-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Aussie Backyard Bird Count

Na

Aussie Backyard Bird Count

Postby Helix » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:07 am

Starts today. Record the birds in your backyard (or elsewhere) over a 20 minute period and add them to the nation-wide database. All you have to do is register and upload your sightings via your smartphone or the website.

The front page is here: Aussie Backyard Bird Count. Scroll down to register and add data.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Re: Aussie Backyard Bird Count

Postby Helix » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:08 pm

Right. I've done two checklists today -- one at the rainforest house and one on this farm. Nice haul. I'll have another look tomorrow.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:10 pm

For some reason. Dialup or mobile internet. I still have trouble with online forms.

The instant bird recognising software goes off the first word.

I was told that Mallee has nothing to do with my location. That no ringnecked parrakeet is possible here?

Which is actually, rubbish.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:15 pm

The interesting part about all of this will of course be, what birds you have and why.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:33 pm

roughbarked wrote:For some reason. Dialup or mobile internet. I still have trouble with online forms.

I was told that Mallee has nothing to do with my location. That no ringnecked parrakeet is possible here?

If you type in 'ring', the first species to come up is Australian Ringneck. Perhaps you haven't set the location correctly?
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:02 am

Helix wrote:
roughbarked wrote:For some reason. Dialup or mobile internet. I still have trouble with online forms.

If you type in 'ring', the first species to come up is Australian Ringneck. Perhaps you haven't set the location correctly?

Thanks, I'll try that. They select my location via maps google apsis. Though google may be confused since I try to tell gpogle as little as possible.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:48 am

OK I've set the location properly and typed ring. Got two choices: Barnardius zonarius and Psittacula krameri There is no Barnardius barnardi.

OK so I wiki it and read this: Traditionally, two species were recognised in the genus Barnardius, the Port Lincoln parrot (Barnardius zonarius) and the mallee ringneck (Barnardius barnardi),[2] but the two species readily interbred at the contact zone and are now considered one species.

I'm learning.

Could also teach wiki: This species eats a wide range of foods that include nectar, insects, seeds, fruit, and native and introduced bulbs. It will eat orchard-grown fruit and is sometimes seen as a pest by farmers.

I've observed them delicately nibbling the actual flowers of Eremophila rather than eating the fruits which they do to my nectarines. I've seen that though the local populations had at one time looked endangered, they now are part of the city parrot scene locally and eat stuff like plane tree seeds and grape seeds in vineyards.
roughbarked

Postby buffy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:52 am

Damn, registered last Monday, went to work all week and forgot all about it. We did 20 minutes in the backyard around 7.00pm yesterday evening, but my 3 kookas of the morning weren't there. Didn't have time in the morning to do a 20 minute count.' Although, now I think about it, I could put them in, because I know when they were there. Might go and do that. Then we think we'll make up a couple of ham sammiches and go over the road into the park, where there is a water garden, and do a count there. I think this is the last day.
buffy

Postby buffy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:25 pm

Gosh, nearly missed that! We saw a pair of brolgas last Monday as we were driving back from the bush. I know exactly where and when. I've put that into the count too.
buffy

Postby roughbarked » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:30 pm

Takes me longer than twenty minutes to get a form filled out.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:35 pm

buffy wrote:Gosh, nearly missed that! We saw a pair of brolgas last Monday as we were driving back from the bush. I know exactly where and when. I've put that into the count too.

Good one!
'
'About ten minutes after I finished a count at the rainforest place, a boatbill turned up. Little so and so.
Helix

Postby buffy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:45 pm

But there is nothing to stop you doing an extra one or two minute count and putting that one in too. That's what I did for the Brolgas. As we saw them as we drove past (we were checking for swans on that spot, actually, as we always do, and we both shouted "BROLGA!!"), I just entered date, time and said it was a two minute count.

