-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Nature CHAT

Na

Re: Nature CHAT

Postby roughbarked » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:59 am

Preserve the abc at all costs.

I'm smiling because I had slowly received 11 mm from 5 AM to 10 AM and then got another 11 mm in nine minutes. Have had another mil since then and it is still wetting me when I look at the gauge. I won't be surprised if there is 25 mm in there before the end of the day.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:17 pm

We've had over 50mm so far today. Almost all of that was in the last hour. I probably won't be going into town for a while.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:05 pm

Helix wrote:We've had over 50mm so far today. Almost all of that was in the last hour. I probably won't be going into town for a while.

23 mm was where the tube filled up to. Still can't go to work today.

Oh look, pretty pictures

but why put the pictures on the inside of the hat?

roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:46 am

It was difficult to fit them all in because it was dark and photos weren't easy to get. There were five. Here's mum and two babes;

There are four in this shot though as the fourth is hiding behind mum.

Dad was sitting in the next tree only a metre away.

Yes these are my family because they live and nest in trees I planted.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:31 am

According to Professor Kingsford, it was not only the drought
affecting water availability.

"The long-term decline in waterbird numbers we primarily see in the
Murray-Darling is symptomatic of the over-allocation and river
regulation, the building of dams and diversion of water that's
occurred over that period," he said.

"Very often in the past we've considered our rivers as just pipes for
delivering water for agricultural communities."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-27/a ... lo/7055178
roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:33 pm

roughbarked wrote:It was difficult to fit them all in because it was dark and photos weren't easy to get. There were five. Here's mum and two babes;

There are four in this shot though as the fourth is hiding behind mum.

Dad was sitting in the next tree only a metre away.

Yes these are my family because they live and nest in trees I planted.

Those are beautiful shots, rb.
Daughter a fair few k away, but still in the Hills, had a pair nesting close to the house but so high up we could not see them without binoculars.
They still hear them , now hatched, but haven't seen them in about a month.
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:05 am

Thanks jj. These were all sitting no higher than 2.5 metres in the trees near my side gate. They were probably taking the kids out for Christmas dinner.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:11 am

A good friend sent me this so I'm just sharing it.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:49 pm

The Northern Territory Government's decision to allow thousands of magpie geese to be caught and sold to restaurants this hunting season has shooters crying foul, after their bag limit was reduced.

Could be why I saw a small flock of magpie geese here at Nericon Swamp on Saturday. First time I've ever seen them this far south.
roughbarked

Postby buffy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:52 pm

Hello people of Nature. Been hot and windy and horrible here today. jj...looks like the lightning had a bit of a thing for the Lower Glenelg National Park this evening. Fires around Nelson. One of my retired staff has a boatshed at Donovans....not sure if they are down there at the moment or not. We've now dropped to 31 degrees. Just walked the dogs the 100m into the park to the stream/creek and let them paddle. Then the 100m back up the hill to the house. Any more walking is out of the question at the moment. But if we cool overnight we should be right for a normal walk tomorrow morning.

I am still on leave until 19th. Feels like I haven't been to work for years! I'm still adapting to taking more than one week off at a time. And because of the way the days fell this year, we didn't open the practice in the first week of the new year. Usually we have a couple of working days after New Year day and then close for two weeks. It is a very long time since I've not worked for three weeks in a stretch!
buffy

Postby Helix » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Hope the weather's better today, Buffy.

After a few days of dry and 30C, we're back down to damp and mid-20sC, which is perfect for me.
Helix

Postby nut » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi Buffy, great you are having so much time off. I much prefer more than two weeks rather than week here or there. It is much cooler today 20 degrees after 39 yesterday :)
nut

Postby roughbarked » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Thu, Jan 14 26.4°C 29°C 0.0mm
Wed, Jan 13 24.8°C 45.2°C 0.0mm
Tue, Jan 12 24.2°C 40.7°C 0.0mm
Mon, Jan 11 20.2°C 41.8°C 0.0mm
Sun, Jan 10 17.7°C 38.6°C 0.0mm
roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:59 pm

Hiya ... have had a beaut holiday break from the usual routine, but "back in harness" again now.

It's good to be home.
Stay Safe (at least for the Summer!)
*jj*

Postby nut » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:13 pm

Get out of there Roughy, you'll cook! Get out I tells ya.
nut

Postby Helix » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:40 pm

'ning

Finally bought myself a smart phone -- the cheapest I could find -- and have been trying out the camera. This was the first pic I took: green-eyed tree frog (Litoria serrata) on one of the upstairs windows. Cropped in camera and compressed for upload. I'm quite pleased with the detail, though.

