-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Nature CHAT

Na

Re: Nature CHAT

Postby justjj » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:13 pm

Kate Galloway ‏@katgallow 8m

Here is a background on the move on laws for bats in #qld, in @AltLJ http://www.altlj.org/news-and-views/dow ... s-for-bats … #environment #bats #auslaw

"
Kate Galloway
Queensland

Outbreaks of Hendra Virus in Queensland in recent years have resulted in a more responsive approach by government to the management of flying foxes. Queensland farmers have, for some time, been calling for measures to control flying foxes which affect their crops. Consequently, the Nature Conservation (Wildlife Management) Regulation 2006 was amended in 2012 to allow the killing of flying foxes under a damage mitigation permit (‘DMP’), where flying foxes have caused damage to crops resulting in significant economic loss.

Additionally, a private members bill was introduced late in 2012 seeking to allow the cull of flying foxes on private land, and removing the Nature Conservation Act restrictions on disturbing flying fox roosts. The Bill has not yet passed.

The Queensland government seems to have expected local authorities to take responsibility for moving on flying fox colonies in residential areas, through application for a DMP for removal or disturbance of flying fox roosts. Dismayed with the low uptake, Premier Campbell Newman reportedly called councils ‘lily-livered’ in failing to ‘put the interests of residents first’. He has threatened to implement a mobile government ‘bat squad’, charging councils for the cost of removal of flying fox colonies.

The Cairns Council was the first in Queensland to respond, voting unanimously to apply for a DMP and undertake removal itself.

In a concerning development, the Premier has indicated that if councils fail to take responsibility, the government may consider ‘overhauling the Local Government Act to make it a legal requirement for councillors to put the interests of people first.’ While the meaning of this is open to interpretation, it seems that conservation and environmental protection in Queensland is likely to be under threat.

KATE GALLOWAY teaches law at James Cook University."
justjj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby justjj » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:36 am

" Extinction Symbol ‏@extinctsymbol 5m

There's a growing consensus among scientists that the Earth is in the midst of its sixth mass extinction:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-mar ... 16099.html
"

"
Many people may already view this drastic loss in global biodiversity as an inevitability; a set of changes that don't threaten humans nearly as much as, say, extreme weather events.

In reality, we are members of an interdependent global ecosystem. Frighteningly, the rise of certain climate change winners, for example, the disease carrying Asian Tiger Mosquito, or several species of pollen spewing ragweed supercharged by increased levels of CO2, present direct threats to human health.

Other impacts will hit us indirectly, such as the evolution of your morning cup of coffee from mere habit to luxury item with the threatened extinction of the coffea arabica plant, which supplies 70 percent of the world's coffee crop.
..."

NO!
Not My Coffee!
:)
justjj

Postby Helix » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:23 pm

I don't suppose it helps to know that Coffea arabica is a bad weed of rainforests?

Well, I've just returned from a long and leisurely lunch at Lake Barrine. Saw a very small number of great crested grebes waaaaaay over on the other side of the lake. Usually there's a big flotilla of them.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby Teleost » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Ahh. that explains what I'm doing wrong.

I'm going to stop lavising care on my unhealthy coffee plant and neglect it with the rest of my plants that do well :)
Teleost

Postby Helix » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:42 pm

It might be too hot where you are, Teleost! I think it's more an upland species.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Teleost wrote:Ahh. that explains what I'm doing wrong.

I'm going to stop lavising care on my unhealthy coffee plant and neglect it with the rest of my plants that do well :)

Sounds like a plan.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Helix wrote:It might be too hot where you are, Teleost! I think it's more an upland species.

This would be it, yes.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:01 pm

The latest episode of the Infinite Monkey Cage is particularly good.

The Infinite Monkey Cage takes a witty, irreverent and unashamedly rational look at the science of biodiversity, conservation and ugly animals, with guests Sandy Knapp, Simon Watt and Sara Pascoe.

Sandy Knapp is the Solanaceae expert at the Natural History Museum.
Helix

Postby justjj » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:50 pm

Helix wrote:The latest episode of the Infinite Monkey Cage is particularly good.