Just did a 10 minute park walk. Those Pacific black ducklings are sooo sweet! Mum took them under the willow branches to hide, but Mr buffy and I went one on each side and I got a good look at them. Other birds more mundane (although the ducks are pretty mundane anyway), including a beautiful kookaburra sitting on a sign and eyeing us off, mudlarks (peewees to you lot), maggies, wattlebirds, our resident swallows, the usual ravens. Ferals included starlings, Euro finches and blackbirds. The sparrows seem to not be crossing the road. They are in my garden, but didn’t see any in the park. And the seagulls are all down at the barbecue area begging, because there is some sort of group gathering having lunch there today.

It’s tempting to go out to the bird hide at the swamp late in the afternoon to look for the lovely things that live out there. Includes a swamp harrier out there. But if we do that it will be with jeans and gumboots on and eyes peeled for slithery folks
buffy

Postby buffy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:48 pm

It didn't occur to me to put the extra ones in as short count periods until an hour ago or so, but it is quite within the parameters to do that as far as I can tell. I went backwards in time for yesterday's trio of kookaburras too. I'm just a bit annoyed none of our yellow tailed black cockies have been around this week. And we missed the black swans by a couple of weeks for this count. And just when the galahs choose not to roost in our backyard, so I can't include them either.

:)
buffy

Postby Helix » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:53 pm

Just been checking the reports around here. Someone did Hastie's Swamp, which is great, and also Lake Barrine.

At some point I need to start a proper birdlist -- and keep updating it!

A few brolga reports, but only one person got sarus. It's at the end of the sarus season and they're all heading back to the Gulf for the Wet. It's always a bit special to see them, because they are so restricted in distribution.
Helix

Postby Helix » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:56 pm

buffy wrote:It didn't occur to me to put the extra ones in as short count periods until an hour ago or so, but it is quite within the parameters to do that as far as I can tell. I went backwards in time for yesterday's trio of kookaburras too. I'm just a bit annoyed none of our yellow tailed black cockies have been around this week. And we missed the black swans by a couple of weeks for this count. And just when the galahs choose not to roost in our backyard, so I can't include them either.

:)

*shakes fist at itinerant birds*

There are magpie geese and plumed whistling-ducks on the creek that's just off the farm, so I didn't include those. I think I've been adhering too rigidly to the rules!
Helix

Postby Helix » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:01 pm

I'm going to see if they did a list at Kingfisher Park. Oh, they did! And they got fig-parrots. Lucky things. Fig-parrots aren't rare, but I have yet to see them. I am a rubbish bird-watcher.
Helix

Postby buffy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:27 pm

I need Mr buffy. I'm good with fungi and plants, but birds move....

I'm making a sunbonnet. Out of an old dress and an old sheet. Gotta do it properly and flourbags are hard to come by these days. (But not impossible)
buffy

Postby roughbarked » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:56 am

There was a fig parrot that wanted to attack me when I was letting the chooks in and out of their pen or collecting eggs, at Newrybar. Vicious things when they are protecting their nest.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:49 am

roughbarked wrote:There was a fig parrot that wanted to attack me when I was letting the chooks in and out of their pen or collecting eggs, at Newrybar. Vicious things when they are protecting their nest.

Of course there was. But I'm surprised it got a look in, what with all the ticks and ants.
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:49 pm

Helix wrote:
roughbarked wrote:There was a fig parrot that wanted to attack me when I was letting the chooks in and out of their pen or collecting eggs, at Newrybar. Vicious things when they are protecting their nest.

Of course there was. But I'm surprised it got a look in, what with all the ticks and ants.

Only brought it up because you said you hadn't seen one. It didn't hurt me like the ants and ticks did. Made some frightening noises though.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:41 pm

Aussie Backyard Bird Count results are now available. Includes Excel checklists of all species recorded.
Helix

Postby *jj* » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:28 pm

"With numbers down 84%...
how long before the Lesser Sand Plover is extinct?"
https://support.birdlife.org.au/emailvi ... 59a177ea3b
and I see a few birds / small mammals etc are in grave danger with habitat loss in WA fires too.
Have hears only of farming land lost in SA's mid-north but could have missed stuff.
These days I stick to the weather reports ,,, quite enough news for me.
*jj*

Return to Nature