-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Photography CHAT

Ph

Photography CHAT

Postby justjj » Tue May 14, 2013 8:07 pm

http://stampouttrampants.wordpress.com/
"Send us your best images of insects in the Wet Tropics for the chance to win some great prizes and have your images displayed for all to see in an on-line gallery and an exhibition at the Tanks Arts Centre!

This contest is being held to raise awareness of electric and yellow crazy ants (collectively known as “tramp ants”) and help reduce the spread and impact of these nasty little pests. Both have been introduced to the Wet Tropics, and pose a serious threat to the outstanding biodiversity, outdoor lifestyle, agricultural and tourism industries of the region.

In areas colonised by these ants, insects and small animals disappear very quickly. A study of an electric ant infestation in the Smithfield identified a 95% decline in native ants in the colonised area. We love our bug life and don’t want it to disappear, so we thought an insect photography contest would be a great way to raise awareness of tramp ants and the harm they can do in the region.

..."
justjj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Photography CHAT

Postby justjj » Mon May 20, 2013 9:09 pm

justjj

Postby fsm » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby freak » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:02 pm

Sorry I only just found this forum - don't know which rock I was living under for the past few months, but anyway - hello!

:)
freak

Postby Helix » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:17 pm

freak wrote:Sorry I only just found this forum - don't know which rock I was living under for the past few months, but anyway - hello!

Hello back atcha.

Glad you're here! There are some fine photos --- quite a lot of fine photos --- in that NZ collection.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby roughbarked » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:45 am

freak wrote:Sorry I only just found this forum - don't know which rock I was living under for the past few months, but anyway - hello!

:) Hello again. :)
roughbarked

Postby justjj » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:01 am

Last time I was here I was able to get a reasonable picture of the moon ... so when I looked out and saw the moon ANd felt that it was a mild morning so up I got ... and by the time I had the fire going the cloud had covered the moon.

Then I found a second-best thing to do ...

while listening to the birds waking ...

Open Culture ‏@openculture 9m

Free Interactive e-Books from NASA Reveal History, Discoveries of the Hubble & Webb Telescopes: http://cultr.me/15CMgeb
Hope YOUR mornings are good too.
justjj

Postby Teleost » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:55 am

Nice find jj.

Some really good work went into those pictures.

Mrs T was really, impressed.
Teleost

Postby Milieu intérieur » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:05 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror

"The first mirrors used by people were most likely pools of dark, still water, or water collected in a primitive vessel of some sort. The earliest manufactured mirrors were pieces of polished stone such as obsidian, a naturally occurring volcanic glass. Examples of obsidian mirrors found in Anatolia (modern-day Turkey) have been dated to around 6000 BC..."
Milieu intérieur

Postby justjj » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:21 am

I'm glad you enjoyed it

and yeah, mirrors and their history are fascinating ... tied to "self" and even taboos at times.
justjj

Postby roughbarked » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Teleost wrote:Nice find jj.

Some really good work went into those pictures.

Mrs T was really, impressed.

I was impressed as well.
roughbarked

Postby justjj » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:18 pm

You beat me to it Helix :)
Thank you!
I am sadly out of practise.

I have so many photographs from my trip, so much to ID and tag.
If I don't do it right away I lose the chance.
Today I had another long walk (well, climb) at one of the kids' places where the plants were fantastic so am going to sit down with photos of them now ... priorities!
justjj

Postby Helix » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:20 pm

justjj wrote:You beat me to it Helix :)
Thank you!
I am sadly out of practise.

I should have left it another few minutes!
Helix

Postby justjj » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:29 pm

YOu know how it is; had you done so, I wouldn't have done anything my end.
It's always the same, all or nothing.

Back in a while ... photos from this am to work through and post for the kids.
justjj

Postby nut » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Greeting all just thought I would let people know I am still here. Been busy at work and haven't picked up my camera for months and months. This is a shot I took just a few minutes back that I destroyed in post processing.

Have a good night all.
nut

Postby justjj » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:08 pm

nut wrote:Greeting all just thought I would let people know I am still here. Been busy at work and haven't picked up my camera for months and months. This is a shot I took just a few minutes back that I destroyed in post processing.

Have a good night all.

Life does get like that doesn't it nut.
Good to see you got such a good shot after such a "rest" though, notwithstanding the post-processing.

