introduce the (hopefully) happy couple...

The "cylindrical thing" is just a ferrite bead that suppresses noise in the cable. I doubt this will have any affect on the problem that you are having with the HDD.

Ferrite bead (Wikipedia)
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Dinetta » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:16 pm

OK...thanks fsm...we'll figure it out eventually...
Dinetta

Return to Tech