-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

TECH Chat

Te

Re: TECH Chat

Postby Gazza » Wed May 28, 2014 2:48 pm

G'day All,

...like "Rod", I, too, have been 'lost for some time' but have once again returned to the fold...

...unlike Rod, I have been forced to do so by circumstance (not that I don't like being here but I have found other places that take up more of my time...

...I recently had to replace an aging Logitech M444 Bluetooth Mouse with a more current model, choosing (like I had ANY choice) the M557 to replace it. The replacement went without a hitch (relatively speaking) and the new mouse worked perfectly, except for the issue of the assignment of the "Middle Button", which, by default, was set to "open the Windows Start Menu" in my (up to date) XP SP3 installation. This was in conflict with the M444, for which I had the button set to emulate the scroll Wheel Button, specifically for use in a program that required this setting. The new mouse's settings were also incompatible with this program's settings, so, having removed the original Logitech Set Point program that I used to set up the old mouse, I decided to download and and install the latest version of Set Point (6.61, as it turns out). This went without a hitch (again, relatively speaking) but once the program was up and running, I had no control over the configuration of the mouse (I was, certainly, able to configure the settings of the program but there was NO option to alter the settings for the mouse). Checking the Logitech web site for possible causes of this, it turns out that the installation of the Set Point program failed to detect the mouse and did not 'add' the configuration option to the install. A number of different options are provided to overcome this, none of which immediately solved the problem, so I was forced to take the last, which recommended the renaming of the Windows System File (located in the Windows\System32\Drivers\ folder) called "wdf01000.sys" to "wdf01000.bak" and reinstalling Set Point, then making sure that a file of the original name was extant in the folder, restart the machine. As it turned out, reinstalling Set Point did NOT replace the "missing" file, so I returned the renamed file extension to it's proper 'state' (which was in accordance with the published instructions) and retarted the machine. Dare I say, ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE...

...Windows simply refused to restart! No matter what attempts I took to cajole it into "playing ball" (any and ALL of the options available in the F8 Boot 'facility'), it kept 'hanging' after 'opening' the BTHidMgr.sys file. Fair enough, I thought, I'll fix this with a re-install of the OS. (twice, even), with precisely the same outcome. The installation goes, seemingly, perfectly until the final restart when the 'black' screen with the 'small' "Windows XP label" and the "...please wait..." text appears and it goes no further (I even left this screen 'sitting' overnight - 7 or more hours). If I then do 'a reset' restart, the OS proceeds to the "...Loading your personal settings..." stage, at which point I get a pop up window advising that "this version of windows needs to be activated" and after clicking the [Yes] button, Windows opens the Desktop (applying the image I have been using for at least 10 years) but it goes NO further...

...any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

...incidentally, if you think there is somewhere else this post should be, fsm, please feel free to move it...

Gazza {:)}
Gazza

Postby Teleost » Wed May 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Hmmmm....

That sounds bad. Please tell me that your data is on a separate partition/backed up.

Try activating over the phone. MS may have issues with your previously activated OS.

As you've already tried reinstalling the OS, a repair install is no longer an option. So you should try restoring your last system image (should have been done before attempting a reinstall). Which for most people is the one they made when they set up the computer for the first time - or even more common, none at all :(. If you don't have a system image, then I'd be going for a clean install. As in formatting the partition and installing from the beginning like it was a new machine.

I'd stongly recommend that you take this opportunuty to upgrade your OS. XP has reached the end of it's life. While it still works, it's no longer being supported by MS. If your hardware is getting on a bit, Linux is a lot less scary and difficult than it used to be, but you should be able to run Win 7. Unless your machine is really old, in which case you should be considering a new one anyway.

As to the mouse, just curious, is there a reason you didn't try to reset the default actions via the control panel?
Teleost

Postby Gazza » Wed May 28, 2014 10:56 pm

G'day Teleost,

...thanks for the prompt reply. Firstly, I should apologise, it seems that my memory failed me at the point of writing and I stated that I had previously been using the M444 mouse, when, in fact I had been using the M555b model mouse (not that that makes a great deal of difference) and it is worth noting that both "mice" are identical in appearance, the only difference being that the M555b's built in features were targeted for Windows versions prior to Windows 8 and the new M557's specifically for that OS...