It is.
Thanks
I had access to broadband today so made good use of it and downloaded all 41 programmes ... that should be enough entertainment if I'm ever out in the wild blue yonder with nothing to do, shouldn't it.
Big news here for today is that a young Eastern Brown Snake has moved in (or maybe just hatched here). Only about 50cm long and perfect; creamy golden colour, but very shy so far.

Total Fire Bans all over; bushfire action plans activated; stay safe!
justjj

Postby roughbarked » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:59 pm

justjj wrote:
Helix wrote:The latest episode of the Infinite Monkey Cage is particularly good.

It is.
Thanks
I had access to broadband today so made good use of it and downloaded all 41 programmes ... that should be enough entertainment if I'm ever out in the wild blue yonder with nothing to do, shouldn't it.
Big news here for today is that a young Eastern Brown Snake has moved in (or maybe just hatched here). Only about 50cm long and perfect; creamy golden colour, but very shy so far.

Total Fire Bans all over; bushfire action plans activated; stay safe!

Definitely not just hatched.
Yes Mrs rb spotted the same snake twice in an evening on stepping out the back door and freaked.
I had to let her in on the secret that it was there every evening. Ours is creamy golden too but much longer than yours, closer to a metre or a bit longer.

Elvis the water bomber flew over my head and landed on the other side of the hill just yesterday. The entire horizon was smoky fires and the sunset and moonrise were spectacular.
roughbarked

Postby justjj » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:03 am

http://www.nationswell.com/sea-weed-save-mankind/

Kelp: The Sea Weed That Could Save Mankind
justjj

Postby Helix » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:00 pm

Thought I'd mention a couple of nature books I've just started reading -- The Butterfly Isles by Patrick Barkham and White Beech by Germaine Greer. The first is a natural history travelogue (for want of a better description) by a 'butterfly anorak' who also happens to be a Guardian journo. It's about a summer spent tracking down every species of butterfly resident in the British Isles. As you do. Fortunately for him, there are only 59 of them.

In the other book, Greer talks about her rainforest rehabilitation project in SE Queensland near Springbrook. Inspiring stuff.
Helix

Postby justjj » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:55 pm

I've just checked and Greer's "White Beech" is less than $10 as an ebook.
justjj

Postby justjj » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:30 pm

This is a bit grim ... shouldn't have read it really; had had a great day!

layers of complications.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-reese- ... 70475.html
justjj

Postby JWillis » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:55 pm

Guess this place is dead. If someone is trapped in there and still alive, keep yelling as someone may pass, sometime.
JWillis
JWillis

Postby Helix » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:14 pm

From the ticker at the top ^^^

How flying snakes master the art of gliding

It includes some footage of a gliding paradise tree snake. Here's more footage, this time from ground level.

The article says:
"They are small and they're effectively harmless," he says. "And to tell you the truth, they're much more scared of you than you are of them. If you are near them, they're gliding away from you and not at you."

I did have a close encounter with one of these snakes in Indonesia. I was standing in a forest and something dropped from a tree onto my shoulder and then the ground. It was an inelegant moment from an otherwise rather elegant snake.
Helix

Postby Teleost » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:17 pm

And of course, I'm sure you maintained your composure.

I'm sure it was similar to the way that I stay cool, calm and collected when a Polyrachis or Oecophylla nest invades my shirt :)

They're types ants for the "normal" folk :)
Teleost

Postby Helix » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:41 pm

Teleost wrote:And of course, I'm sure you maintained your composure.

I did. I had spent the morning catching bloody enormous uropygids by hand, so that had set the tone, as it were. I wasn't sure what had fallen at first -- I thought it was a big twig or something -- and then people started pointing and laughing. And there was a rather lovely -- and no doubt embarrassed -- snake slithering off.

We were on Rakata (the island formerly known as Krakatoa), where paradise tree snakes are relatively common. Someone caught it to make sure it wasn't a more interesting species. (It wasn't.)
Helix

Postby Teleost » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:15 am

Now you're just making me jealous.
I once found a pseudoscorpion in Brinsmead......

*sighs*
One day my progeny shall leave me and I'll once again be free to travel and investigate the world.
Teleost

Postby Teleost » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:35 am

progeny=wallet leeches
Last edited by Teleost on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teleost

Hey FSM!

