Nature CHAT

Na

Re: Nature CHAT

Postby Teleost » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:29 pm

Noice. :)
Teleost

Postby buffy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:03 pm

Quick question....in the fires in SA last week they talked about a piggery. I never heard any more. Did the pigs in fact perish? There were an enormous number of them.
buffy

Postby roughbarked » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:56 pm

buffy wrote:Quick question....in the fires in SA last week they talked about a piggery. I never heard any more. Did the pigs in fact perish? There were an enormous number of them.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-25/c ... ty/6972066
roughbarked

Postby buffy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:11 am

Well yes, but that is the news reports saying people fled. And presumed. I'm after more information about what did actually happen. I don't know if the pigs were shedded (I presume they were) or freerange. If freerange, they may have been in denuded paddocks and some survived. If shedded, some sheds may have survived, although it's possible the pigs were overheated. This was a grassfire. Fast. Sometimes a grassfire just rushes through and misses some bits.

I'm after what they found when they went back. Did any survive or was it wholesale catastrophe?
buffy

Postby Helix » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:08 pm

If only we were able to access some sort of search engine.

More than 500 pigs died at a piggery and at least 51,000 chickens perished at another property. Another 15,000 pigs were saved.

Farmers in Mid-North start counting loss from Pinery fire devastation

Also

PIRSA update: 200 pigs died in the #Pinery fire at Wasley with another 300 euthanized. 51k chooks died at a Hamley Bridge farm #SAfires

Brett Worthington
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby buffy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Thanks. I must have used the wrong search terms. And Twitter is a mystery I choose not to demystify. There is enough in my life without it.
buffy

Postby nut » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:51 pm

Quite the cautious bird! Didn't like me getting close at all but I annoyed it for a bit anyway.

nut

Postby Peak Warming Man » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:22 pm

Evening Pilgrims, hope youse are all well.
Is there a problem with the Holiday forum?
I'm getting a bad gateway error, do they have a problem or is it my dodgy remote connection from the redoubt?
Peak Warming Man

Postby fsm » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:28 pm

That error means that the problem is at the other end, not at your end.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Peak Warming Man » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:31 pm

Thanks Michael, so it's down yeah?
Peak Warming Man

Postby roughbarked » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:41 pm

Peak Warming Man wrote:Evening Pilgrims, hope youse are all well.
Is there a problem with the Holiday forum?
I'm getting a bad gateway error, do they have a problem or is it my dodgy remote connection from the redoubt?

I'm getting it too.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:41 pm

Peak Warming Man wrote:Thanks Michael, so it's down yeah?

Yeah.
roughbarked

Postby Peak Warming Man » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:43 pm

Thanks Roughie.
Peak Warming Man

Postby Peak Warming Man » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:04 pm

I'm working my way through a six pack of bud so I'll sit outside and talk amongst myself then.
Peak Warming Man

Postby roughbarked » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:22 pm

Peak Warming Man wrote:I'm working my way through a six pack of bud so I'll sit outside and talk amongst myself then.

Well I'm checking the net between various jobs, some TV and a couple of ales.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:19 am

My son's family are having a problematic Christmas due to a fire that happened in the adjoining house that rendered their house uninhabitable until repaired. The blown out window is the bedroom of my granddaughter.

http://sa.mnocdn.no/incoming/article382 ... 1220151851
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:27 am

This is something that the eye can barely detect.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:33 am

Peak Warming Man wrote:I'm working my way through a six pack of bud so I'll sit outside and talk amongst myself then.

That's dreadful, PWM. You should have bought beer.

How's the redoubt going?
Helix

Postby Peak Warming Man » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:18 pm

It's going good thanks Helix, I'm up here now hammering and sawing.
How's FNQ going, still writing books?
Peak Warming Man

Postby Helix » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:35 pm

Peak Warming Man wrote:It's going good thanks Helix, I'm up here now hammering and sawing.
How's FNQ going, still writing books?