...as to your suggestions, I was somewhat remiss when I mentioned that I I had re-installed the OS, misleading you, perhaps but with sufficient knowledge in this area, my re-installation attempts (both of them) were, actually "repairs" (not re-installs as you have surmised - I should have made that clear), so, as far as I am aware, none of my vital OS data (the registry, etcetera) has been 'disturbed' (as I mentioned, the monitor is displaying the same Wallpaper I have been using for some 10 years, so I am sure all is well in that regard, although I didn't say that the Wallpaper was all that I see - there are no desktop icons, no task bar, yet the mouse cursor, which IS visible, responds to the mouse movement - via the Bluetooth connection,no less). The OS gets to this stage of the loading process and seems to just stop dead in its tracks. Had I been able to get the system up and running after the initial calamity, I would most certainly have performed the suggested 'restore' but since that first fateful restart, the OS has failed to complete a 'load' (including after both attempts to 'repair' it) and I would still do that 'restore', even now, IF I could get the OS to load up. Your other option, a clean install is my last resort as the OS shares it's "partition" with about 100 Gig of other data that I would much rather NOT lose and this same 'issue' is preventing me from upgrading, unless you know of a way that I can transfer the registry from XP to another, later version of Windows, thus negating the need to re-install ALL the programs on my system...

...irrespective of whether Microsoft might be having issues with my existing activation, without a complete 'load' of the OS, calling up Microsoft's phone activation facility would be totally pointless - I have nothing upon which to apply the information I may get from any such phone call...

Gazza {:)}
Gazza

Postby Octarine » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:08 am

Good Morning All,

I'm trying to get in touch with Scaevola - does anyone have his current contact details?

cheers
Octarine

Postby oPi » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:52 pm

Some of the links here need updating: http://www.techtalkwiki.net/accessing_the_forums
oPi

Postby nut » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:25 pm

Tired of short battery life on my tablet I have bought an e-ink kobo to read books on. Will have to see how it goes. I am going to read Diet Cults by Matt Fitzgerald.

Need to work out how to connect to Calibre too.
nut

Postby brownbear1947 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:34 am

E Ink devices certainly use less power. I have a kindle and if I keep the WiFi/3G turned off it will last a month without recharge and that is reading for about an hour each day.

I also use calibre but when I convert I save the file on my PC and then move it to the Kindle later using a USB link. I keep a copy of all my Kindle data files on my PC. My reasoning is that if the Kindle becomes unusable for some reason then I have no problem restoring to a new reader.

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your reader as I do with mine.
brownbear1947

Postby nut » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:35 pm

brownbear1947 wrote:E Ink devices certainly use less power. I have a kindle and if I keep the WiFi/3G turned off it will last a month without recharge and that is reading for about an hour each day.

I also use calibre but when I convert I save the file on my PC and then move it to the Kindle later using a USB link. I keep a copy of all my Kindle data files on my PC. My reasoning is that if the Kindle becomes unusable for some reason then I have no problem restoring to a new reader.

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your reader as I do with mine.

I started reading books on my HTC desire a few years back. Probably read six to ten books before I got a tablet and started reading them on that. Originally I never liked the look of the e-ink devices, they had small screens and seemed clunky; less than responsive. I also never liked the grey background that seemed, again to me, to dominated the readers. So I have always used my tablet. Android tablet with Coolreader for my books.

The biggest problem has always been battery life and so the last few months I have been looking to perhaps get an e-ink device. Ended up looking at the Kobo Aura HD and the Kindle Paperwhite and because the Aura HD seems the best and certainly has the biggest screen that is the way I went. The main criticism of the Aura is the price but as a hopefully longer term investment I was okay with that.

I've been using the Aura HD for about four hours now with the light on mostly and it is still on 100% battery, nice! *even does little happy dance* It is black on grey background but I think I will get used to it. The light helps a lot and is excellent with my initial use. I do find that the contrast is not great but also I noticed that it increases if I tilt the screen slightly.

Getting my books to my old tablet I used the content server through Calibre and Calibre Companion on the tablet but it might be easier to just use the USB option with my Aura.