Postby Teleost » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:45 am

Hey fsm!

Can we get an edit feature? My speelung and grammer mistakes annoy me when I read my posts!

I know it's a big ask and all.....

Edit: Doh! Ignore the idiot in the corner!
Teleost

Postby buffy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:50 pm

Hello Strangers. I saw Bill L the fungus man yesterday. I have pointed out this forum to him. I don't know if he will come here or not.
buffy

Postby flying spaghetti monster » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:33 am

buffy wrote:Hello Strangers. I saw Bill L the fungus man yesterday. I have pointed out this forum to him. I don't know if he will come here or not.

It's Buffy!
Thanks, I do hope Bill the fungus man will come here.
I miss the variety of people that the old SSSF had. Its a shame to see it dissipate.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
flying spaghetti monster

Postby roughbarked » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:25 pm

Image There are way less rice farms than there used to be. There is also no longer the widespread natural flooding of the type that would approximate a rice crop.
roughbarked

Postby justjj » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:01 am

Dale Nimmo ‏@DaleNimmo 3m

Survey on human judgements of species diversity, v/simple, pls help by doing the survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/biodiversity-project-2
justjj

Postby Helix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:47 am

justjj wrote:Dale Nimmo ‏@DaleNimmo 3m

Survey on human judgements of species diversity, v/simple, pls help by doing the survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/biodiversity-project-2

Done! I wanted to know what these hypothetical IUCN-listed and keystone species were, though!
Helix

Postby justjj » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:27 am

Science as it is (or can be :))

" It all began in March 2013 with an amateur entomologist, Pierre Gros who posted on an internet forum the photograph of a bizarre worm found in his garden."

http://blog.peerj.com/post/78539586627/ ... ou-justine

and Good Morning!
justjj

Re: Trees / First Dog

Postby Helix » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:43 pm

First Dog's not letting up, is he?
Helix

Postby Helix » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:15 pm

While we're chopping down our forests, the Indian state of Karnataka is expanding its protected areas.
Helix

Postby nut » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:04 pm

It just flew up and landed in the .... errr... tree.

P.S. I don't know why it doesn't display in post?
nut

Postby Teleost » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:17 pm

It may be due to the size of the image.

Is it supposed to be...You know..."Arty"? It's a bit squished.
Teleost

Postby nut » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:37 pm

haha... yep did get a bit squished. Was playing around in Gimp today. That is all I have to show for my Saturday *laughs*
nut

Postby *jj* » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:22 am

We've had a top winter here; good rains well-spaced out (full tank again ;))

Right now it is bush violets and donkey orchids and sundews time; birds are nesting in the boxes and the hollow trees.
New people in the valley seem intent on reducing it to any other suburban patch with chainsaw, mowers, whippersnippers and f'ing blowers operating all weekends. I don't understand why they didn't buy a block in some (un-named) place, to be honest. Less work for them and more life for hard-pressed native stuff.

The Yellow Tailed Black cockatoos haven't stopped off here yet, though have been in other Hills areas for a few weeks. I'm hoping their radars dont think that just because local pine trees were being cut down while they wre last her that there isn't any food around.

Daughter has raised a heap of seedlings from my bush here so I'm planting out Hakea carinata for them .. so far only 10 in and 90 to go.
I want to get them in while the subsoil is still damp as they are quite small (5cm). Am also putting in Mount Lofty Pines, Callitris rhomboidea
which they like too.

Apart from that, life does go on here, grandkids keep me out of mischief (or into it) and I hope all is well with you guys too.
*jj*

Postby *jj* » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:40 am

Can only say I hope you are managing to keep up the good fight, Teleost and others, but it seems insane to even care right now.
Plodding here, but that's ok ... no reason why our lives should be any better most of the world's lives is it, (though of course, it is).

Too much of my reading is like this ... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... bombs.html

I no longer listen to the news but I read lots and try to understand some of it.

Cheers.
*jj*

Postby nut » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:00 pm

Don't forget to read good news stories too, otherwise we may all end up more insane.
nut

Postby Teleost » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:23 pm

On the positive side of things, I'm in a new job and fighting the good fight.

