-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Nature CHAT

Na

Re: Nature CHAT

Postby Helix » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:31 pm

roughbarked wrote:
Helix wrote:Finally got around to sawing up the tree that fell across the drive way in Monday's storm. Now I don't have to detour around it. The stone-curlews are peeved, though. They were enjoying the shelter of the branches.

and here they were thinking they'd got the driveway back.

They still have it for the 23 hr 58 minutes a day when I'm not using it.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby nut » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi everyone :)

Been an interesting week. Another operation on my tongue. Funeral. Work. I have done virtually nothing and still am tired as hell. I think that is pretty tired, it sounds tired, tired as hell. Thank goodness it is the weekend. Yay! Off to dinner with the inlaws :) Hope everyone is well. Good to read you all.
nut

Postby Helix » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:51 am

'ning, nut!

Sounds like quite a busy week. Hope you're getting a chance to relax.
Helix

Postby buffy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:47 pm

Hello you lot. I've not been around here much for ages. Not getting out to the bush as much as I'd like, but making a lot of headway on growing the veggies. I've had two years now of four day working weeks. Still not quite caught up with everything I want to do. I suspect I need 4 days not working in the week to really catch up. But I've got my tomato seedlings germinated a lot earlier than usual and I'm hoping to not have to wait until March for a Real Tomato this season.

Went to the bush a couple of weeks ago. Spring flower are getting into full swing. Magnificent displays of wax lip orchids this year.
buffy

Postby Helix » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:20 pm

Spring is gorgeous in your neck of the woods (and coastal heath), Buffy.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:29 pm

I'm enjoying the colour change in the Pheasant coucal in spring. There's one that cruises the orchard and garden here.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:59 pm

roughbarked wrote:I'm enjoying the colour change in the Pheasant coucal in spring. There's one that cruises the orchard and garden here.

Nice animals. I haven't seen (or even heard) one for a while. The last one I encountered wandered into the house and ended up perching (not very well, they're clumsy birds) on the shower door.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Helix wrote:
roughbarked wrote:I'm enjoying the colour change in the Pheasant coucal in spring. There's one that cruises the orchard and garden here.

Nice animals. I haven't seen (or even heard) one for a while. The last one I encountered wandered into the house and ended up perching (not very well, they're clumsy birds) on the shower door.

They are clumsy at perching. Graceful in a gliding dive.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:12 pm

roughbarked wrote:
Helix wrote:

They are clumsy at perching. Graceful in a gliding dive.

lol

You haven't seen them flying, have you?
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Helix wrote:lol

You haven't seen them flying, have you?

Yes. ;) they are hopeless fliers but they can glide short distances well.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:51 am

*rubs hands with glee*

Just been organising a trip to UK & Netherlands late next year. Not sure I can fit all that I need to do into the time allotted, so I'll have to prioritise. Haven't been to the Netherlands before.
Helix

Postby Teleost » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:42 pm

buffy wrote:Hello you lot. I've not been around here much for ages. Not getting out to the bush as much as I'd like, but making a lot of headway on growing the veggies. I've had two years now of four day working weeks. Still not quite caught up with everything I want to do. I suspect I need 4 days not working in the week to really catch up. But I've got my tomato seedlings germinated a lot earlier than usual and I'm hoping to not have to wait until March for a Real Tomato this season.

Went to the bush a couple of weeks ago. Spring flower are getting into full swing. Magnificent displays of wax lip orchids this year.

We can't eat all the tomatoes this season. I'm currenlty making sauce :)
Teleost

Postby Helix » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:35 pm

Spotted a Torresian imperial-pigeon today. I'd always associated them with the coastal lowlands and islands. I hadn't realised they came this far inland.
Helix

Postby nut » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:58 pm

Nice find! Distribution map in HANZAB marks its inland vagrant activity to around Atherton in that area. Bit hard to tell from the map.

:o)
nut

Postby Helix » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:14 pm

I was quite surprised! I was looking at a forest kingfisher through the binos and the pigeon landed in the tree behind it. It's probably flown up the Russell River valley. Hope it finds some of its friends.
Helix

Postby Teleost » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:16 pm

I spotted a pair of crimson finches in the back yard the other day.

Made me feel happy for ages :)
Teleost

Postby Helix » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:30 pm

Haven't seen those little fellas up here, although I think they have been seen on the western edge of Tablelands. Cute birds.
Helix

Postby Teleost » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:36 pm

It's only the second time I've ever seen them.

