-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Morph globe?

Ph

Morph globe?

Postby mollwollfumble » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:12 pm

Globe1.jpg

Help please.

This image is the only one I can find of Petrus Plancius globe of 1598. Can you morph it so it looks more like a circle and less like a bum? Or find software that will do it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mollwollfumble

Re: Morph globe?

Postby nut » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:58 pm

mollwollfumble wrote:
Globe1.jpg

Help please.

This image is the only one I can find of Petrus Plancius globe of 1598. Can you morph it so it looks more like a circle and less like a bum? Or find software that will do it?

I don't think that is the Plancius Globe of 1598.
nut

Postby nut » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:44 pm

The globe you have here is one from 1589.

In 1589, he [Petrus Plancius] (with a couple of Danish cartographer Jacob Floris van Langrenom - Jacob Floris van Langren) makes a celestial globe, using the reporting tools Andreas Corsano, Amerigo Vespucci and the Treaty of Spanish historian Pedro de Medina "The Art of Navigation" (Arte de Navegar). He puts on his four new object in the southern sky: two Magellanic Clouds (still untitled), and two constellations: the Southern Cross and the Southern Triangle . Cross and Triangle, however, was only announced as an idea: they were applied to the Globe probation and their position is not consistent with the real. Later Plantsius clarified their position.

Ref: http://www.astromyth.ru/History/Plancius.htm Google Translate.

Obviously I could be wrong as I used Google and its translation tools a lot to find this information but in the writing on the bottom of the globe that is not readable in your picture it says "... Anno Domini 1589 ..."

Hope this helped :)
nut

Postby nut » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:08 pm

More like a circle and less like a bum Globe Jacob Florentius van Longeren, 1589..
nut

Postby mollwollfumble » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:50 pm

Thanks very much, nut. :-)

Great things are said about the 1598 Petrus Plancius globe. eg. Wikipedia credits it with the first illustrations of constellations Apis (later changed to Musca), Apus, Chamaeleon, Dorado, Grus, Hydrus, Indus, Pavo, Phoenix, Triangulum Australe, Tucana, and Volan. It's also said to be the first appearance of the southern end of Eridanus. Finding a photo of it has been difficult. You're right in that this could be the earlier 1589 globe that he collaborated on with Jacob Floris van Langren.
mollwollfumble

Postby mollwollfumble » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:59 pm

Ah, I see why finding a photo may be impossible. Found this on the web: "the one known copy of the 1598 Plancius/Hondius globe, housed in the Gymnasium at Zerbst, was lost during World War II".
mollwollfumble

Postby roughbarked » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:08 am

mollwollfumble wrote:Ah, I see why finding a photo may be impossible. Found this on the web: "the one known copy of the 1598 Plancius/Hondius globe, housed in the Gymnasium at Zerbst, was lost during World War II".

Wars have a lot to answer for but then again, fires floods etc..
roughbarked

Postby nut » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Here is some additional information that I had while searching that I am about to delete from my desktop.

The writing on the pole of the globe from: http://www.atlascoelestis.com/desu%20Plancius.htm (Google Translate page) with translation of that text below.

"In hoc globo emendando suam operam adhibuit. Rod: Snellius, in alma. Universitate Lugdunensi Bat. professor Mathematicus: ut etia fecit Petrus Placius" "Arnoldus florentius filius sculptor: Anstelredami Anno Domini 1589"

"Serenissimo atq: potentis:simo Principi & Domino, D. Christiano iiii. Daniae, Norvegiae Vandalorum & Gothorum Regi; Duci Sles:trici, Holsatiae Stormariae & Dirmarsiae; Comiti Ol:denburgi & Delmenhorsti, Jacobus florentius Birratectensis dedicabat."

"De Polo Antarctico & Syderibus austrinis. Globi huius pars Antarctica manerer vacua, ut sunt ceteri omnes, quos mihi quidem hacteus videre contigir, Australes hasce stellas ex observationibus Andreae Corsalij Florentini desumpsi; easq cum Alberia Vespurij, & Petri Medinensis scriptis diligenter consult, arq "hanc formam redegi. At cum de earum longitudine, latitudine, magnitudine" hacura nihil hac-tenus viderim, quod mihi per omnia satisfaceret. Omner rogatos volo, si certius quid de hac rehabeant, ut in comune bonum nos certiores faciant. De Polo Antarctico scribit Corsalius, quod due nubeculae mediocri magnitudine saris evidenter eum oftendant, quae una cum sydere semper in medio (quod a Polo fere undecim gradus distat) nunc se deprimentes, nunc erigentes circa illum continuo motu circular circumferentur."

And Google translate:

"In this group of corrections applied by one's work. Rod: Snellius in fostering. Bat the University of Lyon. Mathematician professor, that he even made ​​Peter Place" "Florence, the son of sculptor Arnaldo: Anstelredami the year 1589"

"Serene inspiration: a warrior, and the snub Prince, Christian D. four. Denmark, Norway, the King of the Goths and Vandals; Sles Duke: TOYS, Holstein Stormariae & Dirmarsiae; Earl OL: denburgi & Delmenhorsti, James, Florence Birratectensis and dedicated."

"The stars of the South Pole and Antarctica. Antarctica Manor empty part of the globe, as are all the rest, in my opinion hacteus contigir see the southern stars from these observations Andrew Corsalij Florence rightly managed; easq Vespurij with Albert and Peter Medinensis writing more carefully, arq "I have reduced them. But when it refers to their length, the breadth, the size of "there is no such hacura-down should have seen, that I am in every satisfied., Administered all I wish, if this thing out of the recover with greater certainty, as in the common good that we should keep him informed. Corsalius writes of the Pole Antarctic, that two little clouds of moderate size oftendant him clearly enough, which together with the star is always in the middle (which is distant from the Pole nearly eleven degrees) now they oppress, now holding about a circular motion around him. "

There was also this and by way of introducing the page "Constellations are not always existed as we know them today. Some only have survived in their original forms. The Latin term "constellatio" (grouping of stars) is born only in 1265, while up to that point was simply used the name "astra" or "sidera" (= star).". Triangle Antarctic is clearly the exact same iamge as yours but at higher resolution.

Hemisphere
TRIANGLE ANTARCTIC:
introduced by Plancius and depicted in 1589: it is represented with its summit in the southern Chameleon and the other 2 stars in the constellation Carina.

It was interesting reading the bits of information I journeyed through. You research some very interesting directions.
nut

Return to Photography