Interestingly the book I am currently reading, Diet Cults, was 20% more expensive through the Kobo Store than it was through Amazon.
nut

Postby *jj* » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:24 pm

Like brownbear, I am delighted with my (now old) Kindle and its battery life.
A friend (binjy :) ) gave me a tiny solar charging device and I use that for my small devices (computer/ phone/ kindle) when traveling if I do need to recharge it, without risking ALF's batteries.

I've given a heap of my real books to the local Book Shed (local govt 2nd hand book shop is fundraiser for needy causes) and replaced them on my kindle, so am down-sizing fairly effectively without losing things that matter to me.

I especially like the kindle because I can read it in bright sunlight ... I didn't realise the significance of that at the time of purchase, but would not get anything that couldn't be easily read in that situation now that I do know.

Another not-quite fantastic feature on this smallest of the kIndles is that although I can enlarge the text, to make it easily readable, the lines of text are then harder to scan quickly/conssecutively for flow of info / ideas.

I am a fairly quick reader and it slows me down considerably and I find that requires more concentration than you'd expect.

My only reservation with the Kindle, now, is finding out about Amazon's commercial practises.

Their very low prices would seem to be at the cost of their employees.

If I were starting again I'd avoid them, but am feeling locked in to them now.

Mind you, the more I hear about more and more corporations, it could well be the same for all purchases.

What else ... oh yes, Calibre is simple enough to be managed by me; that's all you need to know ... though I had a good teacher to introduce me to it. (saywot :))
My new tech "issue" is that my music thingy has died. (I plugged it into an elcheapo double adapter ... it hasn't worked since it audibly *fizzed*)

It was a Creative ZEN and many years old (and backed up thank goodness), but now I don't know what to replace it with; other than that I do not want to use Apple anything again (have an iPhone, courtesy of kids, and hate iTunes). I used to use it all the time ... in my jeans pocket while weeding, even!

I'm a bit of a loyalist and was hoping to find anouther similar, but find all the Creative (brand name) options confusing ... so many!

If others have any suggestions I'd be delighted to have some guidance.
Gorgeous Spring here ... hope it is where you are too.
*jj*

Postby ilago » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:02 am

nut wrote:Tired of short battery life on my tablet I have bought an e-ink kobo to read books on. Will have to see how it goes. I am going to read Diet Cults by Matt Fitzgerald.

Need to work out how to connect to Calibre too.

My Kindles have a long battery life with any comms disabled. Both the 3G and Wifi connections chew power. I still get 4 or 5 days use if I forget to disable them. In comparison, my iPad is aging and the battery life is nowhere near as good. I have an old Kindle 2, a Kindle Touch and a Sony PRS T1 touch screen reader. I'm not sure why I bothered with the Sony - it seemed like a good idea at the time. I prefer the older Kindle 2 which isn't a touchscreen. I think because I read so much on it when it was new and got used to the "feel". The touchscreens seem very slow in response and I find that I rarely use either of them. I usually end up buying Kindle books because they are cheaper than most of the competition. Free ebooks are generally available as .mobi format or convert easily. The Kindle format is based on the .mobi format and Amazon own both formats.

Worth checking MobileRead Forums for any questions about ereaders, ebooks and Calibre. There is a Calibre sub forum with a lot of information buried in the threads. There are also many snippets of information about ebooks and ereaders of most makes and models on the site and in the forum.

They have a significant library of books that are out of copyright for download. You should read the warnings on some of them. I think you have to register to find everything on the site.

Diet Cults seems interesting. I was just thinking about that very thing today :) Cult is probably a better word than fad.
ilago

Postby nut » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:49 pm

Thanks Ilago :)

I have found the reader really good so far. Starting to get used to it. It has far exceeded my expectations. Very simple to operate and responsive to touch. No buttons.... well there is a light button and power button on the top. I like the cover as it comes on and goes off as you open or close it.

Thanks for the link.

The book is good. The more I read the more I like it. I don't like the individual examples he writes about but as I have read more of the book it as been less important.

The premise of the book is that humans have and do survive, even thrive, on a wide variety of diet and that choosing specific restrictive diets are false doctrine; cults.

