-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

What would I see instead of pixels?

Ph

What would I see instead of pixels?

Postby moonmaid » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:38 pm

I zoomed in on photos last night to correct red eye.
Got me wondering about photos taken from non digital cameras and photos not scanned into computer.

If I could zoom into them without using the computer. Maybe a microscope?
What kind of structure would I see? (no luck googling).
moonmaid

Re: What would I see instead of pixels?

Postby nut » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:26 pm

Depends whether it is raster or vector based ;) Fractal or other.

I think it depends on the context. Eventually you wont be looking at the picture any longer and instead be looking at the paper it is printed on.

Eventually you find that all pictures are just made up from old discarded keyboards.

I always think of these type of things by association Coastline Paradox but perhaps that is just me.
nut

Postby moonmaid » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:37 am

Oh nut! I can't understand that ;)

Very creative keyboard artist.

The graph on the wiki link seems out of wack with the coastline and text below (in case you created the page).
moonmaid

Postby Teleost » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:00 pm

Photographic films and papers are made using a crystaline emulsion. In the old days (black and white) it was silver nitrate. I have no idea what chemicals they use for colour. As it's crystaline, you get a similar effect to pixels - similar, not the same.

So as you zoom in (or enlarge), you'll see "grain" beginning to appear. The further you enlarge, the less distinct the grain becomes until you eventually lose all definition and are faced with just a blurry blob.
Teleost

Postby moonmaid » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:07 am

Thanks Teleost. That's more understandable for someone like me. I popped in to find out about internet.
moonmaid

Return to Photography