-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

TECH Chat

Te

TECH Chat

Postby justjj » Mon May 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Greetings Techsters.
I have watched this video three times and love it; partly this is because of the light it shines (for me) on Australia's mainstream media, but also and maybe particularly for the challenges of meshing of tech and communicating across what we call journalism ... it goes way beyond so-called "writing skills" and into editorial skills ... ANd how these many skills might (best?) be learned and when ... all brought together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... jQW42BuZ2I

Breeding the Unicorn | Journalism Interactive Conference 2013 | journalisminteract

If anything I wish they had recorded the remaining questions so the panel could answer more, later.
Perhaps they did and I haven't found it yet.
Anyhow, I hope others appreciate it too.

EDIT: Here are a couple of the links that are referred to in the talk.
http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/2013/02 ... beral-art/

http://overview.ap.org/
justjj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: TECH Chat

Postby Rod » Mon May 13, 2013 2:21 pm

I think I have worked out that new users are moderated. So, Hi from the past.

I was the Rod that posted on the ABC forums (sometimes intelligently) for many years. I wandered, and then I got lost, but now I have found you guys again.

Is that a good thing? Maybe.

Anyway I still do the same stuff (computingathome.com.au), and I do a strange mixture of computer repair, training and MYOB work. Even some programming.
Recreation wise I have co-started a trail running club in Margaret River. This is funny, because:
I can hardly run
I never even heard of trail running before I started the club. I thought I invented the sport, but its actually quite big.

I might not be able to run,but I can build a website, so I built this for the club.
http://www.mrtrailrunners.org.au/
Rod

Postby ilago » Mon May 13, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi Rod :)

It's nice to "hear" from you and know that you didn't just disappear :)
ilago

Postby justjj » Mon May 13, 2013 7:36 pm

ilago wrote:Hi Rod :)

and from me too :)
justjj

Postby fsm » Mon May 13, 2013 8:39 pm

G'day Rod! It's good to read you again.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby roughbarked » Fri May 17, 2013 7:18 pm

ilago wrote:Hi Rod :)

Ditto.
roughbarked

Postby Rod » Sat May 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Well thanks.

Nice to see such a minimalist design; I would expect nothing else from the fish slapper. I almost want to put on my sandals and tie dyed shirt to post is such a environmentally friendly forum; one that does not waste a byte.
Rod

Postby justjj » Sat May 18, 2013 5:36 pm

HI Rod.
It's neat seeing the old (ahem, you know what I mean) tech talk tag teaming again too.
I REALLY like this kind of setup now.
When the first replacement for the old ones went up I was as flummoxed as anyone, but now I just think aha! A variation!
:)
justjj

Postby fsm » Sat May 18, 2013 9:05 pm

This place is a work in progress. There are still some bugs to be chased out of the curtains and new features to be programmed. So don't panic if things go awry sometimes...
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby misty2011 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:04 am

Good morning techies,
beautiful day here.
Very happy to see a 'TECH Chat' thread.
Last time I posted the chat bit seemed to come under 'science'

So is this the general 'Chat' thread for tech ....or is it to Chat about tech things ? IYKWIM
.. easily confused I am....lol

Hi to all the old faces/names I remember... I see Grasshopper has just found us... welcome back GH
misty2011

Postby justjj » Tue May 21, 2013 4:12 pm

misty2011 wrote:Good morning techies...

So is this the general 'Chat' thread for tech ....or is it to Chat about tech things ? IYKWIM...

Hiya Misty2011,
Each of the separate "forums" now has a CHAT thread of its own, but it isn't a big deal really.
This community is quite small and I suspect that most read most posts.

However, IF you know that your query is specifically a tech one, then this would be a better option than the others, in my opinion.

An dyes, HI to Grasshopper again.
justjj

Postby fsm » Thu May 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Testing 'Earlier posts' & 'Later posts' links in the VBT panel.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby fsm » Wed May 29, 2013 1:48 pm

You may notice that some of the usual PHPBB 'features' are not showing here anymore. This is not a fault, rather a modification to help streamline and speed up the server response time by not having the server process these un-needed 'features'.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby roughbarked » Wed May 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Ta..
does that relate to the monty python stomp?
roughbarked

Postby justjj » Fri May 31, 2013 2:25 pm

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05 ... your-data/
Given my laptop doesn't have a lot of storage, I have been using cloud storage ... Dropbox, iCloud and now ipernity for some documents.