My backyard species list is now at 29.
Teleost

Postby roughbarked » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:26 am

nut wrote:Nice find! Distribution map in HANZAB marks its inland vagrant activity to around Atherton in that area. Bit hard to tell from the map.

:o)

Unless you are reading a list of sightings, maps are fairly generalised.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:29 am

Teleost wrote:It's only the second time I've ever seen them.

My backyard species list is now at 29.

I'm in a completely new backyard these days. Newrybar ridge.

Everything is different, though the crested pigeon exists here as well as the odd galah.

This one is new to me. Lots is new to me including picking ticks out of my hair. Image
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:17 am

Looks like Teia anartoides, the painted apple moth.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:57 pm

Helix wrote:Looks like Teia anartoides, the painted apple moth.

Thanks. :) I'll try looking that up.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:16 pm

And the channel-billed cuckoos are back. Noisy buggers.
Helix

Postby *jj* » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:05 pm

Good Evening ... were they the ones geoff d always remarked on too?

My fav today (now I'm confident the YTBCs are back and OK) was a pair of black-faced cuckoo shrikes.
I'd seen them separately (or the same one trying to trick me) but both sat together for some time today.

I particularly popped in to drop this off; thought it interesting.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... ode=ttpm20

Dying to be clean: pen trials of novel cat and fox control devices

Abstract

Predation by feral cats (Felis catus) and red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) are key threatening processes for many endangered wildlife species. Toxin delivery through compulsive oral grooming is a potential mechanism to supplement existing control techniques for feral cats and red foxes, particularly when high prey densities reduce the uptake of toxic food baits by cats. We investigated the efficacy of different grooming traps by applying a gel containing toxic para-aminopropiophenone (PAPP) to the fur of feral cats and red foxes in experimental pens. Grooming behaviour and signs of poisoning in these animals were recorded by video. More cats interacted with “walk past” grooming traps triggered by sensor beams than with trap models that required the cat to enter a pipe or baited cage. After triggering a trap that had applied PAPP gel to their fur, 14 of 16 feral cats showed symptoms of anoxia, and 8 of these cats were dead by the following morning without exhibiting signs of distress. Seven of 12 foxes were observed to groom fur to which toxic gel had been applied and 3 of these ingested a lethal quantity of PAPP as a result. Our successful proof-of-concept trials support further development of grooming trap sensors and toxin delivery mechanisms to provide humane and targeted feral cat control, although this technique is unlikely to be as successful for fox control, given that foxes appear to not groom as fastidiously as cats.

View full text
Download full text
*jj*

Postby Helix » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:16 pm

Yes! I'm sure Geoff would have seen them at his place.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:31 am

I'm currently reading Germaine Greer, the rainforest years. See your name in the credits, thank you for your work in helping this work come to my attention.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:31 pm

Dang! I thought it might rain this weekend, but it's going to be fine all way through until Friday. So I've got no excuse to put off cutting back veg from the paths and working out a strategy for weed control.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:35 pm

Helix wrote:Dang! I thought it might rain this weekend, but it's going to be fine all way through until Friday. So I've got no excuse to put off cutting back veg from the paths and working out a strategy for weed control.

good thinking 99. ;)
roughbarked

Postby nut » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Nice picture Roughbarked! Inspired me to go outside for 10 minutes :)

Not much to take pictures of that will also stay still in the middle of the day. Gluttony?

Canon 40D, MP-E 65mm with MT-24EX twin lite, diffused. 1/250s f10.
nut

Postby fsm » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:58 pm

Nice shot, nut! You inspired me to venture outside for a few minutes and find a bug to shoot. This is the only stinky thing that I could find. It was hiding in the lemon tree.

250mm 1/200 @ f5.6 with added flash goodness.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby nut » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:11 pm

Nice! Wish I had something interesting. I am so over bees, not to degrade any bees that might be reading this.

Some info here on your stink though perhaps it is something different?
nut

Postby roughbarked » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:19 pm

I found one of those as well. More than one actually.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:39 pm

roughbarked wrote:I'm currently reading Germaine Greer, the rainforest years. See your name in the credits, thank you for your work in helping this work come to my attention.

Okay. I'll bite.

Which forummer are you talking about?
Helix

Postby fsm » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:57 pm

I'll see your stink bug and raise you with this parked snail (with slightly smashed shell).

Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby Helix » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:07 pm

That's yer introduced garden snail (Cantareus aspersa), FSM.
Helix

Postby nut » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:14 pm

I was trying to take shots of snails a while back but was disappointed in the result, they move to fast I tells ya!

P.S. Sorry, could have made that a bit smaller :( .