Interestingly he highlights that people that tend to keep weight off after 12 months tend to:

weigh themselves consistently;
    tend to have a monotonous diet (a less variety); and
    excersize.

Motovation is also a key requirement. There is no specific dietary commonality among this group of people.

Its been interesting and am a bit over half way through.
nut

Postby nut » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:37 pm

Mother in-law has a Sony and I didn't like it at all. Probably the reason I waited another 12 months before taking the plunge.
nut

Postby brownbear1947 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:11 am

*ilago* wrote:Worth checking MobileRead Forums for any questions about ereaders, ebooks and Calibre. There is a Calibre sub forum with a lot of information buried in the threads. There are also many snippets of information about ebooks and ereaders of most makes and models on the site and in the forum.

They have a significant library of books that are out of copyright for download. You should read the warnings on some of them. I think you have to register to find everything on the site.

Thanks for the link ilago I would also suggest that https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/ is worth checking out as Australia's copyright laws are pretty liberal and books can be free of copyright here before other locations.
brownbear1947

Postby Helix » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:51 am

brownbear1947 wrote:Thanks for the link ilago I would also suggest that https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/ is worth checking out as Australia's copyright laws are pretty liberal and books can be free of copyright here before other locations.

I wouldn't term them liberal. Australia follows the US, UK and others in copyright laws, so the period of protection has been extended from life of author + 50yrs to life of author + 70 years.

ETA: Although now I look, there's a difference in the way the Aus and UK laws are applied, which probably affects availablity. (Haven't checked US.) The maths does my head in, so I'm not going to crunch the numbers.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby *jj* » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:37 am

tweet of today

Joe Gravett ‏@joegravett

"Homophobes boycotting Apple because of Tim Cook's brave announcement are going to lose it when they hear about Turing."
*jj*

Postby Helix » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:37 am

Not science --> NaNoWriMo started yesterday. Anyone here taking part?
Helix

Postby *jj* » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:36 pm

Not me, Helx.
Reading is as close as I'd get.

You've done it a couple of times I think?
Sounds terrifying, frankly.
*jj*

Postby Helix » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:40 pm

*jj* wrote:Not me, Helx.
Reading is as close as I'd get.

You've done it a couple of times I think?
Sounds terrifying, frankly.

I have. Not sure if I'm going to do it this year. It's too hot to sit in front of the computer!
Helix

Postby *jj* » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:55 am

I wonder if this will be addressed in the #TPP.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/money/2014/11 ... eaply-usa/

I can hear Gerry Harvey now ... but am glad to see people bypassing this protection for people like him.
*jj*

Postby *jj* » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:18 pm

a very quick query; I am almost certain you can add tags to posts on this setup but can't find how.
Am I remembering the old forums?

I've spent ages trying to find them but just can't figure it out.
*jj*

Postby ilago » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:42 pm

I don't think phpBB forums have that function. fsm might correct me on that. VBulletin as used on abcforums did have that function.
ilago

Postby *jj* » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:14 am

ilago wrote:I don't think phpBB forums have that function. fsm might correct me on that. VBulletin as used on abcforums did have that function.

That's it.
I forgot that was where I knew it from.
What a memory eh?

Thanks ilago.
*jj*

Postby fsm » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:21 am

*jj* wrote:a very quick query; I am almost certain you can add tags to posts on this setup but can't find how.
Am I remembering the old forums?

Tagging is not part of Phpbb by default. There are a few modifications that can be installed to enable this functionality if you think it is necessary.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby *jj* » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:50 am

fsm wrote: Tagging is not part of Phpbb by default. There are a few modifications that can be installed to enable this functionality if you think it is necessary.

That's good of you fsm, but I don't think it is necessary really.

I happened to have an article (the one about remnants of intact ecosystems) which had its own list of tags and I thought I'd include them ... that prompted my query.

So far as I can tell the search function will do for what I NEED, as distinct from what I wonder aloud about .

Have I mentioned how much I like this dark background option, even more than solid black( which I'd thought I most liked).

I also like the prompt provided by the email when there's an answer ... I'm guilty of checking as I go past the fffs tab far too often; it obviates* that.