Helix

Postby roughbarked » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:28 am

nut wrote:Get out of there Roughy, you'll cook! Get out I tells ya.

I'll dry, first.
roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:25 pm

Was away for a week and feared for young plants (reveg) as too big a job to ask house-sitter, but only lost 4 of well over a hundred, so very relieved.
Cooler again today, thank goodness
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:59 am

*jj* wrote:Was away for a week and feared for young plants (reveg) as too big a job to ask house-sitter, but only lost 4 of well over a hundred, so very relieved.
Cooler again today, thank goodness

That's good news. :)

I had some seedlings severely burned looking but they are still alive and reshooting. It was progressively hotter for a period of four days culminating at 45˚C. The next day was 29. We have had a few of those, However the long hot dry, is yet to start.
roughbarked

Postby buffy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:43 pm

I need a botanist. I have in my mind that Dichondra is a legume. Is that right, or have I made it up?
buffy

Postby Helix » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:06 pm

buffy wrote:I need a botanist. I have in my mind that Dichondra is a legume. Is that right, or have I made it up?

I am not a botanist nor do I play one on television, but, according to the Atlas of Living Australia, Dichondra belongs to the Convolvulaceae, so isn't a legume.
Helix

Postby buffy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:16 pm

Ta, Helix. I don't know why I got it into my head that it was a legume, when I knew it was Convolvulaceae. Must be one of those muddleheaded things that happen sometimes. Anyway, I let it run wild in the veggie patch and then just rip it out periodically. It keeps the ground a bit cooler.
buffy

Postby Helix » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:00 pm

Legumes are usually a good bet!
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:35 pm

Helix wrote:Legumes are usually a good bet!

Choosing your legumes is also a good bet. For example the nitrogen fixing capability of your average green bean bushes in the vege garden is negligible because they don't stay there long enough.
roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:59 pm

I am enjoying these not-too-bad hot days ... even though total Fire Ban days (and any fire would get away quickly) it's not been outrageously hot.

Today I did a full-dress-rehearsal of the fire drill with the 3YO who spends each Tuesday with me ... he coped with all the requirements very well. We will do that each week so it will be second nature for both of us if needed. I am not comfortable with the firefighting engine, fear I will forget the steps of choke etc if nervous, hence the practising. I do now have the battery backup sorted and that is one more "wish" crossed off the list.

Less demanding and way more fun was seed-collecting before he came and again after he went ... the bush is too hot and prickly and potentially snakey for him. .
Collected a heap of small seeds, especially of the hand flower and lillies so am really happy with that.

I see there are fires etc in lots of places, still, and likely to continue ... can only hope people are safe.

oh and buffy, I once read quite a detailed article about a NZ bowling green that used a specially bred fine-leaved form of dichondra repens ... it was fanatastic ... no mowing!
(Not Tom Thumb, as I recall but some convoluted number :))

Now, to refurbish the bird baths (again) and do the rounds of the seedlings with a top up; I like the routine, especially as the plants are responding well enough ... would probably be cranky and give it away if too many died.
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:53 am

Apart from the odd snake seen on the roads and the two or three the neighbour said her dog killed, I've only seen the one in my yard this summer. It was a yellow faced whipsnake that slithered past my bare feet. In most other years 've had brown snakes on the doorstep often.

I'm doing OK with seedlings and cuttings in the nursery but all the ones I've planted out have died in the recent hot days so I'm keeping them in pots until after the hot stuff is over. This is an area where the water table has been less than 50 cm from the surface during wet seasons. Though that was back in the eighties the last time.

I too am happy that we haven't yet had many more than four consecutive days that are over 35 before it cools off again.
roughbarked

Postby buffy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:11 am

Hi jj. I found yesterday very uncomfortable in Casterton, despite it being "only" 32 degrees. And having the small portable aircon going. I suspect the humidity was a little higher than usual. We've been like you, down in the teens. I'm not sure if we've done a single digit humidity yet this season. I probably don't want to know about that. My garden in Casterton is in sleep/crispy mode. I'm not sure how much of it will wake up again. The fruit trees have just dropped all fruit and it is dessicated on the ground. At least it's not a lure for Euro wasps in that condition.

We dropped a bore here on Sunday. Haven't got the submersible down there yet, and we haven't had the water tested, but it won't be too long and I will be able to have a green strip across the front (North) of the house. I don't mind having to cut the grass a bit. I'd just like the green, for safety and for coolness inside. Even with a whole botanic garden between us and the plains, I'd like a bit of green.
buffy

Postby roughbarked » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:14 am

Very little green here.