I could have used some good photographer here this morning to get a decent photo of a first for here.
A Kingfisher.
I took photos, of course, and they are OK for confirming the ID, but not good enough to share :)
Take Care everyone and avagoodweegend.
justjj

Postby justjj » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:28 pm

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2013/12/06/ne ... oto-shoot/

"Nelson Mandela, the revered statesman who emerged from prison after 27 years to lead South Africa out of decades of apartheid, passed away on December 5, 2013. Few men in the history of mankind have had more impact on a nation and inspired the world like the former president.

Shortly before he retreated from public life in 2011, Mandela participated in photographer Adrian Steirn’s 21 Icons project — a photographic and short-film series profiling the men and women who shaped modern South Africa."
justjj

Postby justjj » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:09 pm

https://www.lytro.com/camera/

"You’ll never think about pictures the same way.

The Lytro camera lets you create and share living pictures that you and your friends can endlessly refocus after you take them. Your pictures are about to surprise you — and everyone else.

..."
justjj

Postby fsm » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Last week, Ruby found an aboriginal engraving of a whale that is 12 metres long and 6.5 metres wide. I took 1487 photographs of the whale design and have been trying to process a composite image but this computer is not co-operating. We may have to go back and re-shoot it as 3 or 4 smaller panels. Luckily it is not too far away.
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby Helix » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:25 pm

fsm wrote:Last week, Ruby found an aboriginal engraving of a whale that is 12 metres long and 6.5 metres wide. I took 1487 photographs of the whale design and have been trying to process a composite image but this computer is not co-operating. We may have to go back and re-shoot it as 3 or 4 smaller panels. Luckily it is not too far away.

Looking forward to it!
Helix

Postby justjj » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:44 am

Hiya fsm, In serching for info about a place I am learning about in SA, I came across this site and thought it might be of interest to you.

http://geo-sites.zoomshare.com/

And how's this for an interesting spot?

http://davidrowley.co.uk/pano.php?imgha ... amecountry
justjj

Postby fsm » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:57 am

Thanks jj, that's great stuff!
Two + two equals fish.
fsm

Postby justjj » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:42 am

Regional Arts NSW ‏@RegionalArtsNSW Mar 13

New Scientist Eureka Prize for Science Photography NOW OPEN @austmus→ Professionals & Amateurs Apply by 2 May→ http://ow.ly/uuepf
justjj

Postby nut » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:21 pm

Well it has been an eternity since I even saw my camera and it shows but I have picked it up and hope to - over the following weeks - get back into roaming the wilds to find some crazy beasts. To this end I picked it up to make sure the thing still worked.

A humble fly on the fence.

I can see it will be a long journey back. I have some new diffuses order for my MP-E 65 which wont arrive for a couple of weeks.

Canon 40D, MP-E 65mm with MT-24EX twin lite, diffused with baking paper. 1/250s f11.
nut

Postby nut » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Here is a little spider that still managed to scare the hell out of me when it moved a little to fast while looking through the view finder.

Canon 40D, MP-E 65mm with MT-24EX twin lite, diffused with baking paper. 1/250s f11.
nut

Postby Teleost » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:38 am

Nice.

I managed to snap this one the other day during a quiet period.

Teleost

Postby roughbarked » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:34 am

So glad to see you back at the camera viewfinder, nut. :)

and that's a nice shot too, Teleost. :)

I'm hoping to find enough funds somewhere to upgrade my abilities to photograph things with better equipment.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:56 am

roughbarked wrote:I'm hoping to find enough funds somewhere to upgrade my abilities to photograph things with better equipment.

Working is probably the best way.
Helix

Postby nut » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:38 pm

I love raptor shots Teleost so that is just great. I am always excited when I manage a nice bird of prey. It brings the little kid out in me.

That is a nice one Roughie. You are not still with film are you? I vaguely remember you were scanning photos in at one point or is my memory worse than I thought?

Great to see you still around Helix I pop into your blog now and again but I see you must be busy with other stuff. Always good to read you!

-------------------------------

My diffusers arrived fromt he UK! That was quick. Now I just need time and more sleep. I will have to sacrifice the second to get the first, I am sure that will work.
nut

Postby roughbarked » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Helix wrote:
roughbarked wrote:I'm hoping to find enough funds somewhere to upgrade my abilities to photograph things with better equipment.

Working is probably the best way.

Yes, I'm working on the 40 applications per month but not for anyone else's benefit.
roughbarked

Postby roughbarked » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:45 pm

nut wrote:I love raptor shots Teleost so that is just great. I am always excited when I manage a nice bird of prey. It brings the little kid out in me.