Sounds great. I am envious!

FNQ is good. Am back in the rainforest with a house full of animals. It's not supposed to be full of animals, but they just wander in. The writing's going well. Had a lovely week at Varuna in the Blue Mountains in July. It was spent writing, eating, drinking and hanging out with other writing-type people. It's not a bad life.
Helix

Postby Helix » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:04 pm

The local wildlife. (Not all of it, obvs.)

Helix

Postby flying spaghetti monster » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:42 pm

Awwwww, it's an interpretive dance bandicoot having a day off.....
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
flying spaghetti monster

Postby roughbarked » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:17 am

flying spaghetti monster wrote:Awwwww, it's an interpretive dance bandicoot having a day off.....

:)
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:47 pm

flying spaghetti monster wrote:Awwwww, it's an interpretive dance bandicoot having a day off.....

She does look very much like that hyperactive bandicoot!
Helix

Postby *jj* » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:12 pm

Helix wrote:

She does look very much like that hyperactive bandicoot!

Made me look ... and laugh, it does so too

No more weeding here; the ground is rock hard.
Am watering seedlings planted out during the year.
We were a bit (over) ambitious, so now it really is a big job to keep up with, but if I can get them through this summer it will be great.

Will be glad to see the back of the spear grass seed season.

Right this minute I am inside and can hear the Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoos crunching through the green apples
*jj*

Postby Helix » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:36 pm

Hope the seedlings make it through what looks like a long and hot summer. We're all waiting for the monsoon, which is supposed to be here next week. Fingers crossed.

A lot of things are in fruit at the moment. Diploglottis (native tamarind) and Synima macrophylla (Topaz tamarind) are producing like crazy, the native nutmeg (Myristica insipida) is well on its way and so are some of the Millaa Millaa vines. One of the figs is also producing fruit, but I'm not sure which species it is. There are so many of them. Anyway, the birds are doing very well for themselves. The wompoos, spotted catbirds and tooth-billed bowerbirds are so full, they can barely fly.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:07 am

My apples and almonds are being chewed by mallee ringnecked parrots. The Major Mitchell population which was never large has been decimated by local almond growers. Why, I don't know as they were never going to eat much until they managed to rebuild a large enough population. Presumably the farmers are not well educated enough to know the difference between Sulphur Crested Cockatoos and Major Mitchells. The almond industry is still in expansion.

I've limited my stonefruit to small trees with multiple varieties grafted on and this gives me smaller amounts of each fruit at slightly different times. The fruitfly season has not been so impossible to deal with this summer but it is still difficult to get fruit without constantly spraying. Fruit fly baits don't really control the problem. I'm reluctant to spray chemicals to control QLD fruit fly or Carpophilus beetles because there is no surety that these chemicals will not impact the myriad of more welcome life forms that comprise the local ecosystem.

roughbarked

Postby buffy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:36 am

We have cicadas this year. I'm trying to remember when I last heard them. It must be a few years.
Info for anyone that wants to renew their acquaintance:

http://australianmuseum.net.au/cicadas- ... cicadoidea

(Because I had to reread it, so long since I did!)
buffy

Postby *jj* » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Cicadas here too buffy, which is unusual.
thanks for the link.

It's looking like a few fires in Vic again ... even the Dandenongs and a bomber out your way.

All quiet here ... back to 35C and occasional, welcome spots of rain. No thunder or lightning thank goodness.

This suggests you might be getting some though at the leading edge of this.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR641.loop.shtml

H and I have been bucketing water onto plants to young to cope with 3 consecutive hot days.

Thanks goodness for aircon is all I can think to say
*jj*

Postby Helix » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Buffy, hope the Vic fires aren't too close to your place. :(
Helix

Postby buffy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:56 pm

We didn't go to full alert, but we had a couple of hours there this afternoon when there was a stubble fire about 7km out of town. Fortunately the wind was in our favour - blowing it away from town. At the same time we had no power for three hours. We have a generator. It's been in use twice this week. On Thursday the power went off at 4.30 and didn't come back on until 10.00pm.