Last edited by nut on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nut

Postby roughbarked » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Helix wrote:
roughbarked wrote:I'm currently reading Germaine Greer, the rainforest years. See your name in the credits, thank you for your work in helping this work come to my attention.

Okay. I'll bite.

nobody in particular if naming is what you need.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:18 pm

nut wrote:I was trying to take shots of snails a while back but was disappointed in the result, they move to fast I tells ya!

Faster than auto zoom. ;)
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:21 pm

roughbarked wrote:
Helix wrote:

Okay. I'll bite.

nobody in particular if naming is what you need.

*sigh*
Helix

Postby nut » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:22 pm

roughbarked wrote:...
Faster than auto zoom. ;)

No auto-zoom or auto-focus and it was pitch black holding a small torch in hand while juggling the camera. Also our snails here are on steroids, they are seriously fast and that is the story I am sticking to!
nut

Postby fsm » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:24 pm

Your snail looks much more energetic than mine! It also appears to be being eaten by a mosquito.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby Helix » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:27 pm

Oh god, I've done it again -- written a post and hit preview instead of submit.

In response to nut mentioning how fast snails can move...

They soitainly can move quickly. I have problems trying to get the focus right on the constantly changing surface. I've been trying for ages to get a decent photo of Sarasinula plebeia, which is an introduced slug from the Caribbean islands and northern South America. The surface is quite easy to focus on, but the animal looks like a turd. Unpolishable.
Helix

Postby nut » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:28 pm

fsm wrote:Your snail looks much more energetic than mine! It also appears to be being eaten by a mosquito.

I thought the mossie was pretty cool but I didn't know it was there until I had come back to the comp. I knew there were mossies just not on the snail hahaha.
nut

Postby fsm » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:34 pm

Helix wrote:The surface is quite easy to focus on, but the animal looks like a turd. Unpolishable.

Mythbusters used the Japanese dorodango technique to prove that you can polish a turd.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby Helix » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:37 pm

fsm wrote:
Helix wrote:The surface is quite easy to focus on, but the animal looks like a turd. Unpolishable.

Mythbusters used the Japanese dorodango technique to prove that you can polish a turd.

I saw that one! Which one did they manage to polish? The lion? The ostrich?

ETA: Wikipedia tells me it was both!
Last edited by Helix on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helix

Postby fsm » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:38 pm

They polished both but the lion poo came out shinier.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby nut » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:39 pm

Helix wrote:Oh god, I've done it again -- written a post and hit preview instead of submit.

In response to nut mentioning how fast snails can move...

They soitainly can move quickly. I have problems trying to get the focus right on the constantly changing surface. I've been trying for ages to get a decent photo of Sarasinula plebeia, which is an introduced slug from the Caribbean islands and northern South America. The surface is quite easy to focus on, but the animal looks like a turd. Unpolishable.

On a more serious note. I hadn't picked up my camera in ages and thought a snail might be an easy target, there were heaps around here at the time. I had lost a lot of the feel for my camera and found I blew out the light in most shots. The snail was less than co-operative too. I wanted an action shot but they didn't like the light at all and I had to get quite close with the MPE lens. I would have preferred to get it in a natural setting but it just didn't work for me. Next time :)

P.S. I have to press Preview and then Submit at the moment or the post doesn't appear. Probably just need to refresh my browser or something. Thank goodness for the back button.
nut

Postby *jj* » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:26 pm

G;day you lot
My camera is visiting a friend for a few days so he can check if it would suit his needs. I'm not using mine much these days either, nut.
He's also taking a ute load of cacti and agapanthuses away.
Apart from that, I went in to the #WalkTogether #Adelaide .

G'nite you lot.
:)
*jj*

Postby buffy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:34 pm

I had an animal trip back from Casterton today. At one point near Coleraine I had to come to a complete stop on the highway while a koala ambled across the road. A bit closer to Hamilton I thought I saw a young camel in a paddock. Yes, I did see a young camel in a paddock! And then in Hamilton itself there was a coach (like a stagecoach) being driven around town with a heap of kids hanging onto the roof. I swear I nearly didn't see it because I was not expecting it and my brain refused to see it! I stopped to give way and the driver indicated he was going around the corner.

Sometimes it's amazing the number of interesting things you can see in one day.
buffy

Postby Teleost » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:10 pm

I know what you're talking about Buffy.

The other day I saw a lovely goanna - fairly common, an echidna - not so common, and then a pair of deer in the middle of the day in an open paddock in Far North Queensland!
Teleost

PreviousNext

Return to Nature