Other colours though.

roughbarked

Postby buffy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:43 am

We had some rain. About 9mm. The plants are rejoicing.
buffy

Postby *jj* » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:47 pm

That's the word.
So are kids across the Hills, who've just installed (& connected just in time) their 20,00 things concrete rainwater tank .

I was sure I'd have lost the seeds I have been waiting to collect in the bush.
I collected a fair few a couple of days ago and could see heaps more, but was away when the storm came through and presumed all would have been dispersed by the wind, rain and even hail, but no.

so am now back inside, out of the hot sun, with a very healthy collection.

This year has been a turning point for the block with many plants showing up in good numbers for the first time, not only looking healthy but obviously benefiting from my experimental pruning.
I stopped counting when i got to 100 of each of Lobelia & Chieranthera and over 50 Persoonia and Halgania.
Still have only ever seen one solitary Scaevola (the white one), but for the first few years I was here there were no more than 10 of any of the above that I ever found in a single year.
The new ones are throughout the areas once heavily infested with watsonia; it's hard to explain what a transformation it has been.
There are hundreds of young self sown local plants ... especially the Hakea carinata that theYellow Tailed Black cockatoos like. I am trying to decide whether to support at least some of the more exposed ones with my little drip-irrigator-plastic-milk-cartons ...

For the moment it's time for a nananap and cool down ... i managed to get seriously sunburned on my recent holiday and am still feeling it; certainly don't want to exacerbate it.
*jj*

Postby buffy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:47 pm

>>The new ones are throughout the areas once heavily infested with watsonia; it's hard to explain what a transformation it has been.<< jj

This is fantastic. And having dealt with watsonia myself, I salute your determination and efforts.

:)
buffy

Postby roughbarked » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:43 pm

That's excellent news jj. :)
roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:58 am

Thanks rb and buffy and all
I feel like you guys have been weeding with me for a LONG time.
The block looks great just now, as all the remaining watsonias are dormant and there are large areas where I can see open ground that was once chockablock with them.
There aren't many things more satisfying than walking over a thickish mat of dead exposed watsonia bulbs!
Otoh there were gazillions of new seedlings last Spring,so it will take a while yet.
(and (as you'd expect) heaps of other weeds, but none so dispiriting as I used to find the watsonia, so it's all good(ish))

It's another beautiful day, makes everything feel good, especially with a coffee to hand.

*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:08 am

*jj* wrote:Thanks rb and buffy and all
I feel like you guys have been weeding with me for a LONG time.
The block looks great just now, as all the remaining watsonias are dormant and there are large areas where I can see open ground that was once chockablock with them.
There aren't many things more satisfying than walking over a thickish mat of dead exposed watsonia bulbs!
Otoh there were gazillions of new seedlings last Spring,so it will take a while yet.
(and (as you'd expect) heaps of other weeds, but none so dispiriting as I used to find the watsonia, so it's all good(ish))

It's another beautiful day, makes everything feel good, especially with a coffee to hand.

:) You deserve to be able to have a cuppa and survey your work.
roughbarked

Postby buffy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:42 pm

"Paddocks Alight" on NITV at 7.30 tonight sounds interesting. Using fire in the environment.
buffy

Postby *jj* » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:49 pm

It's been quite a week, this week, and now a storm is brewing ... am glad to be home again after several days in the city.
We spent some time there tying /pegging things (like the trampoline :)) down, given the BOM warnings before I came on home to do the same here.
and http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDS65503.shtml

On looking at the national BOMsite I see that Adelaide's storm is not as big a deal as some others ... so can only say "Stay Safe.
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/national ... loop.shtml

With any luck the creek will be up and running in the morning and since H loves it and is here o'night, that will be a neat thing to check.

18mm last week I think; 21mm last night (and drenched ALF's front seats, so january's rainfall is looking excellent after all.

PS Staying Safe Hint: Don't hold the stem of plant while helping 3YO get the hang of using secateurs :P
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:53 pm

*jj* wrote:PS Staying Safe Hint: Don't hold the stem of plant while helping 3YO get the hang of using secateurs :P

Please don't tell me that you allowed injury to your fingies!
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:25 pm

I hope you've still got all your digits!

Looks like you might get a bit of rain of TC Stan when it decays. Lucky ducks.
Helix

Postby Helix » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:32 pm

*sigh* I am going to have to take the plunge (financially) and get some new camera gear. I haven't bought any new dSLR stuff for more than a decade, so I think I can justify it to myself.
Helix

Postby nut » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:57 pm

wow... more than a decade, that is a long time.

Hope I have helped :)
nut

Postby Helix » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:26 am

nut wrote:wow... more than a decade, that is a long time.

