-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Nature's QuestaGame

Na

Nature's QuestaGame

Postby *jj* » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:03 pm

An online friend has been developing this for a while and I thought it might be of interest to you folk.

http://www.questagame.com/

"QuestaGame takes you outdoors - to your backyard, your neighbourhood, a park, anywhere at all - and sets you out on quests in the natural environment. Submit sightings, earn gold, conquer territory, compete with other players and more.

Available on the App Store and Google Play. It’s free!"
*jj*

Re: Nature's QuestaGame

Postby Helix » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:19 pm

I've been identifying some stuff for them and you've just reminded me that I have one outstanding ID.

Oops!
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:29 am

Speaking of identifying. An old one is the birds nest fungi that I find in Casuarina mulch where I've planted the trees. My older version of Fuhrer didn't help but now I've had someone suggest that: "From their shape, they look like they are Cyathus olla".

It appears that this species has been recorded in Qld. The mind does boggle as to how I got it.

roughbarked

Postby Helix » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:58 am

roughbarked wrote:Speaking of identifying. An old one is the birds nest fungi that I find in Casuarina mulch where I've planted the trees. My older version of Fuhrer didn't help but now I've had someone suggest that: "From their shape, they look like they are Cyathus olla".

It appears that this species has been recorded in Qld. The mind does boggle as to how I got it.

On mulch seems to be the most likely answer.

The Atlas of Living Australia indicates that it's more widespread in Aus than just Queensland.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:27 pm

Helix wrote:
roughbarked wrote:Speaking of identifying. An old one is the birds nest fungi that I find in Casuarina mulch where I've planted the trees. My older version of Fuhrer didn't help but now I've had someone suggest that: "From their shape, they look like they are Cyathus olla".

On mulch seems to be the most likely answer.

The Atlas of Living Australia indicates that it's more widespread in Aus than just Queensland.

Well we can add my location to the ALA map. As to cheap potting mix, I don't tend to buy such stuff. I do tend to compost my own but when I was producing huge amounts of native trees, I was buying in stuff like pine bark fines, grape marc sand and loams to help with the mixes. All but the pinebark would have been local though. As far as it goes, the Cyathus only occur on the Casuarina mulch which was created in situ by the trees. There doesn't appear to be any on the Eucalyptus and other species litter.
roughbarked

Return to Nature