That is a nice one Roughie. You are not still with film are you? I vaguely remember you were scanning photos in at one point or is my memory worse than I thought?

Great to see you still around Helix I pop into your blog now and again but I see you must be busy with other stuff. Always good to read you!

-------------------------------

My diffusers arrived fromt he UK! That was quick. Now I just need time and more sleep. I will have to sacrifice the second to get the first, I am sure that will work.

I'd still be with film if I could afford it. There are many things about film that are easier for me than the requirement of software and the hardware to run it on. I'm still using 35 year old lenses and having to try and make them look as good as digital lenses do with software that could be better.

Anyway I agree with all other comments. I'm happy for your appreciation of new filters. :)
roughbarked

Postby nut » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:30 pm

I need to remember how my camera and flash work. Most of my shots were blown out by the flash so I sat down and fiddle the weave. The first one seemed like a nice colour. The second one is taken at 5x so the entire image is about 5mm across give or take.

Canon 40D, MP-E 65mm with MT-24EX twin lite, diffused. 1/250s f13.
nut

Postby roughbarked » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Nice work nut. I can appreciate every step of the process. I've woven photographs like this too.
roughbarked

Postby nut » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:02 pm

This little striped fly was originally stiking a pose but became annoyed with me so just a top down view. It is hard to focus in the night.

Canon 40D, MP-E 65mm with MT-24EX twin lite, diffused. 1/250s f10.
nut

Postby nut » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:05 pm

Wanted to take a shot of something shiney to see the reflection of the new diffusers on my flash - Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX - but it is a dismal evening and wet outside so I nelt down in the wet grass and took a shot of the rain on the grass. You can make out the reflection of the two flash heads quite well. I don't think it is to bad considering. I should have taken one without the diffusers on, maybe next time.

You can see them reflecting in quite a few of the droplets.

nut

Postby roughbarked » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:28 pm

nut wrote:Wanted to take a shot of something shiney to see the reflection of the new diffusers on my flash - Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX - but it is a dismal evening and wet outside so I nelt down in the wet grass and took a shot of the rain on the grass. You can make out the reflection of the two flash heads quite well. I don't think it is to bad considering. I should have taken one without the diffusers on, maybe next time.

You can see them reflecting in quite a few of the droplets.

If using a ringflash one can see the ring reflecting as well. I prefer to try using the available natural light and attempting to deploy the light angles when trying to photograph water droplets.
roughbarked

Postby nut » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:25 pm

roughbarked wrote:...If using a ringflash one can see the ring reflecting as well. I prefer to try using the available natural light and attempting to deploy the light angles when trying to photograph water droplets.

It was a test shot for my then new diffuser but also when photographing at high magnifications the ability to freeze the action without the aid of a tripod is also important.

Show us your droplets?
nut

Postby roughbarked » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:37 am

nut wrote:
roughbarked wrote:...If using a ringflash one can see the ring reflecting as well. I prefer to try using the available natural light and attempting to deploy the light angles when trying to photograph water droplets.

It was a test shot for my then new diffuser but also when photographing at high magnifications the ability to freeze the action without the aid of a tripod is also important.

Show us your droplets?

Gosh I've thousands of shots not worth showing. Maybe a few worth looking at. It is a difficult subject to work with. They go all a quiver while getting close enough to shoot them. Other people do them way better. My limitations are old style lenses, no lens camera communication ie: no light metering flash or auto anything. No EXIF data on lens either. Tripod? dusty in the cupboard. A lot of experimental light painting if you like.
ie: ebony dew is looking into a tiny web in a small depression on the ground.

Some are here https://www.flickr.com/photos/roughbark ... 3934/page2 pages one and two.

and here https://www.flickr.com/photos/roughbark ... 4203548481
and because spider webs and dewdrops feature a lot, many of my arachnid shots are deliberate attempts to catch light and water drops, make rainbows and even catch the spiders doing it. https://www.flickr.com/photos/roughbark ... 4203548481 Which of course means that such photos rarely have a sharp focus on the spider itself.

You are welcome to trawl through and look though I'm no expert and most of my work is guesswork. I don't have dedicated macro lenses and photoshop image stacking and all the fancy stuff that other people use. My photography is pretty basic.
roughbarked

Postby nut » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:53 pm

Nice, very nice!
nut

Postby roughbarked » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks.
roughbarked

Return to Photography