-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Na

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Postby Teleost » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:32 pm

If I can catch the mongrel who is spreading the critters I chase all over FNQ, I'm going to rip them a new one (and push for prosecution).

There are two free greenwaste dumps within 15 minutes drive from two of the latest infestations I've found. Instead, this cretin is spreading the love around by dumping garden waste left right and centre.

How much can I get a discrete self contained surveillance camera for? A still photo every 10-15 minutes (unfortunately it'd need to work in low light), downloaded and batteries changed once a week should do the trick.
Teleost

Re: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Postby fsm » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:19 pm

Jaycar have cameras with IR LEDs for night time illumination. These devices can be monitored over the internet via a smartphone.

Jaycar Wi-Fi Infrared Cameras
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Teleost » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Ta fsm. That gives me another option.

I'm going to give these guys a call in the morning as the unit looks like it'd do the job really well. http://www.digilant.com.au/Products/XternCam.aspx

I'm fairly sure I can put a good business case together, but I may have to monitor a number of sites so it could possibly get expensive given the clams needed for the only product I can find on their website that has a price tag.
Teleost

Postby morrie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:49 pm

In the National Parks near here there are signs saying 'Surveillance cameras in use'. I suspect that there are no cameras, but it probably puts a few people off doing antisocial things.
morrie

Postby Teleost » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:58 pm

I suspect you're right about signs and no cameras. If it was a matter of simply detering the behaviour, this would be a good option.

The problem I have, is that I need to be able to identify the individual as they are spreading a highly invasive pest. There is an infestation that we do not know the location of so we need to find it quickly to prevent further spread and trace other potentialy infested sites.
Teleost

Postby roughbarked » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:07 am

It has always been against the law and carries penalties but the problem always has been catching them in the act. Australia is a big place but just around every corner is another pile of dumped wastes. I cannot comprehend why people pay good money for garbage collection services and then not use them.
roughbarked

Postby boxy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:45 pm

Wait, what?

What are we talking about? :confused: :unsure:
boxy

Postby roughbarked » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:50 pm

Well, imagine that green wastes may hold many problematic issues best kept in your backyard or preferably, cleaned up in your backyard. It is a bit like dumping your dog's doings in a pre-school playground. Most of us see the easily visible aspects of dumping green waste, such as kikuyu spreading along roadsides and channel banks where it has been dumped from lawn clippings and edgings. A lot of things can escape into waterways from dumped wastes.
roughbarked

Postby boxy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:40 pm

Well yes. But I don't see a surveillance camera being of much use in catching the culprit, if that's all there is to it.
boxy

Return to Nature