-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Bird Nesting in Fabricated Stuff

Na

Bird Nesting in Fabricated Stuff

Postby sci_fi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi Everyone,
Got my Grey Shrike Thrush back in the shed nesting in a steel Tyre rim that I mounted on the wall to store fire fighting hose.
Any one else got examples of birds nesting in their structures?
I have also got a small masonite box with round hole near my back door - the sparrows own this one.
I know they are a pest etc. but, they are fun to watch their mating rituals and their comings and goings.
I have taken their eggs - but they keep on re-laying thie egss -so in one way it is a form of Sparrow population control.
Also got crested pigeons, willy wags, white plumed, wattle birds, magpies, wrens and blackbirds nesting.
Oh and also mudlarks. Wood duck chicks appear soon.
What an exciting time of the year!
sci_fi

Re: Bird Nesting in Fabricated Stuff

Postby Teleost » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:21 pm

When I worked at Fisheries, we had Sunbirds nesting in the workshop directly above the workbench.

Not quite in stuff, but I would regularly be using power tools and they were unaffected. It was pretty cool to have them flying around your head while using a drill or grinder.

We have had ospreys nesting on the radio mast at our local ambulance station since 2000.
Teleost

Postby roughbarked » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:01 am

Birds nest where they can. I've seen mudlarks building on the insulator used to take the slack out of a powerline that crossed the road. Have seen crows nest between the two bits of metal that made up a road sign. Magpies use wire in their nests often. We should all be familiar with swallows nesting under the verandah and sparrows up the RHS beams in farm sheds, starlings in the slow combiustion stove flue and etc.

Chop all their trees down and wonder why they nest wherever they can?
roughbarked

Postby sci_fi » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:57 pm

Thanks for the interesting list of spots where birds nest.
When the hormones are running, maybe we all don't make good decisions!
Think I spotted where the blackbirds are nesting today.
Very lucky find.
They seem to be so clever in not giving away their nest location.
What should I do here?
sf
sci_fi

Postby roughbarked » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:32 am

sci_fi wrote:Thanks for the interesting list of spots where birds nest.
When the hormones are running, maybe we all don't make good decisions!
Think I spotted where the blackbirds are nesting today.
Very lucky find.
They seem to be so clever in not giving away their nest location.
What should I do here?
sf

Any indication that you have spotted the nest will result in the female blackbird abandoning the nest. Best idea is to deliberately damage the nest or remove it. Keep monitoring and removing nests and she will find some other location.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:25 am

Further, if you bait rat traps with bite size ortions of fruit preferably berries or small pieces of fruit best colours are red through to black. ie; strawberries and cherries to grapes., bits of tomato. Set these as early in the morning as possible. Set them only on the ground, preferrably in the shade. When you get rid of the female, there will be a brief respite in the numbers of blackbirds invading your space.
If you have plants like Cretageous, Cottoneaster or Privet. REMOVE THEM.
roughbarked

Postby sci_fi » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:12 pm

Good tips here.
They do make a mess around gardens - forever cleaning up after them.
Supremely cunning are those blackbirds wrt nest location.
thanks again
sf
sci_fi

Postby roughbarked » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:24 am

A cherry grower told me that he uses ratsak which he places under the mulch. When the blackbird scratches the mulch it spots the ratsak and swallows it down. Apparently the birds then go away to die. I'd never countenance such a method but he reckons it works.
roughbarked

Postby Teleost » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:45 am

Ratsak doesn't work on birds.

I once saw this proved very clearly by a bloke I shared a camp site with. He got the irrits with the Indian Mynahs all around the place so he mixed up a load of ratsak with mince and gave them a good feed.

His attempt at eradicating the birds was revenged when the birds didn't die but perched above his camp with a serious case of the shits. His whole camp was covered in bird shit.
Teleost

Postby roughbarked » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:51 pm

:) yeah well, I've never tried ratsak for birds and never will but that was what the bloke who told me believed. He never saw any dead bodies so he thought that they went away to die like it said on the box.
roughbarked

Return to Nature