I thought this article interesting / informative and am wondering if tech savvy people have opinions about which are more secure.
I don't keep critical info in these things, but I'd be lost at best and vulnerable if my own iCloud passwords etc were got at.
justjj

Postby Helix » Fri May 31, 2013 4:00 pm

Er...wasn't there a Lissajous figure under the foot yesterday?
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby ilago » Fri May 31, 2013 5:37 pm

justjj wrote:http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05/icloud-users-take-note-apple-two-step-protection-wont-protect-your-data/
Given my laptop doesn't have a lot of storage, I have been using cloud storage ... Dropbox, iCloud and now ipernity for some documents.

I thought this article interesting / informative and am wondering if tech savvy people have opinions about which are more secure.
I don't keep critical info in these things, but I'd be lost at best and vulnerable if my own iCloud passwords etc were got at.

Might be worth reading this brief review of cloud storage options

I'm not sure relying on a single option is the best answer. I prefer Dropbox for now. It has apps for phones, Android and iOS, iPads and applications for Windows, OS X and linux. I've used it for years and it's never missed a beat. Google Drive is available for gmail users and has direct access to google docs - some of my stuff is there. I don't have an office application installed on my netbooks at all, just a text editor. I use Evernote for clipping webpages and a few bits and pieces. It has browser extensions which give you the immediate ability to clip and save images, entire pages or save notes. In general, I'm happy to have things on line for ease of access, but I do remove old stuff when it's not needed any more.

You seem to have photos well covered.

The disadvantage with cloud storage is the access when you don't have a net connection. There is a somewhat lesser risk of the service failing completely or being hacked in big way. For feeling secure, an external HDD with your data saved in addition to any cloud storage is probably the best way to go.

The other thing to keep in mind is that an of these services could be stopped/lost/shutdown with no notice for any number of reasons. The Microsoft "Plays for Sure" service is an example of a service lost with little or no notice. Things have moved on since then, but it's something to consider.
ilago

Postby fsm » Fri May 31, 2013 5:45 pm

Helix wrote:Er...wasn't there a Lissajous figure under the foot yesterday?

Foot? What foot?

Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby justjj » Fri May 31, 2013 6:27 pm

ilago wrote:I'm not sure relying on a single option is the best answer.

You seem to have photos well covered.
The other thing to keep in mind is that an of these services could be stopped/lost/shutdown with no notice for any number of reasons.

I've learned a few lessons through the flickr thing.
Not least is not to panic.
At first I was horrified, but have got past that :)
Unfortunately in the early days I didn't keep the originals so the flickr ones were all I had.
I was lucky that DO pointed out the sense in NOT relying on the net.
I am also lucky that duplicating my entire flickr to ipernity was a cinch and MUCH quicker than I had imagined AND kept the important information as well, so am very pleased about that.

I will of course over time download the ones I REALLY want to keep .

I do have an external drive with everything on, just some things I like to have available when I am away from home (or the drive stored safely elsewhere).
justjj

Postby fsm » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Links posted here should now open in a new tab (hopefully).
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby fsm » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:32 am

We might have to send Binky over the wall to patrol the perimeter of the Holiday forum.

Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby Helix » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:09 pm

fsm wrote:We might have to send Binky over the wall to patrol the perimeter of the Holiday forum.

To keep them in?
Helix

Postby fsm » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:30 pm

It appears that they have had a troll problem recently, so keeping them in may be a good solution.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby Helix » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:24 pm

fsm wrote:It appears that they have had a troll problem recently, so keeping them in may be a good solution.

Perhaps they need a moderator?
Helix

Postby justjj » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Good Morning Techsters.
I have just been through a couple of "stalls" on my laptop (Dell XPS) while transferring a HEAP of pics to an external drive.
One large file transferred quickly and easily but the second balked at estimating time to do the job.
It was very difficult to close down and I needed (in the end) to force it to close.

ON restarting I got a windows message saying something about a problem and I OKed it to find a solution on the net.

Is there anything I ought to do now to "cleanup" any issues?

I'ld like to transfer the next file (over 1000 pics) but thought I would ask before trying again.
justjj

Postby Milieu intérieur » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Maybe break them up and drop batches into folders and transfer, jj. Copy and paste, not cut and paste, to be cautious.
Milieu intérieur

Postby justjj » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks Mi, it would appear to be a problem with the external storage thingo.
I have been able to copy that whole of month file onto a USB storage; the other thing wouldn't even accept the smaller files.
Now I have to hope that everything else on it is safe.