The Vic Emergency site seemed a bit slow this afternoon. But we are quite impressed with the app that warns you when there is a fire within 20km of your address. It must come straight out of the emergency control room. I still prefer to listen to the listening set though. I can hear the trucks and local base.
buffy

Postby roughbarked » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:13 am

I see several fires each day. I presume that they are farmers burning off wheat stubble. They have always done it around here. Probably need to have a permit but also the volunteer firefighters are probably also farmers themselves. It is only on irrigated farmland that these burn offs occur.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:45 am

buffy wrote:We didn't go to full alert, but we had a couple of hours there this afternoon when there was a stubble fire about 7km out of town. Fortunately the wind was in our favour - blowing it away from town. At the same time we had no power for three hours. We have a generator. It's been in use twice this week. On Thursday the power went off at 4.30 and didn't come back on until 10.00pm.

The Vic Emergency site seemed a bit slow this afternoon. But we are quite impressed with the app that warns you when there is a fire within 20km of your address. It must come straight out of the emergency control room. I still prefer to listen to the listening set though. I can hear the trucks and local base.

7km is quite close enough! :(

I hadn't heard about the app. Sounds like a good idea.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:56 pm

I don't really want to be close to any fire. The sun is close enough.

Carols by sunset.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:20 pm

BoM is forecasting a nice wet Xmas here. At the moment, it looks as though W Queensland will miss out, but it all depends on what the low in the Gulf does.

Helix

Postby roughbarked » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:00 am

Here's to a moist Christmas.
roughbarked

Postby Peak Warming Man » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:50 pm

Merry Christmas hippies.
Peak Warming Man

Postby Helix » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:15 pm

Peak Warming Man wrote:Merry Christmas hippies.

Merry Christmas, PWM.
Helix

Postby nut » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:52 pm

Merry Xmas both and all :)
nut

Postby roughbarked » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:04 am

nut wrote:Merry Xmas both and all :)

Thankye and may you all have a very merry time as well. :)
roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:21 am

And from my household to yours too.

It's an unpleasant day here and I am working through all my "penultimate stage" fire preparations.
"Issued at 6:36 am CDT on Friday 25 December 2015.
Weather Situation
Hot to very hot with northeast to northwesterly winds 30-45 km/h, ahead of a strong and vigorous west to southerly wind change 35-55 km/h moving across the State during the day. Isolated thunderstorms mainly near and behind the wind change and also in the northeast."

I'm watching this ...
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR641.loop.shtml
... we had 9 "local" fires last time this kind of thing came over, but all were caught immediately.

The electric start, petrol fire pump / water situation is all *GO* here , but between the last trial two weeks ago and this one, one of the joints in a downpipe has popped, so that gutter wonn't hold water ... have just temporarily mended it with some kind of glue and a stick bracing it shut (nothing if not inventive here).

Now everything is just posing; ready for action.

I can imagine buffy has done the same if our weather proceeds that way, as it usually does and binjy and many of you guys too, of course.

I am not doing my usual Christmas /New Year break with ALF, but am catching up on things here .
It's been a full on few months and it looks as though a full week, late January, could work before our kids (and so I) all go back to work
*crosses fingers*

H and I were going to spend 3 days checking out Goyder's Line / Highway again, this time just through the midnorth, but given recent fires, they don't need any more traffic on the roads just now.
We have settled on making a long but quick trip to see binjy instead; I haven't see her in AGES and though it's two days traveling for just one day there, with her and her bro on the bank of the Murray, it will be good.

My big excitement is
1 _ No more dental surgery (as of yesterday, cutting it fine)
2 _ Some of the kids and I are going to the "Investigator Group", in the Bight, Flinders Island for 5 days.
If you're interested in having a look, it is off Cape Finnis, the township of Elliston on the west coast of SA.
It was our family's home for 4 years, from about '55 through '59, we reckon ... hopeless memories for dates!

