-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

NBN and fixed lines

Te

NBN and fixed lines

Postby buffy » Sun May 08, 2016 12:56 pm

I am feeling misled, and I'd like someone to tell me if I am being unreasonable. Last week we moved to NBN, with a bundle which included fixed line and all sorts of other things. We were given a new fixed line phone number and Mr buffy went to get the old number reinstated as we have had it for yonks. When this was done, the fixed line phone was disconnected and it seems now we only have VOIP through the NBN. This now means that when the power goes down, we no longer have a fixed line phone (as I understand it). And in this situation there is a high probability all phones/NBN will also be down. This is not what we understood to be what we were buying. I want a fixed line phone in place for emergencies. Am I being unreasonable?

I am thinking I'll go to Telstra tomorrow and get the cheapest available copper phone number to keep in reserve. I am prepared to pay for it, because I think it is important, but I'm mightily pissed off that we were misled.
buffy

Re: NBN and fixed lines

Postby Helix » Sun May 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable response, Buffy.

The NBN (fixed wireless) is now allegedly available here, but I haven't switched over for that reason. The Telstra techie told me that I could get the NBN and keep the copper line service. Apparently the copper lines are being maintained for a few years in NBN areas, but I've never really trusted information from Telstra.

There's no mobile phone signal here and power goes down all the time because of the trees. I'm sticking to my slow ADSL and landline until a) I move or b) they improve the mobile service.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby nut » Sun May 08, 2016 1:55 pm

Take a look here: Your NBN phone: Fibre phone vs VOIP

I am guessing you options are below.

Phone with battery backup;
Perhaps get copper back on;
UPS;
Generator with change over switch;
Mobile phone if coverage allows.

Phone with battery apparently gives four hours. Copper infrustructure wont be there for ever. UPSs can be expensive and don't last for ever. Mobile phones don't always have great coverage and am guessing you don't have good coverage and generators are a big bit of infrustructure.
nut

Postby nut » Sun May 08, 2016 2:07 pm

buffy wrote:I am feeling misled, and I'd like someone to tell me if I am being unreasonable...

I don't think you are being unreasonable. It is quite common for someone to promote the new and shiny but forget to mention the limitations. There is however a change in technology and services, and sometime we need to adjust to gain some other benefit. It makes it difficult to make informed decisions when we are not informed.
nut

Postby buffy » Sun May 08, 2016 2:55 pm

Thanks, people. We do have a generator, and the house is wired to switch to generator. But I don't think that is what made me angry. We were misled. VOIP is not landline. I doubt this copper exchange will be turned off for years yet, and I'm prepared to pay for the landline to be put back in action. I think I'll go to Telstra tomorrow, complain, tell them we were misled and see what they say. And then get a separate landline reinstated if I can.
buffy

Postby fsm » Sun May 08, 2016 4:33 pm

Eventually all copper systems will be switched off, so you will need to move your phone and internet services to the NBN. The nature of fibre technology means that if you require the telephone to be available during an emergency then you need to provide an alternate power supply for your end of the system. Usually this would be a backup battery arrangement.

I doubt they would reconnect your copper phone line.

These days, most telephone calls get routed across the same networks that carry the internet. This process is transparent to the user.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby buffy » Sun May 08, 2016 5:39 pm

>>This process is transparent to the user.<<

I don't understand this?
buffy

Postby buffy » Sun May 08, 2016 5:45 pm

I do understand it is going to change. But I am not happy with worse than I had before. Remember....we in the Western District of Victoria have seen the future. Warrnambool phone exchange burnt down and we had no eftpos, no mobiles, no phones, no internet for two weeks. In Casterton it was for three weeks. City people should think themselves lucky it didn't happen to them...in the country the shops extended credit etc. I suspect anarchy would have been the result in areas where people do not all know each other.

A good hit on either power or a very large exchange, and the veneer of civilisation may prove very thin.

I like at least some redundancies in a system.
buffy

Postby Helix » Sun May 08, 2016 6:05 pm

To be fair, power went out in Auckland for five weeks and it didn't lead to human sacrifice, cats and dogs living together and mass hysteria.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby fsm » Sun May 08, 2016 6:31 pm

buffy wrote:>>This process is transparent to the user.<<

I don't understand this?

Your old copper telephone line only goes as far as the local exchange. Then your voice is digitised and sent over a digital network just like VOIP. If the PSTN networks are congested or having problems then Telstra may opt to route your call over the internet or another network.

My NBN plan gives me free, unlimited, untimed local and national telephone calls.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby buffy » Sun May 08, 2016 8:17 pm

It was transparent to the user that I questioned. It's not really transparent unless you actually know that. And if that is the case, how come things weren't just rerouted around Warrnambool at the time? Hamilton calls should just have been switched to a different part of the network. But a very large part of the Western half of the state was made uncommunicado.
buffy

Postby fsm » Sun May 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Your local exchange supplied the power to the old phone system. If the exchange blacks out or burns down then you would have no phone anyway.

With the NBN the backup battery/generator is under your control.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby buffy » Sun May 08, 2016 8:57 pm

The exchange that burnt down was 70km away not our local one. 100km from Hamilton. 160km from Casterton. What I am saying is that there was apparently no redundancy in the system to reroute about a third of the state. I find that rather astounding.
buffy

Postby buffy » Sun May 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Here you go. There was no natural disaster, just one phone exchange fire.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-04/r ... se/5500098

It would be nice to think backups might now be in place.
buffy

Postby buffy » Sun May 08, 2016 9:17 pm

Actually, here is the RMIT report. It's very interesting. And the conclusion? You need redundancies that you can activate if/when you need them...

http://telsoc.org/ajtde/2014-12-v2-n4/a72
buffy

Postby buffy » Mon May 09, 2016 6:17 pm

Update: I went to Telstra this morning and have reinstated the copper, in addition to our NBN. So now we have two phones. This will cost me $25/month, which I am prepared to pay, even if I rarely use it. It also means the fax machine is useable again. Mr buffy's first aid and CPR accreditation is with Swinburne and there is a bit of faxing goes on there.
buffy

Postby justjj » Tue May 10, 2016 10:00 pm

What a business buffy
:(

I've been reading of others in the same boat and I'd not have realised all the ins and outs of it.
justjj

Return to Tech