-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Grampians

Na

Grampians

Postby nut » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:04 pm

Went to MacKenzie Falls in the Grampians yesterday for a walk. They had a fire go through that area in February 2013. Here are a couple of snaps:

Southern Water Skink, Eulamprus tympanum.

Looking back on the walk to MacKenzie Falls

MacKenzie Falls, Grampians National Park. Stitched five images together.

Large Grasshopper of Goniaea sp. Possibly the Gumleaf Grasshopper, Goniaea australasiae.
nut

Re: Grampians

Postby nut » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:50 pm

Fish Falls is down from MacKenzie Falls along the walking track towards Zumsteins Picnic Area. This is twenty images stitched together and shows 360 degrees so is somewhat artificial, but a nice picture all the same?
nut

Postby buffy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:09 pm

Thanks nut. We hadn't got around to checking it out since the fire. Looks like the paths are OK....or have they been remade? How are the steps down? We were there a week before the fire went through.
buffy

Postby nut » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:24 pm

Paths are good Buffy. At MaKenzie the little shop is no more but the toilet is still there.There is a viewing platform about halfway down towards the falls that now is just a metal frame. Everything esle seems good. I walked about three quarters the way to Zumsteins which was all good.

We were there about a month before the fires. Actually we took family from the US to MacKenzie which burnt out, we took them to the beach which was closed the next week due to a shark issue and we took them to StKilda beach which also burnt down a week later.
nut

Postby nut » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:24 pm

I didn't remember it from two years back but his is the burnt viewing platform halfway down the trail and also what remains of the tourist kiosk looking back across towards the car park which is out of sight beyond th fence. The toilets survived at Both MacKenzie Falls and Zumsteins it seems so if there is a fire...

nut

Postby nut » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:03 pm

Fire was last year?

This is a shot MacKenzie Falls back on the 18th January 2014.

nut

Postby buffy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks nut. We took my sister (who has been living in Houston Tx for twenty or so years), her American partner and her American son to Mackenzie in the first week of January. My sister and her partner loved it.....the 16 year old put up with it. They complained about how the weather was too cool for their liking. I was amused to email her a couple of weeks later to tell her that Halls Gap was surrounded by fire!
buffy

Postby Helix » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:21 pm

Lovely pics, nut. I look forward to threads like this!
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby fsm » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:28 am

They are some very nice shots of the Grampians! The last time that we went there (NYE - about 10 years ago) it was about 400 degrees in the shade!! Poor Ruby near melted.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Nature