Have a good day :)

*hopes that's the word .. I'm not looking it up right now.
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:13 pm

It was made obvious, yes. :)
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:42 pm

Mind you, if you had tagged that thread with those keywords, anyone who clicked on it might have been disappointed if they read beyond the OP.
Helix

Postby nut » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:40 pm

And hello Ilago :)

Though I see you online often it is a lways great to read you. Hope you had a great Xmas and New Year and wish you and your family well :)
nut

Postby *jj* » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:24 pm

Helix wrote:Mind you, if you had tagged that thread with those keywords, anyone who clicked on it might have been disappointed if they read beyond the OP.

chuckling here.
I thought the same.

will have a read again later and see what needs to be kept!
And greetings to you too nut.
Weather is messing with the satellite connection here, so will do some stuff that doesn't care about it (like watching the Yellow Tailed Black cockies :))
*jj*

Postby ilago » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Hi nut. Good to see you posting as well :)
ilago

Postby roughbarked » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:47 pm

ilago wrote:Hi nut. Good to see you posting as well :)

good to see you too. :)
roughbarked

Brandis still struggling with metadata

Postby Helix » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:09 pm

The Government is using the Charlie Hebdo murders to push for greater metadata retention. Quelle surprise. Brandis is still having problems understanding the nature of metadata and also its (lack of) usefulness in preventing terrorist acts.

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/c ... 2miwj.html
Helix

Postby *jj* » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:17 pm

oops, duplicate deleted (I hope)
Last edited by *jj* on Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*jj*

Postby *jj* » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:18 pm

I have a bunch of cords / connectors for charging various devices and many of them are duplicates.

Eg the TOMTOM and the Kindle both have the same joining shape for the power cord "plugging in bit" and so does the "creative brand" wireless speaker.

Given I carry all 3 gadgets in ALF, I'd like to be able to use just one cord for all three of them?
Is there any reason why I ought not multi-task with them?
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:41 pm

*jj* wrote:I have a bunch of cords / connectors for charging various devices and many of them are duplicates.

Eg the TOMTOM and the Kindle both have the same joining shape for the power cord "plugging in bit" and so does the "creative brand" wireless speaker.

Given I carry all 3 gadgets in ALF, I'd like to be able to use just one cord for all three of them?
Is there any reason why I ought not multi-task with them?

Maybe that you needed two at the same time occasionally? There was a bloke in the Optus shop yesterday who wanted a new charger under warranty and though he had one for his iPad that was the same, he wanted to replace the one for the phone while he was on holidays because he might need to be charging both at the same time.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:42 pm

Any excuse to push the agenda wheelbarrow.
roughbarked

Postby justjj » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:39 am

Now I'm embarrassed ... not only did I not explain my question well, I didn't explain it at all. At least it can eventually disappear in the chat thread.

Each of the cords includes (of course) the plug that goes into the power point. Not only do all three connecting cords look a bit different (one has acylindrical built-in" thing on it, for example), but the unit that they plug into (via USB in 2 cases) are different looking as well.

I don't know if each of those "power delivery systems" will deliver the identical (and therefore safe) amount of power through those separate kinds of cords and whether (if I switch them between devices) they would do any damage to the devices themselves.

Now, is it worth the risk to try using just one powering combo or could it zap something?
Is there any way I can tell, before demolishing something in finding out?
justjj

Postby roughbarked » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:27 pm

justjj wrote:Now I'm embarrassed ... not only did I not explain my question well, I didn't explain it at all. At least it can eventually disappear in the chat thread.

Each of the cords includes (of course) the plug that goes into the power point. Not only do all three connecting cords look a bit different (one has acylindrical built-in" thing on it, for example), but the unit that they plug into (via USB in 2 cases) are different looking as well.

I don't know if each of those "power delivery systems" will deliver the identical (and therefore safe) amount of power through those separate kinds of cords and whether (if I switch them between devices) they would do any damage to the devices themselves.

Now, is it worth the risk to try using just one powering combo or could it zap something?
Is there any way I can tell, before demolishing something in finding out?

Well, not really safe to second guess micro electronics. Though USB cables with the cylindrical add-on aren't always absolutely necessary. I still wouldn't chance expensive equipment with the wrong cables. Why question the manufacturer?
roughbarked

Postby fsm » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:17 pm

USB chargers are all 5 volt and as long as they have the correct plug to fit the device they can be used interchangeably. Many manufacturers try to tell you that you must only use their brand of USB charger and some of them deliberately use odd shaped connectors so that other brands wont fit.

