Re: Yellow Cazy Ant Thread

Postby *jj* » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi again
Neat story about drones being trialed
:)
*jj*

Postby Teleost » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:02 am

Those bloody drone drongos again! Did you notice that there weren't any WTMA representatives interviewed about them?

Drones certainly have potential for dangerous areas and areas with difficult access. I can see a huge amount of potential in the future. They are being used for a lot of remote sensing jobs. I went to a workshop the other day and saw a brilliant presentation where CSIRO were using them to detect Miconia infestations.

The problem is that these bozos are pushing their own cart and using my program to do it. Once they’d done some rudimentary R&D and developed a working prototype they decided that they wanted $1000 per hectare. Their machine carries a payload of 1Kg and we treat at 5Kg/Ha. Treatment by ground crew is around $60/Ha and a helicopter is $44/Ha. Field teams don't get flat batteries after half an hour and once they clear a creek from weeds, can plant trees to stop the weeds coming back.

That particular company have pretty much shot down any hope they had of getting any paid work from us.
Teleost

Postby *jj* » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:11 pm

bugger.
Still, I am glad I asked ... it's interesting to know AND raises other questions that some of us might need to know (to ask) one day.
That CSIRO stuff is great to know too.
Thanks
*jj*

Postby Teleost » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:18 pm

All publicity is still good publicity.

Some friends on other projects are complaining that all anyone knows about are my ants. So far this year we've had 63 articles on TV, on the radio or in print. It's important to keep it in the public eye.
Teleost

Postby Teleost » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:58 pm

Barnaby Joyce is hogging the limelight, but four awards for the team!!

https://invasives.org.au/projects/froggatt-awards/
Teleost

Postby roughbarked » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:58 pm

Take what you can get.
roughbarked

Postby *jj* » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:25 pm

That's beaut news for your team Teleost.
I was interested to read about that ento too ... how dreadful to see a likely outcome like that and not get the needed support.
*jj*

Previous

Return to Nature