-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

The world wide water supply..

Na

The world wide water supply..

Postby bentwagon » Thu May 09, 2013 10:38 am

Hi all
There has been a thought in my mind that has caused me to come up with this question... How much of the Earths water supply has been "confiscated" by us humans and what effect has this had on the environment? By confiscated, I mean how much water is locked up in things like - pipework, bottled water (and other food/drink containers), water storage tanks, swimming pools, fish tanks and so on. Water containment has not been practiced for what I could guess is not too much more than 100 years, so is all this "global warming" due to the decrease in available water for nature to take its course??

What are your thoughts??
bentwagon

Re: The world wide water supply..

Postby fsm » Thu May 09, 2013 8:32 pm

bentwagon wrote:Hi all
There has been a thought in my mind that has caused me to come up with this question... How much of the Earths water supply has been "confiscated" by us humans and what effect has this had on the environment? By confiscated, I mean how much water is locked up in things like - pipework, bottled water (and other food/drink containers), water storage tanks, swimming pools, fish tanks and so on. Water containment has not been practiced for what I could guess is not too much more than 100 years, so is all this "global warming" due to the decrease in available water for nature to take its course??

What are your thoughts??

All of those forms of water are still in the water cycle, someone will drink the bottled water, the fish tank will evaporate, etc.

But there is quite a lot of water that gets bound up in concrete.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mollwollfumble » Sat May 11, 2013 3:33 pm

> how much water is locked up in things like - pipework, bottled water (and other food/drink containers), water storage tanks, swimming pools, fish tanks and so on.

I ought to be able to calculate that. Let me think, figures are give or take a factor of 2 or more:
Pipework - 50 million cubic metres
Bottled (including food) - 15 million cubic metres
Water storage tanks - 30 million cubic metres
Swimming pools - 500 million cubic metres
Fish tanks - 3 million cubic metres

All together, that's about the amount of water that the Amazon River discharges into the sea in three quarters of an hour.

Or put another way, enough to lower the surface of the sea by 0.004 mm, about the width of a human cell.
mollwollfumble

Postby bentwagon » Thu May 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Hmm, interesting - puts into perspective how much waters out there
bentwagon

Postby bentwagon » Thu May 16, 2013 1:27 pm

I Should have checked Wiki first...

Water covers 71% of the Earth's surface,[3] and is vital for all known forms of life.[4] On Earth, 96.5% of the planet's water is found in oceans, 1.7% in groundwater, 1.7% in glaciers and the ice caps of Antarctica and Greenland, a small fraction in other large water bodies, and 0.001% in the air as vapor, clouds (formed of solid and liquid water particles suspended in air), and precipitation.[5][6] Only 2.5% of the Earth's water is freshwater, and 98.8% of that water is in ice and groundwater. Less than 0.3% of all freshwater is in rivers, lakes, and the atmosphere, and an even smaller amount of the Earth's freshwater (0.003%) is contained within biological bodies and manufactured products.[5]
bentwagon

Postby justjj » Thu May 16, 2013 1:32 pm

But then I'd have missed out on wondering about the question and then being surprised by the answer.
I'd never thought to ask the question and am glad you did.
I was astonished at the distribution, though maybe shouldn't have been.
justjj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Nature