So, that's all my news.
I send my best wishes to you all for a healthy and happy 2016, and that all your hopes and plans work out well.
j
*jj*

Postby buffy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:25 pm

And merry Christmas to those who do it from me and Mr buffy. Oh, and Babuschka. And I guess Hei Long, but he is at the pet resort this week. We are going to Melbourne tomorrow to catch up with my Mum and Dad and my brothers and their families, and the two dogs are a bit much for Auntie Annie next door. Well, actually, it's the active Pug that is a bit much for her. So although we are only going for two nights, Long had to go to the kennels on Tuesday (Josee doesn't open on a Wednesday and didn't want incoming on Christmas Eve) so he is there until Monday afternoon when we get back.

We've had high thirties temps and gusty, swirly winds today. We've attended to the fire listening set a couple of times, but both times it was just weather reports. It's now clouding over but still gusty.

Time to see about watering the veggies. I'm really hoping for some rain. But we've been disappointed a lot this year on that front.
buffy

Postby buffy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:27 pm

I really had better water....this just looks pathetic....
buffy

Postby Helix » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:26 pm

Merry Christmas, you lot!
Helix

Postby Teleost » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:08 pm

And the same to you.

Santa finally brought me a microscope!

:) :) :) :) *happy dance* :) :) :) :)
Teleost

Postby Teleost » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:11 pm

Stay safe jj.

If in doubt, just get out!
Teleost

Postby Teleost » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:12 pm

roughbarked wrote:Here's to a moist Christmas.

Thanks, but we had a nice dry day for a change :)
I need to mow and spray so I'm hoping it stays dry for a few more.
Teleost

Postby roughbarked » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:18 am

buffy wrote:And merry Christmas to those who do it from me and Mr buffy. Oh, and Babuschka. And I guess Hei Long, but he is at the pet resort this week. We are going to Melbourne tomorrow to catch up with my Mum and Dad and my brothers and their families, and the two dogs are a bit much for Auntie Annie next door. Well, actually, it's the active Pug that is a bit much for her. So although we are only going for two nights, Long had to go to the kennels on Tuesday (Josee doesn't open on a Wednesday and didn't want incoming on Christmas Eve) so he is there until Monday afternoon when we get back.

We've had high thirties temps and gusty, swirly winds today. We've attended to the fire listening set a couple of times, but both times it was just weather reports. It's now clouding over but still gusty.

Time to see about watering the veggies. I'm really hoping for some rain. But we've been disappointed a lot this year on that front.

I've recorded 7 mm out of this lot so far. Looks like the cricket will start late today. Hope the sailors get to Hobart safely.

Happy boxing day.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:19 am

Teleost wrote:
roughbarked wrote:Here's to a moist Christmas.

Thanks, but we had a nice dry day for a change :)
I need to mow and spray so I'm hoping it stays dry for a few more.

Well you must have got the dry days I sent you. I seem to be getting some moisture. :) all good.
roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:14 am

Popping in to report all well here and VERY grateful for storm coming through last night despite over-flowing gutters ... I forgot to open the valves that block them so did it without any need for torches, due to the lightning.
I like to think it was because I watered all the little plants yesterday ;)

6mm of rain very welcome and so is the 11C right now.

Horrified to hear of the Vic fires .. even as I know that's a fatuous thing to say.
Last I was in Lorne it was a lovely little ag/fishing town ... had NO idea it had changed in the intervening 40+ years.

Maybe this will help make the govt rethink closure of some abc local stations.
they really are vital at these times ... conduits for almost instant hyper-local information
It was local knowledge by the presenter that I believe saved me, trying to get home "the back way" long ago.
Still a long and maybe hot summer to get through ... each year I have more in place, but not complacent at all.
Cheers and Go Well, everyone.
*jj*

PreviousNext

Return to Nature