-Filter Forums-
Loading posts...

Capital Hill, Canberra. Roundabouts

Au

Capital Hill, Canberra. Roundabouts

Postby moonmaid » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:15 pm

I've been over to Canberra 2 or 3 times in the past 6 months - things for uni with my son - and I have no idea about these roundabouts. I follow the signs to the "City" (from Queanbeyan direction along Canberra Avenue). I am utterly bamboozled about where I went and it's been pure luck that I happened to get across the lake. It doesn't seem that I drove about a 2/3 of a circle on "State Circle" and then onto Commonwealth Avenue which takes me north across Lake Burley Griffin.

Would I go that route? I've enlarged maps but it isn't clear to me if there is traffic both ways on both "State Circle" and "Capital Circle". Seems I might not be able to turn left off "State Circle" to get onto Commonwealth Ave anyway?
aaaarrghh. Even getting directions from 'where is' seems different to where I drove.

Ya think I'd be able to see what's going on enlarging maps online and that it would show if these 2 major roads in a major city were two way or not.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-35.300 ... 291577,14z

Anyone know this madhouse? What route did I take going from Queanbeyan to Canberra City? And are both those Circles two way?
And what one of the Circles would I be on for the return trip?
Thanks
MM
moonmaid

Re: Capital Hill, Canberra. Roundabouts

Postby moonmaid » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:31 pm

What's this 'uncyclopedia' that looks like Wikipedia?

Has it got Canberra down pat? lol

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Canberra
moonmaid

Postby Teleost » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:00 am

Sorry Moonmaid I can't help you there.

Canberra's the only capital city I haven't driven in. From my limited experience with circular streets I can tell you, circles are a stupid way to build a city.
Teleost

Postby Helix » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:23 am

At least it's difficult to get lost on circuits, because you end up where you started.

There aren't that many of them in Canberra. You make it sound as if the city were designed with a Spirograph.
At the fringes of civilisation
Helix

Postby justjj » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:57 pm

I don't know Helix, we found Canberra's roundabouts really idiosyncratic.
That was years ago, and thing smihgt have changed; it would be nothing remarkable for me to not "get" the system, but Trevor was as flummoxed as I.

It's a bit like those right-hand-turns in Melbourne; once you get the hang of it, it's simple, but oh boy!

(I must confess my memories of it probably would have been a bit like spirograph patterns :))
justjj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Helix » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:41 pm

An alternative route from Queanbeyan to ANU might be to go the long way around via the airport or the Monaro Hwy so avoiding the circuits altogether.

I'd suggest the best way of looking at Google Maps to see what's happening with traffic direction is to use Google Street view. I've found it invaluable for that sort of thing. Even just dragging the little yellow person over the map will often highlight the number of lanes.
Helix

Postby moonmaid » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:14 am

Google earth made it a bit clearer. It might help if I positioned 'street view' to try and see the signs. Maybe later.

No matter, I'll sort it out next trip. And if anyone else HAS to drive near Parliament House in Canberra I can email you my map.
moonmaid

Postby roughbarked » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:30 am

moonmaid wrote:Google earth made it a bit clearer. It might help if I positioned 'street view' to try and see the signs. Maybe later.

No matter, I'll sort it out next trip. And if anyone else HAS to drive near Parliament House in Canberra I can email you my map.

It's OK. Last time I got lost there, I slipped off the road under a culvert and drove through the park.
roughbarked

Postby Helix » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:58 am

roughbarked wrote:It's OK. Last time I got lost there, I slipped off the road under a culvert and drove through the park.

That's not getting lost. That's dangerous driving.
Helix

Postby moonmaid » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:37 am

"It's OK. Last time I got lost there, I slipped off the road under a culvert and drove through the park."

Must get a 4WD or a horse.
moonmaid

Postby roughbarked » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:59 pm

Helix wrote:
roughbarked wrote:It's OK. Last time I got lost there, I slipped off the road under a culvert and drove through the park.

That's not getting lost. That's dangerous driving.

:)
Yet I did get away with it to the mild amusement of the walkers, joggers and bicycle riders.
roughbarked

Postby Grasshopper » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:57 pm

Haven't been to Canberra for quite awhile but always think it is hell of a crazy city, 1st time I went there I went in circles.
Grasshopper

Postby roughbarked » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:08 am

Grasshopper wrote:Haven't been to Canberra for quite awhile but always think it is hell of a crazy city, 1st time I went there I went in circles.

That's the point of it all. Keep driving and you'll end up back in the same place eventually. ;)
roughbarked

Return to Automotive