As of next week, (keeping all fingers and toes firmly crossed) I will finally have a ground team of 10 workers 4 days a week.

Then we'll be able to knock those crazy ants around a bit :)
Teleost

Postby *jj* » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:08 am

That's great news, Teleost; just what the Dr (nut :)) ordered.

And my good news is that yesterday two Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoos visited.
They seemed very small, youngsters, to be out on their own, but it was terrific to see them again.
The Greenhoods and Donkey Orchids are hanging on despite all the wind, and the sunorchids and Spiders are budding up nicely.

It's been windy but still dampish with occasional showers which has been good for them ... and all helps with the regen project here, so being out in it feels good.

Am STILL hoping to see Hakea francisiana in bloom over near Iron Knob, but maybe not this year, after the thrill of finding it where I can easily get to it, I am content to wait.

On my last trip I also discovered an exceptionally beautiful (to me!) "back road" , parallel to the coast but inland from the main highway, between Whyalla and Cleve, so I am keeping that as my *one day, again* plan.
In the mantime, Cheers to you all.
*jj*

Postby *jj* » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:19 am

Another day ... all good here on this beautifully warm Spring day, and trust it is for everyone else as well.
*jj*

Postby Helix » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:34 pm

*jj* wrote:Another day ... all good here on this beautifully warm Spring day, and trust it is for everyone else as well.

Glorious spring day here too, but still very dry. BoM claims that we got 1 mm of rain in September, but I'm not sure about that. No prospect of rain in the near future either. We're about to get a spell of high temps too. *grumble*
Helix

Postby Helix » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:40 pm

I was going to do some weeding today, but it's too hot at the moment. Definitely an early morning activity here.

At least the long dry spell is keeping down the populations of ticks and leeches.
Helix

Postby Teleost » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:24 pm

Helix wrote:I was going to do some weeding today, but it's too hot at the moment. Definitely an early morning activity here.

At least the long dry spell is keeping down the populations of ticks and leeches.

Glad that's how it is up your way..

My vet has lost 5 out of 25 dogs this month to ticks. All the fieldies I've spoken with recently are saying that ticks are worse than normal.

I just hope the dry weather hangs on. Three months of being office bound and watching day after day of perfect treatment weather and it's only now I've finally got a field team together. I'm going to have to flog them to get all the creeks treated before the wet comes.
Teleost

Postby Helix » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:29 pm

Sounds like all the ticks are down your way, Teleost. Suits me!
Helix

Postby *jj* » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Have been "on the road" between sick kids but noticed in passing a reference to the fire ants in mainstram media this morning ... and wondered if there were any "new" news, Teleost.

Seems like a no-win situation for you guys with inadequate resourcing.
*jj*

Postby Teleost » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:24 pm

I don't hear much about the fire ants these days as they are in Brisvegas and Gladstone and I no longer work for that department.

But yes, funding for all invasive ants (or any other feral for that matter) is woefully inadequate in comparison to the amount of work that needs to be done. I have to rely almost entirely on volunteers to get a lot of my field operations done :(
Teleost

Postby *jj* » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:45 am

So many things wrong there.
Short term contracts ... professional knowledge bases hampered ... will stop there.

Good for you keeping going.
*jj*

Postby roughbarked » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:26 am

Good to see you jj. :)
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Teleost wrote:I don't hear much about the fire ants these days as they are in Brisvegas and Gladstone and I no longer work for that department.

But yes, funding for all invasive ants (or any other feral for that matter) is woefully inadequate in comparison to the amount of work that needs to be done. I have to rely almost entirely on volunteers to get a lot of my field operations done :(

It's a ridiculous situation. :(
Helix

Postby Helix » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:12 pm

Finally got around to sawing up the tree that fell across the drive way in Monday's storm. Now I don't have to detour around it. The stone-curlews are peeved, though. They were enjoying the shelter of the branches.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:17 pm

Helix wrote:Finally got around to sawing up the tree that fell across the drive way in Monday's storm. Now I don't have to detour around it. The stone-curlews are peeved, though. They were enjoying the shelter of the branches.

and here they were thinking they'd got the driveway back.
roughbarked

PreviousNext

Return to Nature