If they are not USB chargers then you must check that the voltage and amps (and polarity) are suitable for the device you wish to run. These numbers are usually shown in fine print on the charger.

The round lump that you sometimes find along the wire of these chargers is called a ferrite bead and is used to supress high frequency noise on the power supply.
Last edited by fsm on Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby Helix » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:23 pm

Thanks, fsm. And thanks to jj for asking the question -- I didn't realise I wanted to know the answer before!

It's handy to know they're interchangeable, because I'm bound to lose one of them sooner or later.
Helix

Postby fsm » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm

The good thing about USB devices is that you can charge off a computer, a wall charger, a car charger, a solar charger and even a charger with a crank handle.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby justjj » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:52 pm

That is the BEST NEWS!
Thanks

I'm happy to keep 2 of each, but I have a drawer of all sorts because I believed the labels and it felt ridiculous not to ask.

*goes off grinning*
gotta love techtalk, wherever you find it.
justjj

Postby *jj* » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:53 pm

fsm wrote:The good thing about USB devices is that you can charge off a computer, a wall charger, a car charger, a solar charger and even a charger with a crank handle.

I thought you might enjoy knowing that two kids have just had a BIG cleanout of cords they'd kept (like me) believing the guff from the manufacturers.

We've all had a good laugh at our gullibility.
*jj*

Postby *jj* » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:58 am

A friend passed this on this morning and I thought others might find it interesting too.

I choose to be "tracked" via a purchased (tiny) epirb type unit by my family (who'd thought I might be old enough by now to wear one of those "alert" things).

Now that I am over not liking it, I am glad of the reduction in "RUOK" messages from them if they don't hear from me daily.

Must say though that I am astonished at the comprehensiveness of google's tracker, which is NOT tracking ME (I checked) .

http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articl ... 183553.htm
*jj*

Postby Helix » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:56 pm

Good to see Nick still doing his stuff!
Helix

Postby *jj* » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:49 pm

Sure is.

This one is quite possibly more useful.

Good Luck to anyone who thinks they're not going to be tracked; especially those in the cash economy or in receipt of any govt benfits (including tax refunds).

http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articl ... 599864.htm
*jj*

Postby *jj* » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Cartoonists say it better though
:)

http://www.kudelka.com.au/wordpress/wp- ... 150220.jpg

Too hot to think, here in the city; aircon busted and two little kids exhausted and I'm not far behind.
*jj*

Postby Helix » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

As appealing as the black economy is, doing everything with cash and not paying tax can bite you on the bum in a worse way than a great white shark.
Helix

Postby Teleost » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:28 pm

*jj* wrote:A friend passed this on this morning and I thought others might find it interesting too.

I choose to be "tracked" via a purchased (tiny) epirb type unit by my family (who'd thought I might be old enough by now to wear one of those "alert" things).

Now that I am over not liking it, I am glad of the reduction in "RUOK" messages from them if they don't hear from me daily.

Must say though that I am astonished at the comprehensiveness of google's tracker, which is NOT tracking ME (I checked) .

http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articl ... 183553.htm

Do you mean something like a SPOT unit? http://www.findmespot.com/en/

The management gave me one in Tassie. As a WH&S device, it was great as we could check in when we were out of mobile coverage. We'd always turn it off before we went to the pub though :)
Teleost

Postby *jj* » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:38 am

Yes. The very one.
friends recommended it from their experience with it.
Her bro is a contract feral goat hunter, gone for days+ at a time so it's vital for them
A convenience for me.
:)
*jj*

Postby *jj* » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:35 am

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/02/ho ... erability/

" What's this about?
Turns out Lenovo preloaded their laptops with adware that will intercept all your secure connections, and allow criminals to do it, too.
The same vulnerable system is used by other software too, like some Parental Controls.
This is a test to check if you are affected.

Thanks to Karl Koscher, Paul Pearce, Marc Rogers and all the others that discovered and divulged this. "

https://filippo.io/Badfish/
*jj*

PreviousNext

Return to Tech