-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

An adventure.

Na

An adventure.

Postby fsm » Wed May 01, 2013 11:10 pm

This weekend (or maybe next) we are going to explore the Elvina Track engraving site in the Kuringai National Park, just North of Sydney. This site has the "emu-in-the-sky" engraving that aligns with the "constellation" when emus are laying their eggs. It is an extensive Aboriginal 'male initiation' engraving site. There is a car park and a 200 metre walk to the site.

If any Sydney-siders (or others) would like to come along for an afternoon of adventure, photography and fun then give us a hoy. The late afternoon is the best time to photograph the petroglyphs as the grooves become shadowed and more pronounced.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: An adventure.

Postby fsm » Thu May 02, 2013 8:58 pm

This site has a great shot of the “emu-in-the-sky” and information about the Elvina Track engraving site…

Elvina Track Engraving Site
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby fsm » Thu May 09, 2013 10:25 am

Our big adventure is happening this weekend. Ruby shall be astride an elephant, covered in veils and drinking mint juleps. I will be trudging behind, wearing a pith helmet and carrying cameras, tripods and assorted baggage.

The Elvina Track is located at UBD street directory reference Map 117 G5. From Sydney, go up the Pacific Highway and turn right at Mona Vale Road. Turn left into McCarrs Creek Road and then left into West Head Road. The carpark near the engraving site is about 2km on the right. The engraving site is about 200 meters from the carpark. You can 'Google Earth' the site at these co-ordinates: 33.64365 S 151.26398 E

We will be there about 1:00pm Saturday. Everybody is welcome to come along.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby Helix » Thu May 09, 2013 10:29 am

Might I suggest that you walk in front of the elephant, pith helmet or not.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby flying spaghetti monster » Thu May 09, 2013 10:43 am

Elephant?? You didn't tell me I had to supply an elephant. Can we detour via Taronga Park?
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
flying spaghetti monster

Postby fsm » Sat May 11, 2013 11:44 am

It's rained overnight and it's cool and cloudy with possible showers for today. But we will be brave and face the elements on our quest this afternoon. Apparently we are not allowed to take an elephant into a national park, so he'll have to hide in the back seat with a blanket over his head.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby Helix » Sat May 11, 2013 11:51 am

You could pack it in the trunk.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby jennajones » Sat May 11, 2013 12:19 pm

Helix wrote:You could pack it in the trunk.

Boom Boom!
jennajones

Postby justjj » Sat May 11, 2013 1:28 pm

*exits, laughing*

(a good way to go :))
justjj

Postby flying spaghetti monster » Sat May 11, 2013 7:35 pm

It was a soggy day, but a lovely afternoon was had anyway.

The carvings and the GPS were equally good. The rocks and plants were also good. I think there's going to be a thread needed on tessellated rocks now!
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
flying spaghetti monster

Postby fsm » Sat May 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Here are some pictures from the Elvina Track engraving site that we visited today. Unfortunately, today was cloudy with a chance of meatballs so there were no shadows and the engravings may be hard to discern. We are planning another trip on a sunnier afternoon - the site is very expansive and will take a few days to explore completely.

These wallabies are at the entrance to the site and indicate that this is a male initiation site.

Some fish.

Shields.

I think this one is a goanna.

A bowl in the rock with grooves in the sides.

Emus. Someone has filled in the first one with sand. The second one is the 'Great Emu In The Sky'.

These are some fakes that someone has drawn. It looks like they have used a soft rock to draw with, like using chalk on the footpath. There is no grooving into the rock.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby fsm » Sun May 12, 2013 10:20 am

This shows the engraving site and everywhere that I walked yesterday. The carpark is at the top left. Elvina Bay is 3.1 km to the right.

Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Return to Nature