Hope I have helped :)

Immeasurably!
Helix

Postby *jj* » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:50 pm

Howdy you guys ... you have just reminded me what good luck it was to have had all the scribbly people shutterbugging for those years.
It was the most marvelous encouragement.
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:57 am

*jj* wrote:Howdy you guys ... you have just reminded me what good luck it was to have had all the scribbly people shutterbugging for those years.
It was the most marvelous encouragement.

Yes it was. I do miss neomyrtus among others. As for camera gear, I too have long needed an upgrade.

This plant is one of several that came with the sugarcane mulch that the store with the big B sells. So called weed suppressing mulch.

roughbarked

Postby Helix » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:00 pm

roughbarked wrote:Yes it was. I do miss neomyrtus among others. As for camera gear, I too have long needed an upgrade.

That little point and shoot Olympus seems to be doing well.

roughbarked wrote:This plant is one of several that came with the sugarcane mulch that the store with the big B sells. So called weed suppressing mulch.

Cypress vine, Ipomoea quamoclit
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:44 pm

Helix wrote:
roughbarked wrote:Yes it was. I do miss neomyrtus among others. As for camera gear, I too have long needed an upgrade.

That little point and shoot Olympus seems to be doing well.

roughbarked wrote:This plant is one of several that came with the sugarcane mulch that the store with the big B sells. So called weed suppressing mulch.

Cypress vine, Ipomoea quamoclit

Yes the Olympus is working well but in close focus mode i tmakes its own mind up about what it is focusing on half the time which leads to a lot of blurry images. Thanks for the ID.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:59 am

roughbarked wrote:
Yes the Olympus is working well but in close focus mode i tmakes its own mind up about what it is focusing on half the time which leads to a lot of blurry images.

Sure, I do give it tasks that could be construed to be difficult. This though is largly due to the fact that I take my photos in the environment with no aids other than my shaky hand held camera platform and my ageing eyes.

Like many who aren't fulltime photographers, that which interests me usually needs to be captured within a few short instants. The point and shoot tends to fit the bill as an easier way to achieve this but at the same time may cause as much frustration as it saves.

Taking photographs of very small things can never be an easy task even with the latest equipment and photo enhancing software. Neither of which I have or have ever had.

True, I only tried to capture this image for a couple of minutes and took four images. However the subject was quite small and sitting on spiderweb attached to a plant that I've never been able to get a satisfactory shot of the flowers due to the movement of the plant in the slightest of breezes. With an SLR one is using the viewfinder and therefore can coordinate hand eye movement with greater accuracy. With a viewing screen, I find myself needing to rely upon the green square that says some part of the image is now iin focus but then the subject or the camera platform(me) may move even if the camera doesn't take into its brain to decide to focus somewhere else.

roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:19 am

This is the first year in 38 years that there have been no major mitchells visiting. By none I admit that there was one very shy visitir on one day. At this time of year I usually have up to sixty visit on several days and from two to six visit almost every day of the year.

I know why. It is the almond and walnut farmers that have blossomed around me. They get thousands of dollars per tonne and hundreds of tonnes yet they cannot allow a few nuts to feed a handful of birds.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:42 pm

roughbarked wrote:
roughbarked wrote:
Yes the Olympus is working well but in close focus mode i tmakes its own mind up about what it is focusing on half the time which leads to a lot of blurry images.

Sure, I do give it tasks that could be construed to be difficult. This though is largly due to the fact that I take my photos in the environment with no aids other than my shaky hand held camera platform and my ageing eyes.

Like many who aren't fulltime photographers, that which interests me usually needs to be captured within a few short instants. The point and shoot tends to fit the bill as an easier way to achieve this but at the same time may cause as much frustration as it saves.

Taking photographs of very small things can never be an easy task even with the latest equipment and photo enhancing software. Neither of which I have or have ever had.

True, I only tried to capture this image for a couple of minutes and took four images. However the subject was quite small and sitting on spiderweb attached to a plant that I've never been able to get a satisfactory shot of the flowers due to the movement of the plant in the slightest of breezes. With an SLR one is using the viewfinder and therefore can coordinate hand eye movement with greater accuracy. With a viewing screen, I find myself needing to rely upon the green square that says some part of the image is now iin focus but then the subject or the camera platform(me) may move even if the camera doesn't take into its brain to decide to focus somewhere else.

All that's covered in the manual.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:08 pm

Helix wrote:
All that's covered in the manual.

I'll have to google the manual. The camera isn't mine and he didn't give me that.
roughbarked

Postby Peak Warming Man » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:42 pm

And then what happened.
Peak Warming Man

PreviousNext

Return to Nature