Lary, if you are still around; I tried sending a PM to you re that article ... can you see if it got to you ok?
It's about copyright issues.
justjj

Re: TECH Chat: report on cloud risks

Postby justjj » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:51 pm

"The UNSW report on cloud risks is a weighty read, but it’s worthwhile if you want to get a realistic handle on exactly what the hazards are in moving to the cloud."

http://paulwallbank.com/2013/07/04/risk ... computing/

More detail here:
http://www.businessspectator.com.au/art ... ness-cloud
"Critics of cloud computing have long pointed out the risk of foreign governments accessing business data, particularly US agencies using the country’s Patriot Act. In the wake of Edward Snowden’s revelations on government internet spying, those claims have been largely vindicated."
justjj

Postby ilago » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Talk about overkill.........

EDA's CIO, fearing that the agency was under attack from a nation-state, insisted instead on a policy of physical destruction. The EDA destroyed not only (uninfected) desktop computers but also printers, cameras, keyboards, and even mice. The destruction only stopped -- sparing $3 million (£2 million) of equipment -- because the agency had run out of money to pay for destroying the hardware.

US Agency Overreacts to malware infection
ilago

Postby fsm » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Allowing the fear of malware to generate that kind of destruction is so much more than any malware writer could ever hope to achieve by code alone. Just crazy...
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby ilago » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:59 pm

fsm wrote:Allowing the fear of malware to generate that kind of destruction is so much more than any malware writer could ever hope to achieve by code alone. Just crazy...

That and what sort of IT support do they have? The US probably has more volunteer malware removers than anywhere else in the world and a few large antivirus corporations that would have been happy to be contracted for that sort of work. They could have had it all done for free on line *shakes head*
ilago

Postby Helix » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Paranoia and massive over-reaction seems to be the order of the day among governments. Destroy the computers is the modern equivalent of burn the witch.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Helix wrote:Paranoia and massive over-reaction seems to be the order of the day among governments. Destroy the computers is the modern equivalent of burn the witch.

some number puncher tells that it is cheaper to push the unassembled spitfires overboard than bury them for future treasure hunters.
roughbarked

Postby justjj » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:57 pm

fsm wrote:Allowing the fear of malware to generate that kind of destruction is so much more than any malware writer could ever hope to achieve by code alone. Just crazy...

That's hilarious ... I KNOW, I KNOW it is a fearful waste of resources, even in the wealthiest nation on earth ... but still ... and isn't it the counterpart of the NSA / PRISM thing too ... that some people with "big ideas" and limited knowledge can only see nails?

oh and for more laughs .. this review.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/susan-gr ... d-new-book

she's become some kind of caricature of ... I don't know.

#greenfieldisms is one of my favourite hashtags on twitter.
justjj

Postby ilago » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:16 pm

justjj wrote:

That's hilarious ... I KNOW, I KNOW it is a fearful waste of resources, even in the wealthiest nation on earth ... but still ... and isn't it the counterpart of the NSA / PRISM thing too ... that some people with "big ideas" and limited knowledge can only see nails?

Huge scale incompetence apparently. I wouldn't think the corporations contracted to design and operate PRISM and the NSA would be short of dopes either - it's the nature of huge organisations.

"A"s hire "A"s,
"B"s hire "C"s etc. etc.

oh and for more laughs .. this review.

Dear oh dear. What can you say? She's lost the plot!
ilago

Postby Helix » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:04 pm

justjj wrote:oh and for more laughs .. this review.

Oh, lordy! That's one I won't be buying.

The scientist character speaks like Susan Greenfield. The other scientist character speaks like Susan Greenfield. The hedonist characters speak like Susan Greenfield pretending to be slightly stoned. Whole chapters pass by where nothing much happens other than a thinly-veiled Susan Greenfield avatar explaining, in excruciating detail, every minute facet of how this world works. The effect is like watching a child sitting on an imaginary throne, gathering all their cuddly toys at their feet before putting on a funny voice and getting their teddy bears to deliver them obsequious compliments.

The Guardian reviewer is similarly unimpressed.
Helix

Postby justjj » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:01 am

No point cluttering up the real thread; I want to learn more about the technical and political aspects of it ... but this Australian connection is interesting too.

http://rt.com/news/telstra-australia-us ... lance-004/

Which, compared with this, is instructive.

His reasoning is exactly where my larger concerns lie.
“If the government really wants to keep secret information secret, they should follow the law and the Constitution in their actions, not only here, but abroad. Don’t get me started on Guantanamo.”

http://rt.com/usa/ashdown-xmission-surv ... ology-981/

"As US broadband giants betray customer privacy in the name of profit, the owner of a Utah-based internet company has stood up for his customers’ privacy, refusing to compromise his personal or professional integrity for warrantless wiretapping.

Pete Ashdown is the founder of XMission, an independent internet service provider (ISP) based in Utah. The company has built a stellar reputation among users concerned with protecting their privacy. "
justjj

Postby fsm » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:30 pm

We have a proper domain name now, http://fffsforums.com/

The other way will still work.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby Helix » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:49 pm

Hey! It works!

:)
Helix

Google Glass

Postby justjj » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:05 am

http://laughingsquid.com/sign-at-bar-re ... -premises/

"Shelby DeNike, Sr. Systems Administrator for Laughing Squid web hosting, spotted a sign banning the use of Google Glass at Boulder, Colorado’s Press Play bar.

It reads “Google Glass Is Banned On These Premises.”

The sign is the work of the organization Stop The Cyborgs who aren’t looking for a complete ban on Google Glass and other wearable tech devices but are “trying to shape social norms by highlighting the problems with wearable technology and encouraging people to politely ask people to remove their devices in social or private contexts.”

They aim to “stop a future in which privacy is impossible and corporate control total.”

Here are the downloadable signs they have available to create a “Glass free zone“:"
justjj

Postby Helix » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:58 pm

Here's something about Google Glass that might concern the Tories...

The world's first Google Glass pr0n movie
Helix

Remember Conroy's Filter?

Postby justjj » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:27 am

http://boingboing.net/2013/07/26/uk-cen ... block.html

"UK PM David Cameron and Claire Perry say that they plan on forcing Britain's ISPs to have a "default-on" censorship app for every connection in the UK. But the UK Open Rights Group have been talking with whistleblowers from the ISPs that have met with the government's censorship grandees, and they report that the censorware will come equipped to block an enormous swath of legal Internet content, and unless you untick the boxes, this will all be censored for your Internet connection:
..."

The ignorance scale has just been recalibrated.
justjj

Postby Helix » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:35 am

There are layers and layers of this --- some layers are deliciously ironic and some are full of WTF? Here's one that brings together Internet censorship and spying:

Chinese firm Huawei controls net filter praised by PM

The pornography filtering system praised by David Cameron is controlled by the controversial Chinese company Huawei, the BBC has learned.

UK-based employees at the firm are able to decide which sites TalkTalk's net filtering service blocks.

Politicians in both the UK and US have raised concerns about alleged close ties between Huawei and the Chinese government.

The company says the worries are without foundation and prejudiced.

But...

But Huawei's position was recently the subject of an Intelligence and Security Committee (ISC) report. It criticised the lack of ministerial oversight over the firm's rapid expansion in the UK.

The committee said "the alleged links between Huawei and the Chinese State are concerning, as they generate suspicion as to whether Huawei's intentions are strictly commercial or are more political" - but added that it had not found any evidence of wrongdoing.

That's okay then.

Oh, wait.

It said it had worries that a UK-based testing centre set up to examine Huawei products was staffed by experts employed by the Chinese firm.

The ISC said Huawei was "effectively policing themselves".

In the US, intelligence committees have gone further, branding Huawei a threat to national security.
Helix

Postby Helix » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:18 pm

On the subject of Cameron's pr0n filter...

Boris Johnson unveils a new sculpture in Trafalgar Square.

“I think if you tried to Google in the future, the Prime Minister would stop you from finding it,” joked the Mayor.
Helix

Postby justjj » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Helix wrote:On the subject of Cameron's pr0n filter...

Boris Johnson unveils a new sculpture in Trafalgar Square.

“I think if you tried to Google in the future, the Prime Minister would stop you from finding it,” joked the Mayor.

*tries again!*

That made me laugh :)
He's not all bad is he.

ON my first try to post here a little while ago I had a post about a new technology robot thing that would make wheelchars redundant ... it was the best (bar NONE) piece of technology I have ever seen and now I'll have to go find it again.

*later*

http://www.wimp.com/newdevice/

otoh the only piece of technology I have used today is an axe ... to great effect :)
justjj

Postby Teleost » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:00 pm

There must be something wrong with my phone manner!

I just got a call from "Tech support" about my windows computer. I didn't even get to ask which computer, let alone ask which version of windows before they hung up. I was so looking forward to telling them my start menu doesn't have anything they wanted me to click on.

It's hard to get good "tech support" these days.

LOL.
Teleost

Postby ilago » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:04 pm

I wonder how many people believe those calls?

There are still people that believe Nigerian scam emails apparently :(
ilago

Postby Teleost » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:07 pm

The other day Mrs T kept one busy for almost half an hour before telling them that she knew it was a scam :)
Teleost

Postby ilago » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:13 pm

I never get such "interesting" calls.

I have this wonderful chart for using with telemarketers and other a-holes. I've never had a chance to use it and I suppose if I ever did, I wouldn't be able to find it :(
ilago

Next

Return to Tech